• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

Mitch callahan

Rate this topic

mitch callahan is on a roll! He has 11 goals and 14 assists for 25 points in 21 games, hes currently our top scoring junior prospect, he also has 5 fights and 49 penalty minutes. He reminds me kinda of a probert.... ok maybe not quite, but hes the kind of player that the red wings are missing in there lineup, not necissarly a tough guy, but a great roll player who will get his nose dirty.

The thing about Callahan is his ridiculous learning curve he's been on. He made kelowna as a free agent as a 16 year old and ended up getting drafted late by detroit. He made strides last year and is doing great this year. He is a great pound for pound fighter, takes on 6 foot 3 guys and has never decisively lost a fight. He looked great at prospect camp and his start isn't really surprising to me. His weight is already at 190 as a 5'11 player that's pretty sturdy already too

Really excited about this kid. Watched a few of his fights from this season, and he is looking solid. Had a hat trick not too long ago, so he seems to be able to do it all. Hopefully we'll see him in a Wings uniform soon. Some people thought his development would slow down this year, but its looking like another gem of a pick by Detroit's scouts :thumbup:

Sounds like a Wendel Clark, or Gerard Gallant clone :thumbup:

Nill compared him to Carcillo and Cooke except he fights more. Kinda makes him more respectable in my books. He's definitely an agitator through and through.

A Kelowna fan was also saying since he was put on a scoring line for the first time this year that he has shown that hes got great hands and a solid scoring touch.

Nill compared him to Carcillo and Cooke except he fights more. Kinda makes him more respectable in my books. He's definitely an agitator through and through.

A Kelowna fan was also saying since he was put on a scoring line for the first time this year that he has shown that hes got great hands and a solid scoring touch.

He'll be the next fan favorite in Detroit.

Carcillo is a ******, but at least has a SHRED of respect to his game... comparing ANYONE to Cooke is one of the biggest insults in the world...

Back to Callahan though, I am very excited about his progress and really hope he earns a spot on GR next year and continues to develop at a decent pace...

I'm really looking forward to seeing what this kid can do in the future. He has great toughness and grit, and it seems he can actually play good hockey too.

Edited by TNBT

Blue collar player, that's what Detroit wants to see!

For sure. I like the way this team goes about drafting and signing players in general too. Even the "skill players" we go after are usually all at least a little defensively responsible and gritty.

For sure. I like the way this team goes about drafting and signing players in general too. Even the "skill players" we go after are usually all at least a little defensively responsible and gritty.

I was ahead of my time with the other thread last week :)

I don't see what you mean by gritty skill guys. Most of our skilled prospects and players aren't gritty. This isn't always a bad thing but IMO they aren't gritty as a group. Callahan was drafted due to his grit and his scoring has developed above expectations.

I'm excited to see Callahan in GR next year. I like how he has developed in the WHL from a fourth liner to a scorer. This will fit well with how the Wings like start players on the fourth and have them move up. Hopefully he can crack the roster for a few games in two years. He is what the Wings need. A good MW who isn't a plug.

That part. I like that. Would love to see a player like either of those 2 in the Winged Wheel. Sounds like Callahan could possible be joing us soon?

That part. I like that. Would love to see a player like either of those 2 in the Winged Wheel. Sounds like Callahan could possible be joing us soon?

Theyll give him a year or 2 in the AHL, let him get used to fighting the pros but I dont see why they would leave him down there. They are grooming him to become a third or 4th line fighter, no need to give him 20 minutes of time a night in the AHL for three years when they dont expect him to be much more then a bottom 6er

Theyll give him a year or 2 in the AHL, let him get used to fighting the pros but I dont see why they would leave him down there. They are grooming him to become a third or 4th line fighter, no need to give him 20 minutes of time a night in the AHL for three years when they dont expect him to be much more then a bottom 6er

I agree. But it sounds like he's got some offensive flair too? Whether that carries over into the pros is the question I suppose. That one video shown above he took care of himself in that fight. I like this kid...

When did Nill compare him to Cooke? I don't remember that.

And it wasn't Nill that first compared to him to Carcillo but rather his own coach in Kelowna.

Then George Malik said that Mitch is like a cross between Dallas Drake and Kirk Maltby.

When did Nill compare him to Cooke? I don't remember that.

And it wasn't Nill that first compared to him to Carcillo but rather his own coach in Kelowna.

Then George Malik said that Mitch is like a cross between Dallas Drake and Kirk Maltby.

It was one of those video interviews they do either during training camp or at the prospects camp. The reporter said Nill has been comparing you to Cooke and how does that make you feel and Callahan said we play similar but I like to fight a lot more. Something along those lines.

Cooke is an effective player at what he does, if Callahan can become that good while fighting more (Callahan is a great pound for pound fighter) then I will be extremely happy

It was one of those video interviews they do either during training camp or at the prospects camp. The reporter said Nill has been comparing you to Cooke and how does that make you feel and Callahan said we play similar but I like to fight a lot more. Something along those lines.

Cooke is an effective player at what he does, if Callahan can become that good while fighting more (Callahan is a great pound for pound fighter) then I will be extremely happy

Cooke isn't a bad offensive player. I would be happy if Callahan were a Cooke with respect for other players that fights more.

Cooke isn't a bad offensive player. I would be happy if Callahan were a Cooke with respect for other players that fights more.

Exactly. If Callahan isnt trying to hurt people with dirty hits like Cooke and backs up his actions more, while being capable of 15 goals a season I'll be pumped.

Guest Heaten

So how many more years before he has a realistic shot at making the Wings roster?

If he makes it, 4 years. That's how long it took Helm and Abdelkader to get a full-time roster spot.

Speaking of Helm, he tore s*** up in the WHL too. He scored 41 goals and 79 points in only 70 games. Maltby tore s*** up the OHL with 50 goals and 91 points in 64 games. I doubt Callahan will show any offense in the big league either if he makes it. He might be a great energy guy though.