• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

"Jonas is considered by many to be the best goaltender not playing in the NHL today," said Maple Leafs' general manager Brian Burke.

I had to check the date on that linked story and that quote still holds true; he wasn't playing in the NHL on 07/07/2009 and he's not playing in the NHL now, is he?

I cannot stand Brian Burke. As most of us on LGW would probably agree, this dude is just arrogant and kind of a joke.

He left Vancouver in shambles when he left, short of the Sedin twins (who underachieved until he left), left Anahiem a complete Salary Cap disaster while losing Bryzgalov and others for next to nothing, and now has single handedly set Toronto back at least another few years by the epic disaster known as the Phil Kessel trade.

I feel bad for the Toronto fans, but as Shanahan said once, it almost didn't/doesnt matter who they ice, the fans think they have a chance at the Cup. It's just too bad because had Burke not made that deal, they'd already be much closer to being competitive for a longer period of time. On top of that, "Neon" Dion Phaneuf's rockstar mentality that Burke loves could easily do more harm than good in that locker room. It's just a mess. He makes trades based on players so called "blue and white" disease (because playing for Toronto is every players dream) but brings in players with volitle personalities and other problems at a huge long-term cost to the franchise. Makes me thankful for Kenny and Co.

My sympathy aside, I can't imagine the ensuing delusion and prideful, chaotic ranting that would ensue if ever they were to even remotely challenge for the Cup. I'm sure it would easily eclipse Chicago's dreamland of hockey dominance.

Edited by achildr1

...If I could afford an R8, I sure as s*** wouldn't let dust build up on it to the point where someone could write on it. How does that happen?

the garage they park in is right beside a construction zone right now, so I imagine some dust from there blew onto the car ?

I was under the impression that fans weren't allowed near the players lot. Perhaps not.

But at the Joe you can stand right by the player's lot with that barricade.

Leafs parking lot at the ACC is underground. What the parking situation is like at the practice rink, I have no idea.

would he have to go through waivers or does he have a 2 way ?

He would if he were sent down full-time, which he won't be. He's down on a conditioning stint. I suspect he'll work through it. Bit of a sophomore jinx, I guess. Has lots of talent, that's for sure.

Edited by MacK_Attack

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neumann/110208_waffles_maple_leafs&sportCat=nhl

^ New story about the waffle thrower.

He makes some good points about the team putting s*** on the ice every night, and I still agree that the lifetime ban is BS. Also Im finally glad to find out the significance of the waffle being thrown. Waffle - "W" = Affle (awful). Pretty clever lol.

I'm content to watch them suffer.

I love the city of Toronto and it's people. Spending a lot of time in Canada I'm pretty pro-Cananda and usually give them the benefit of the doubt. However, when it comes to the Leafs and Leaf fans I have no mercy on the pain they experience. I can't tell you how many times I've been spoken "down" to by Leafs fans about the game of hockey and their superior intellegence. I always make it clear theat I'm a life long Wings fan who follows the sport very closely, and usually I'm very gracious and listen to them preach to me as if I had just become aware of the sport of hockey. All the while I'm thinking to myself: "really?...really?....if Toronto and the Leafs are such the epticenter of hockey, why have they been not only a below average team the past 5-10 years, but a team that makes horrendous errors in all aspects that make up an organization....from the GM down to coaching....I mean really??? Okay??"

To me, it's kind of like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame being located in Cleveland. Come on....Really? Although a disc jockey in Cleveland was the first to utter the term "Rock and Roll"...is that ALL we're basing this on? Motown, LA, New York, Memphis, etc.... Cleveland?? Really??

In one particualr instance I had a Leafs fan tell me at a bar in Toronot that "we really like Draper, we've thought about bringing him home a few times and know we could have gotten him easily". Again...."really????"

You know Burke is going to make moves to make the playoffs, killing their future even more.

So glad I'm not a Leafs fan. The organization is caught in a such a vicious cycle that they have no future, and haven't had one since the 1960's. Every move they make is a band-aid to cover up the massive problem.

I'm content to watch them suffer.

I love the city of Toronto and it's people. Spending a lot of time in Canada I'm pretty pro-Cananda and usually give them the benefit of the doubt. However, when it comes to the Leafs and Leaf fans I have no mercy on the pain they experience. I can't tell you how many times I've been spoken "down" to by Leafs fans about the game of hockey and their superior intellegence. I always make it clear theat I'm a life long Wings fan who follows the sport very closely, and usually I'm very gracious and listen to them preach to me as if I had just become aware of the sport of hockey. All the while I'm thinking to myself: "really?...really?....if Toronto and the Leafs are such the epticenter of hockey, why have they been not only a below average team the past 5-10 years, but a team that makes horrendous errors in all aspects that make up an organization....from the GM down to coaching....I mean really??? Okay??"

To me, it's kind of like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame being located in Cleveland. Come on....Really? Although a disc jockey in Cleveland was the first to utter the term "Rock and Roll"...is that ALL we're basing this on? Motown, LA, New York, Memphis, etc.... Cleveland?? Really??

In one particualr instance I had a Leafs fan tell me at a bar in Toronot that "we really like Draper, we've thought about bringing him home a few times and know we could have gotten him easily". Again...."really????"

agreed, Toronto IS NOT the mecca of hockey as they have self proclaimed themselves. I think the mecca of hockey is a region, Montreal down to Detroit, just like Baseball's mecca is Boston down to New York. I don't think it's fair to say one city is better than the other.

Sports mecca's are regional, it's not just one city.

I really don't care either way if the Leafs make it or not, I'm just not interested in listening to Leaf fans involved in playoff talk. I'll bet money if the Leafs make the playoffs the city will go crazy!

You know Burke is going to make moves to make the playoffs, killing their future even more.

Given the past three trades, he's probably got some flexibility to add a depth defenceman or something for a 3rd round pick or average prospect. There are no big rentals out there to "mortgage the future", unless you consider a trade of Brad Richards, but his injury probably makes that trade difficult to make.

I was born and raised in Michigan mainly the Detroit area so I have always been a Wings fan, but my dads favorite team was the Leafs. So I would actually like to see them in the playoffs in the near future, heck it might be this year.

Edited by matt198913

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neumann/110208_waffles_maple_leafs&sportCat=nhl

^ New story about the waffle thrower.

He makes some good points about the team putting s*** on the ice every night, and I still agree that the lifetime ban is BS. Also Im finally glad to find out the significance of the waffle being thrown. Waffle - "W" = Affle (awful). Pretty clever lol.

Honestly, how does that work?

Couldn't he just wear some glasses, a hat, or alter his appearance just enough to sneak by and attend games again? Someone could easily purchase tickets for him

Btw, I really do hope the Leafs make the post-season this year. Yes, actually play, not make the post-season by purchasing tickets and going to the game.

Edited by Rivalred