• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

From Toronto Star :

The Stanley Cup is coming to Toronto.

Not because of the Maple Leafs but because of a player who could have been a Maple Leaf.

While he is still making plans for his day with the Stanley Cup, Boston Bruins forward Tyler Seguin has already made it clear to his family that he wants to involve his GTHL minor hockey organization, the Young Nats, in the celebration.

Too soon?

Burke is quotable, if nothing else; from Toronto Star:

“Write what you want,” he finally told one reporter.

“For now, we’re done,” said Burke. “We’ll see what happens. If we get a chance to upgrade, we’ll do it.”

“There are a lot of goalies who have come in and had a brief, spectacular burst in the NHL that don’t sustain it,” said Burke. “Jim Carey is one. Steve Penney is one. What I said to James Reimer is ‘Google both of those guys and make sure you’re not one of them.’

“If that doesn’t work, we’re going to Plan B,” said Burke. “I don’t know what Plan B is.”

If I were Burke, I would be worried about Peddie stepping down; the new boss might not like what he has or hasn't done and have their own idea who should be doing the job.

Guest mjtm77

They have too much Phil Kessel in their lineup to be consistent offensively.

we have too much johan franzen

We also have two superstar forwards that they don't have. Franzen not scoring 30 goals last year and we we're still 2nd in the league in scoring.

I think the complaint was more about Franzen, who is "an elite goal-scorer" in the NHL, scoring 2 goals over his last 27 games, after scoring 26 in his first 59. At the 60 game mark he was on pace for 35 goals, yet he didn't clear 30. That's a long slump.

We're in 'Second Generation Burke Guy' territory. Guys like Giguere, Caputi, Beauchemin, Hanson, Lebda, Boyce and Versteeg has been moved or buried in the minors and some of the other players he's gotten or drafted are now in the lineup and playing better than that first group of stiffs that he picked up and JFJ/Fletcher saddled him with.

He's certainly not afraid of making a transaction if he thinks it will improve the team, and they have gotten off to a good start after finishing last year strong.