163 replies to this topic

#101 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

HaroldSnepts:

I saw a post on the Yahoo blog and wanted to get the opinion of the people on this site. I can not add a poll to your Topic and don't see the need to start a new one.

Can you add a poll asking:
1. Do you think Colin Campbell will be fired?
2. Do you think Colin Campbell should be fired?

No big deal if not!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#102 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

This story is generating some momentum here in the greater Boston Region. A local sports talk tv show is covering this as when Savard is healthy he will play for Boston (unless traded).

They have said that while there is no evidence that he used his hatred for Savard to not suspend Cooke, these emails should be the basis for termination.

Ok so they are saying "He should be FIAARD" *Insert Mass accent*.

I too watched the Blues Avs game and the new overtime show not to see what they had to say, because I had read almost all that there was to read on my own. But to see whether they covered it. They choose to ignore it, that is bush league. These guys are journalists now. Whether they were a Hockey player or an announcer before, they are a journalist now and should be covering what is important not helping the league sweep it under the rug.

Wait what am I talking about Journalistic Integrity in this day an age, I am an ASSHAT!

Honestly, just like in politics, I think journalism is dead in sports. These people are too friendly and close (if not directly employed) by the people they're covering. Gag order or not, they're unlikely to cover anything that could tarnish the image of the league they're working so hard to improve.

This will only really take off if the NHLPA gets involved.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#103 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

I see Nick Kypreos dismissed the report as a "basement blogger". The Nick Kypreos who played 3 seasons under Campbell in NY and won a cup with him..... :thumbdown:

Meanwhile I have managed to obtain top secret footage of a Colin Campbell disciplinary hearing.... :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LiTNYEGztRE
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#104 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Like someone earlier said, no doubt they're probably under specific orders not to do so.

Which is just completely dumb. Not only is it a huge story but most people like some sort of drama in their sports. Some type of scandal is great publicity for any major sport.

#105 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

Which is just completely dumb. Not only is it a huge story but most people like some sort of drama in their sports. Some type of scandal is great publicity for any major sport.

Been waiting for 97.1 to talk about it, but they keep dragging on about the lions. I get it they suck! :hehe: There is actually a worth while topic to discuss and nothing...

#106 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

Been waiting for 97.1 to talk about it, but they keep dragging on about the lions. I get it they suck! :hehe: There is actually a worth while topic to discuss and nothing...

You'll be waiting a while if you want them to discuss hockey for longer than five minutes.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#107 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

Bob McKenzie is towing the company line on TSN. Bunch of cowards...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341501

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#108 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

Bob McKenzie is towing the company line on TSN. Bunch of cowards...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341501

Funny how there is an inability to post comments regarding that piece but you can with virtually every other one on their site. Hmmmm...

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#109 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

http://www.fan590.co...116_152239_6000
Podcast interview with Dean Warren

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-286337
New Yahoo article

This is really turning into a mess. How the NHL can look at this and just sweep it under the rug is unbelievable. What a joke. :ranting:

#110 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:51 PM

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20101116_152239_6000
Podcast interview with Dean Warren

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nhl-286337
New Yahoo article

This is really turning into a mess. How the NHL can look at this and just sweep it under the rug is unbelievable. What a joke. :ranting:

Posted Image

"Us? Sweep it under the rug? You're crazy."

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#111 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

the nhl is still an old boys club

#112 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

Funny how there is an inability to post comments regarding that piece but you can with virtually every other one on their site. Hmmmm...

esteef

And the shame of it all is that I actually like Bob McKenzie. But he's pussied out on this one just like the rest of them.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#113 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

And the shame of it all is that I actually like Bob McKenzie. But he's pussied out on this one just like the rest of them.

Maybe they're just not interested in how many people would "agree" with him. :P

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#114 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

HaroldSnepts:

I saw a post on the Yahoo blog and wanted to get the opinion of the people on this site. I can not add a poll to your Topic and don't see the need to start a new one.

Can you add a poll asking:
1. Do you think Colin Campbell will be fired?
2. Do you think Colin Campbell should be fired?

No big deal if not!

I would, but I'm not sure I can add a poll to the topic once it's created. Or at least I don't know how to! :P

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 16 November 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#115 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

Here's a follow up post, where a couple readers connected even more dots that make it look like Campbell is putting the heat on refs not just for calls they've made, but before upcoming games involving his son. It's involves an interview with Dean Warren, who may have an axe to grind regarding Campbell, but is still interesting.

Dean Warren went on the Fan 590 today and was interviewed by Greg Brady. During the course of that conversation, he said, in part:

I'd called a penalty late in a game against Florida. Stephen Walkom was the director of officiating at the time and he called me the next day. He said "Mr. Campbell doesn't think it's a penalty." And I said, "Well, the guy ran him down from behind, the player got hit, went head first into the boards...I don't know how you can't call it a penalty...as a matter of fact, I kind of wondered 'Should I be giving a game misconduct as well as a penalty.?'"

I do know at the time, Stephen Walkom said 'Look, if I gotta listen to Colin Campbell anymore, I'm gonna slit my own wrists.' So, it kind of gives you an indication that Mr. Campbell was certainly ruling or making decisions on games involving Florida and his son's team.

http://battleofalber...n-campbell.html

#116 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Regardless, he still has the backing of - what was it - 90% of the NHL community?

#117 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

Here's a follow up post, where a couple readers connected even more dots that make it look like Campbell is putting the heat on refs not just for calls they've made, but before upcoming games involving his son. It's involves an interview with Dean Warren, who may have an axe to grind regarding Campbell, but is still interesting.

http://battleofalber...n-campbell.html

Duh. If my boss is constantly bitching and breathing down my neck over areas my job presides over - you're damn right he is going to influence my actions, and he knows it.

You've got the head of on-ice officials receiving explicit rants from his boss about the actions of his refs in regards to specific players - what sane employee is not going to do something about it?

The idea this is merely an isolated incident is pretty hard to swallow.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#118 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

NHL quickly comes to Campbell's defense

#119 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:08 AM

the new NHL Overtime show on VS just covered this story, and they were falling over their seats to defend Campbell. One of them even said the blogger who broke the story should apologize to Campbell for making this a story. :thumbdown:

#120 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:51 AM

I just hope the mainstream canadian & US media keep up the pressure on the NHL & Campbell, but I doubt it will happen. Even HNIC...after all, he's a good ole canadian boy, eh?

What did I say? To the point that Bob Mckenzie tells us in his article not once, but TWICE that he's from Tillsbrough, Ont.

"He can't be corrupt & incompetent, he's from good Ontario farming stock!"

<_<
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk