• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

From his Twitter account (don't worry; the story was on TSN):

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what I said to that dude who kicked the glass into my head last night?
I can't remember exactly but I feel that the word "toothless" was my initial reaction. He only had 4 of em

We're in 'Second Generation Burke Guy' territory. Guys like Giguere, Caputi, Beauchemin, Hanson, Lebda, Boyce and Versteeg has been moved or buried in the minors and some of the other players he's gotten or drafted are now in the lineup and playing better than that first group of stiffs that he picked up and JFJ/Fletcher saddled him with.

He's certainly not afraid of making a transaction if he thinks it will improve the team, and they have gotten off to a good start after finishing last year strong.

Burke definitely has got skills when it comes to building hockey teams. He knos what it takes to win and builds through trading and the draft. Problem is that's all he knows how to do.

Well, the Luca Caputi era is over in Toronto.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/01/03/leafs-say-goodbye-to-luca-caputi-pick-up-minor-league-forward-from-ducks/

Caputi, who was originally acquired from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Alexei Ponikarovsky in 2010, never really panned out for Toronto. He appeared in 26 games for the Leafs, scoring just one goal and six points.

"We turned down a second and a fourth to make this deal..."

At the beginning of the year I said the Leafs would finish 12th, they're currently 10th. Tampa and Buffalo should pass them.

The Leafs just don't have a star player or two who can carry the team through tough times.

His latest rant was classic Burkie. We've heard barely a peep from Burkie while the Leafs were playing good and what a suprise they are s***ting the bed again and Burkie is crying like a 2 year old. Love it.

Not wanting, or meaning to derail this thread, but I agree with Burke 100%.

Hell, even players like Zetterberg want the instigator rule rescinded. I do find it funny though that its taken him 5 years to realise that players who can fight and do nothing else are obsolete in the new* NHL

* Is it still "new"? When does/did it stop being the "new" NHL?

Edited by Nev

Not wanting, or meaning to derail this thread, but I agree with Burke 100%.

Same here. In today's game, there are so many "rats", and they can get away with a lot more than they used to be able to. Sure, rats existed in the '80s and '90s (Ken Linseman, Esa Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelsson, Matthew Barnaby), but they were forced to stand up for their actions, back then, thus keeping the "rat population" in check. Now, the league's rules protect the modern day NHL rats (Matt Cooke, Alex Burrows, Steve Ott, Sean Avery), so there seems to be a lot more guys that lack the common respect for the general safety of the other players, throwing a lot of dangerous hits from behind, and what not, and it is difficult to deter those kind of antics with the instigator rule.

Is this the death of the pure enforcer at the NHL level? Who knows right now. I think fighting is down this year partly because of the events that took place in the summer. The game is a lot quicker now, and it does seem like there are only a few pure enforcers ("Goons") that play somewhat regularly at the NHL level:

George Parros (20 GP, injured for about a month earlier this season)

Eric Boulton (19 GP, was injured for the beginning of the year)

Brian McGrattan (25 GP)

Darcy Hordichuk (16 GP, injured at the beginning of the season, I believe)

Krys Barch (23 GP)

Cam Janssen (33 GP)

John Scott (20 GP)

Kevin Westgarth (19 GP)

Matt Carkner (11 GP, missed the first ~20 games of the season with an injury)

Guys like Jody Shelley, Colton Orr, Paul Bissonnette, and Steve MacIntyre have been frequent healthy scratches, in favor of guys that will fight, but get around a little better, and put up a point once in a blue moon.

Additionally, many former NHL enforcers are stuck in the AHL:

Eric Godard

D.J King

Raitis Ivanans (Just called up by Calgary, but who knows how long until he's demoted, again.)

Francis Lessard

Matt Walker

Trevor Gillies

Either Orr has seen the light or he is just being a good company man. From Toronto Star:

“The game’s evolving and changing, so you kind of have to go with it,” the 29-year-old enforcer said shortly after his first morning skate with the Leafs’ American Hockey League affiliate on Friday at the Ricoh Coliseum. “I’m never going to give up. I’m going to keep working and do what it takes . . . and see where it goes.

“There’s still room for power forwards, checking forwards, a little fight once in a while.”

Maybe he's stolen the script from another player, who claims to have changed his ways this season.

This is either another interview or he was "misquoted"; from Toronto Star:

“Yes, players dumb enough to participate in polls designed to crap on fellow NHLPA members are not very bright,” said Leafs GM Brian Burke on Wednesday after the poll was released. “They can all go defecate in their chapeaus. I am thrilled to have both players on my team.

“And by the way? Anyone who wants to tell Dion that in person should fly to Ottawa in about two weeks.”

Leafs coach Ron Wilson echoed Burke’s comments.

“Burkie stated it best, what people should do in their hats, the ones that took the poll,” said Wilson.

Toronto has dropped 4 in a row. I think Burke intends to beef up the team a little more. These Leafs are not a Brian Burke calibre team. I've heard Grabovski, Kulemin, Franson, and MacArthur as potential trade bait. We all know he isn't shy about making trades. What do you guys Toronto to do at the deadline? Any specific targets Burke is looking at? There are a few Leafs experts on here.

This is either another interview or he was "misquoted"; from Toronto Star:

“Yes, players dumb enough to participate in polls designed to crap on fellow NHLPA members are not very bright,” said Leafs GM Brian Burke on Wednesday after the poll was released. “They can all go defecate in their chapeaus. I am thrilled to have both players on my team.

“And by the way? Anyone who wants to tell Dion that in person should fly to Ottawa in about two weeks.”

When I hear Burke go on one of his idiotic rants, first of all I change the station, and second, I think that Burke would never last as GM in Detroit. Us fans and the local media would never put up with him.