• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

Considering the two largest broadcasting companies in Canada (Rogers and Bell) own the Maple Leafs, good luck housing another team and obtaining broadcast rights. Rogers will just buy everything and stop it from happening just like every other company up here now. CBC is already feeling pressure from them as it is.

Considering the two largest broadcasting companies in Canada (Rogers and Bell) own the Maple Leafs, good luck housing another team and obtaining broadcast rights. Rogers will just buy everything and stop it from happening just like every other company up here now. CBC is already feeling pressure from them as it is.

Arent there any anti monopolistic laws in Canada? According to some sites Rogers & Bell are turning more and more into a whole canadian monopolstatus..

Arent there any anti monopolistic laws in Canada? According to some sites Rogers & Bell are turning more and more into a whole canadian monopolstatus..

Yes there are... Now ask me if they are inforced at all? We have many monopolies in canada, for example Bell has always had a landline monopoly, CN railway has the freight train monopoly, via rail has the passenger train monopoly, the government won't allow companies to come in and offer decently priced cell phone plans, internet services etc... Our whole system is based around monopolies, yet it is supposed to be governed so there are no monopolies, go figure eh.

EDIT: oh I forgot this little gem, companies like all-state that offer no deductable as a way of rewarding good drivers are not allowed to offer that in canada because the government will make less money.

Edited by Euro_Twins

Yes it would.

The Wings nearly faced the Leaf back in 2002 Cup Finals...That would've been epic, and I honestly feel the Leafs might've made things a bit closer in the series.

Plus Cujo in net for the Leafs. Wonder if that would have affected him coming here.

Well I've wanted both teams to lose but man the Bruins half assed their way to the second round. If the Leafs don't go into dreamland with 10 minutes remaining, this guy would have never gone to overtime. I really feel bad for Phil Kessel great guy and player, has to go through a lot of crap in the Toronto media.

I am going to cheer for the Rangers (how about that Lundquist guy back to back shutouts!) and of course Ottawain the east.

Here's the "important" contract extension; from 25/08/2013:

"This extension will allow David the time to build his kind of team to produce steady results, year after year," he said in a statement. "Everyone is excited about his ability and grasp of the NHL landscape and today's new contract agreement will offer the Leafs consistency and a long-term vision."

- MLSEpresident and CEO Tim Leiweke

Trade the current captain and his bloated contract and have "Jeffrey" Lupul take his spot.

From Toronto Sun:

Bobby Orr soars by TD Garden, Wayne Gretzky resides at Rexall Place.

Now the Toronto Sun has learned Maple Leafs are erecting a touchstone monument outside the Air Canada Centre, meant to link the near-century old franchise to its ‘nation’ of fan and give visitors the ideal photo op.

This seems to be an anomaly of the "vision" of the CEO of MLSE; first Tim Leiweke wants to get rid of all the vestiges of former Leafs and now he wants to put a statue outside if the ACC?

I just remembered the meeting he had with Johnny Bower, who was going to knock some sense into him. Maybe that worked.

From Toronto Sun:

This seems to be an anomaly of the "vision" of the CEO of MLSE; first Tim Leiweke wants to get rid of all the vestiges of former Leafs and now he wants to put a statue outside if the ACC?

I just remembered the meeting he had with Johnny Bower, who was going to knock some sense into him. Maybe that worked.

Leiweke is just a big loud mouth thinking he needs to sell the game in Canada, which simple isn't true. All he needs to do is provide Nonis with enough resources and not interfere with his decisions. I really hope Bower knocked some sense and respect for tradition into him. You simply can't run and original 6 franchise like one in LA.

If I were Canadian I would have been pissed with this hiring from the getgo, Canada has a population of 30 million people, there should have been someone from their own country, sharing the same passion for hockey. Leiweke seems to be a guy who loves to talk more than let his actions speak...

Edited by frankgrimes

That statue idea sounds weird. Why not just build a statue for a player from every era? Would be more asthetically pleasing and probably cheaper. Seems like the owner really doesn't "get" tradition and is trying a ham-fisted way of making IL for his mistake last summer. Also, it makes the modern Leafs look like insecure babies. He is obsessing over not leaving them out and making them feel appreciated.