• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

I'll be pulling for the Leafs to win tomorrow against the Habs. Montreal fans really rubbed me the wrong way with their crying about the officials.

Not to say that Toronto fans are much better, but whatever.

Toronto fans are lovable now because they are losing on a consistent basis.

I won't start hating the fans until they start getting wins and assume they are the front-runners for the Stanley Cup.

count-floyd-3d.jpg

Tonight's game on CBC is in 3D; Ooooooh scarey stuff!

As long as we have Bettman and his Communist cap, we will continue to see big market supported franchises suffer for long periods of time. I don't understand why we have to destroy big markets to fund empty arenas etc and all the other excuses. A luxury tax that was suggested here on LGW before was the best idea ever, would have hurt noone and helped some of the smaller, but more durable in terms of longevity teams.

I shudder to think of the amazing dynasties over the years and great competitive teams that didnt always win cups, that never would have happened with the cap, eg Detroit, Montreal, NYI, Edmonton etc. Those things sell the game. People who love the big guys go to see the stars, people who hate them come to see if their team can beat them. This forced assimilation is BS. Look what the cap has done to Chicago. They shouldnt have had to lose players from their cup team... how can you keep a team together and the fans feel like family anymore. (and all the cap supporters crying about buying a cup in the past...REALLY? If that were the case, the Leafs ironically would have won plenty of times in the last 20 years, and the Rangers more than once, etc etc)

I don't like Toronto, but I feel horrible for them, and it's unfair, and I don't see them making the playoffs anytime soon. I feel bad for their fans

Edited by Wingsor

As long as we have Bettman and his Communist cap, we will continue to see big market supported franchises suffer for long periods of time. I don't understand why we have to destroy big markets to fund empty arenas etc and all the other excuses. A luxury tax that was suggested here on LGW before was the best idea ever, would have hurt noone and helped some of the smaller, but more durable in terms of longevity teams.

I shudder to think of the amazing dynasties over the years and great competitive teams that didnt always win cups, that never would have happened with the cap, eg Detroit, Montreal, NYI, Edmonton etc. Those things sell the game. People who love the big guys go to see the stars, people who hate them come to see if their team can beat them. This forced assimilation is BS. Look what the cap has done to Chicago. They shouldnt have had to lose players from their cup team... how can you keep a team together and the fans feel like family anymore. (and all the cap supporters crying about buying a cup in the past...REALLY? If that were the case, the Leafs ironically would have won plenty of times in the last 20 years, and the Rangers more than once, etc etc)

I don't like Toronto, but I feel horrible for them, and it's unfair, and I don't see them making the playoffs anytime soon. I feel bad for their fans

You can't be serious. The salary cap has nothing to do with the decades of poor drafting and management in Toronto and the seeming disregard for a fan base that will gobble up the garbage on their plates, belch, and beg for more. Toronto fans deserve what they get because they are too busy pointing their jealous fingers at teams like the Wings and saying absurd things like "the wings buy their cups," instead of asking questions about their own organization and demanding changes be made and voting with their feet if they aren't satisfied. But they seem perfectly content to wallow and swallow so f***'em.

Two quick points. 1- blaming Communism (or anything that is Communist) is beyond retarded. 2- Detroit has managed to keep their dynasty with the cap in place. The rest of your post is too paranoid to actually respond to.

You can't be serious. The salary cap has nothing to do with the decades of poor drafting and management in Toronto and the seeming disregard for a fan base that will gobble up the garbage on their plates, belch, and beg for more. Toronto fans deserve what they get because they are too busy pointing their jealous fingers at teams like the Wings and saying absurd things like "the wings buy their cups," instead of asking questions about their own organization and demanding changes be made and voting with their feet if they aren't satisfied. But they seem perfectly content to wallow and swallow so f***'em.

In windsor, our brand of toronto fans seem to do that, youre right, but once you get east of london, theyre pretty knowledgable realistic fans, who have been subject to like you say, bad drafting especially during the Ballard years. Rabid windsor leaf fans aside, i feel bad for the local TO fans. you dont hear Wings bashing when you go up there. Look at a windsor leaf fans face when you even suggest that toronto had a junior team named the red wings lol. (can anyone confirm that? someone told me that before)

The cap has partially disassembled chicagos winning team though, and its cost us keeping many players lately even if we remain an elite team. It's sad to lose skilled players if they want to stay , and the fans and management wish they could keep them. I think a luxury tax would have done much better for the game.

Have you been east ot London and talked to a local toronto fan? theyre not so bad. doesnt mean i like their team though lol.

GO WINGS!

...The cap has partially disassembled chicagos winning team though, and its cost us keeping many players lately even if we remain an elite team. It's sad to lose skilled players if they want to stay , and the fans and management wish they could keep them. I think a luxury tax would have done much better for the game.

Mismanagement of the cap is what cost Chicago. Had they been a little smarter with some of their moves, they could have retained Buffy and Ladd, maybe a couple other guys too.

Also, you can't just look at one case in isolation, nor one element of the CBA. Without the current cap rules, players like Kane, Toews, Keith, and possibly others would have cost more, and maybe Chicago is never in a financial position to build the team in the first place.

The situation in Toronto is similar. It's their poor management rather than spending restrictions keeping them down.

In windsor, our brand of toronto fans seem to do that, youre right, but once you get east of london, theyre pretty knowledgable realistic fans, who have been subject to like you say, bad drafting especially during the Ballard years. Rabid windsor leaf fans aside, i feel bad for the local TO fans. you dont hear Wings bashing when you go up there. Look at a windsor leaf fans face when you even suggest that toronto had a junior team named the red wings lol. (can anyone confirm that? someone told me that before)

The cap has partially disassembled chicagos winning team though, and its cost us keeping many players lately even if we remain an elite team. It's sad to lose skilled players if they want to stay , and the fans and management wish they could keep them. I think a luxury tax would have done much better for the game.

Have you been east ot London and talked to a local toronto fan? theyre not so bad. doesnt mean i like their team though lol.

GO WINGS!

Wrong, I live in Toronto and the fans are downright ignorant when it comes to the Wings. Like I said earlier, whether its jealousy or for whatever reason they don't like anyone wearing a Wings jersey / hat / coat / watch / etc. in the city. They will say stupid things even though they know Detroit just won a cup and they haven't won since 67. Going to the game last year was probably one of the worst games I attended, they won 5-2 but taunted every Wing fan that left with 1 mintue left in the game and making stupid remarks asking where they were going, what happened to the stanley cup team, detroit is too old to skate with young talent, detroits collapse starts this year etc.

It goes both ways.

I've met a lot of Red Wings fans in Ontario who can't even name 4 players on this team.

Fact is every fanbase has it's good and bad.

Edited by puffy

Wrong, I live in Toronto and the fans are downright ignorant when it comes to the Wings. Like I said earlier, whether its jealousy or for whatever reason they don't like anyone wearing a Wings jersey / hat / coat / watch / etc. in the city. They will say stupid things even though they know Detroit just won a cup and they haven't won since 67. Going to the game last year was probably one of the worst games I attended, they won 5-2 but taunted every Wing fan that left with 1 mintue left in the game and making stupid remarks asking where they were going, what happened to the stanley cup team, detroit is too old to skate with young talent, detroits collapse starts this year etc.

that sucks, maybe im just lucky with who i run into the few times im in toronto, you would know better since you live there. I think like the guy said in the next post, there are good and bad in every city...i noticed a change in windsor leaf fans though, since theyve missed the playoffs for so many years, the high percentage of them that were acting douchy, have changed and are very quiet and humble about their leafs and they BS about me loving the wings and because im in windsor im supposed to like some team 4 hours away. lol all of thoe things you say they are saying in toronto now, is what they WERE saying 10 years ago in windsor, heheh. Maybe its frustration up there now, i havent stopped in toronto in a few years now. It is kinda sad though in a way lol. for a wh ile i was happy they were missing the playoffs because the majority of windsor leaf fans were such knobs (with exceptions of course), but i mean now i feel like life is kickin them repeatedly when they cant get any more down!

Karma says, dont be toooo hard on them lol

Game number two of the "Kadri Kooling". Coach Wilson doesn't dislike him, no sir. However, his logic has taken a different turn. From Sportsnet:

"I'm using the next four days for him to get stronger and faster. This is part of what this is for," the Leafs head coach said Monday after Toronto's morning skate at Air Canada Centre. "He has to get quicker... He has to get stronger. It's that simple."

Wilson said the Leafs are using the model the Lightning went with in the development with Stephen Stamkos when the phenom was in his first season with Tampa Bay: play the kid a number of games, then give him time, while bulking up and improving speed.

"We want to do a similar project with Nazem, said Wilson.

Just four days to create the next "Stephen Stamkos"? This is sheer genius.

Speaking of Leaf fans...i saw this posted by a Leafs fan in a HF thread about players that shouldn't be in the NHL. I couldn't help but lmao. Those poor bastards...

The Leafs have a lot but I'll just do one and allow others to have a chance...

Brett+Lebda+Buffalo+Sabres+v+Toronto+Maple+uPkcM1O3Xj2l.jpg

Brett Lebda (Nicknames: Lebad, LOLda)

Strengths:

- Good skater

Weaknesses:

- Takes bad penalties.

- A pylon.

- Hands of stone.

- Giveaway machine.

- Not physical.

- Makes mistakes a PeeWee player would not make.

Compared on the Leaf board to (not in terms of playing style, just the terribad results on the ice):

- Aki Berg

- Andy Wozniewski

Reason why he is currently in the NHL:

- Brian Burke took a blue pill that he found under his desk. It turns out it was the same drug that caused JFJ to sign Jeff Finger to a $3.5 million/year contract (/obvious sarcasm).

- Ron Wilson loves his American players.

- Ron Wilson is a ****ing idiot.

Conclusion:

- AHL defenseman.

The oficial highlight video is filling out quite nicely; from Toronto Sun:

Meanwhile, the fan who threw a box of waffles on the ice during Monday’s game as a protest, forcing a stoppage in play during an odd-man rush by the Leafs, was charged with mischief by Toronto Police said MLSE’s Bob Hunter, executive vice-president for Venues and Entertainment. Hunter said the person will be banned from Air Canada Centre events and all MLSE properties until further notice.

As for monitoring future home games, Hunter said:

“Standard practice and procedures will continue. We search all bags now, and do random pat-downs. Pre-game warnings (about throwing articles on the ice) may be repeated more than once. Being banned from the ACC for all events we feel is a strong deterrent.”