edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:45 AM

http://www.newsday.c...coach-1.2462612

No real surprise there.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/isles-files-1.812028/breaking-scott-gordon-let-go-as-head-coach-1.2462612

No real surprise there.

I don't understand why the Isles struggle so much. True, they're not a team of superstars, but they have some talent and they should at least be competing for playoffs every year.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 droz

droz

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

They should hire Ken Hitchcock, I think he could really help the team finally become playoff contenders.

#4 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

They should hire Ken Hitchcock, I think he could really help the team finally become playoff contenders.

I'm still surprised no one hired Hitch during the off-season.
Posted Image

#5 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

I'm still surprised no one hired Hitch during the off-season.

Maybe Hitch has turned down the offers he has received. Hitch is an excellent tactician and x's and o's guy. But he wears out his welcome quick with players. Bowman always liked him and spoke well of his hockey knowledge. He's helped out Team Canada at the Olympics. I just don't know if players respect him to play hard for him anymore.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#6 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

I don't understand why the Isles struggle so much. True, they're not a team of superstars, but they have some talent and they should at least be competing for playoffs every year.

Seeing how they're in the East, I tend to agree.

Ownership is the biggest problem with the franchise. Second to last in the league in spending. *Still* recovering from having Mike Millbury as GM for a series of bad years and bad moves.

They're constantly in "rebuilding mode"

While Garth Snow is trying to right the ship, there's still not a whole lot of solid veteran leadership to guide the young talent.

Guess you gotta start with the coaching and go from there...
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#7 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

Garth Snow should take over as coach so the Isles can see how much he sucks at everything.

#8 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

I went to an Isles game about 13 years ago and the Arena SUCKS!! The Area around the Arena Sucks! I root for the Isles just because I feel bad for them! I really thought the Lighthouse project would pull them out of these dark decades, but that seems to have foiled! I'm not sure any coach is going to make that franchise any better! Like so many have stated already, the failure starts at the top, I can tell ya it wasn't Scott Gordon's fault!

We could probably build an all-star roster with the players the Islanders traded away in the last 15 years!!

#9 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

Out with Scott Gordon, in with Gordon Bombay.

#10 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

I follow the Isle's news maybe more than any team that isn't the Wings. They are the proverbial underdog and apart from my love of Wings dominance, i'm rooting for the Isle's to surprise.

I thought this year was gonna be a big step but Streit was out for like 3 months before the season started, Johnny T was concussed right out of the gate, and I believe Okposo is out for awhile. They needed all those guys to really get going. DiPietro might be done forever as a decent goaltending option. Rolosen is probably retiring soon. They need a new arena super bad and if not for thier nutcase owner, who has been more than generous financially and patiently, they'd probably be gone already.

Garth "former back-up goaltender/linebacker" Snow has actually done a very good job. If they were able to sign more veterans, so it wasn't always on the kids, they'd do better. That said, Snow usually does well on the free agent front. His drafting record is pretty good; they has quite the stable of youngsters.

#11 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

scott gordon isn't the problem

charles wang is

#12 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

They need a good GM. Look what Stevie did the Lightning in one year.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#13 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

snow has done a pretty good job so far. it's kind of hard to do much with a roster when you have an incompetent owner, internal cap, and a post-milbury islanders that most ufas are scared to death of

#14 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

If I were a GM, and I was assigned to fix a faulty organization, I would merely try to mimic Ken Holland. In fact, I'm surprised most don't. The ones that do generally tend to be successful.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#15 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

0-9-1 OUCH

#16 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

snow has done a pretty good job so far. it's kind of hard to do much with a roster when you have an incompetent owner, internal cap, and a post-milbury islanders that most ufas are scared to death of

dude I could watch your signature gif all day. Who the heck is that?

#17 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

dude I could watch your signature gif all day. Who the heck is that?

Danny (Bear) Cleary

#18 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Danny (Bear) Cleary

Sig /= Avatar.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#19 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Isles are bad. Really bad. More changes are needed imo. Starting at the top with Mr. Snow...