• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

While I feel I'd like to see the Leafs be relatively successful (by that I meant, post a winning record/possibly make the playoffs because I think it's good for the league and them), I also can't help but smile smugly at their current demise. This has nothing to do with the Wings at all. I find that, especially from watching 24/7, that there is and has been a certain feeling of entitlement to their team, the players in the locker room and even management to an extent.

Everyone knows now that its about drafting and developing your way to success, and that is excatly what Burke should have done when he took the helm. Instead he essentially wasted 2 first round picks, and yes while he fleeced Calgary for Phaneuf, what they really needed was a proper rebuild, but his hand was forced because essentially the crybabies in the media and fans couldn't accept this fact and were too short sighted to see that this would lead to long term success (see Colorado - they bottomed out for a couple of seasons, got some really good first round picks, and now are on the up).

I guess I can't help but say they brought it on themselves to an extent.

I like Clarkson - I really do, but not for the $5.25 million cap hit...For $2 million he'd be a good addition.

Agreed.

I have a soft spot for the Leafs; Wendel Clark, and Doug Gilmour in particular.

There are some Leafs players I really like Orr, McLaren, Kessel, JVR, Bernier, Reimer and that Reilly kid but some are just pure arrogant showboaters (Kadri, Lupul). Add to that a very bipolar loud fanbase, where sadfully the knowledgeable people are also the quiet ones it becomes hard to really "like" them.

Personally the league should thank all Original Six teams without them this league wouldn't even exist and a certain commisher would NOT be allowed to create plastic teams in questionable locations with a marginal fansupport.

As for Carlyle: The guy was just a shortterm fix he is a good coach but also very old school and blunt with his players, some luck that others do not. I know I wouldn't like it.

Yep, they do deserve a better team. You have to feel bad for a city that lives and breathes hockey and has the history that they do. Anyone who hasn't been there for a game and a visit to the HOF needs to go so you can see what I'm talking about. The Leafs have turned into something along the lines of the Detroit Lions of hockey. What a joke.

No Original Six team should be a perennial loser, year after year after year. It's just not in the best interests of the game.

The Raycroft and Kessel trades are exactly what that fan base deserve. Along with the Clarkson and Phaneuf contracts.

Like every other fan base in every other sport the loudest and most outrageous fans tend to paint the entire fanbase in their colors.

For all the Leaf fans that deserve those trades there are millions who really do deserve to see some success.

Night after night through decades of futility they continue to fill their arena, while also paying the highest ticket prices in the league.

The waitlist to get season tickets there is so long that signing up right now would give your grandchildren, or great grandchildren the opportunity to buy tickets.

I may hate the team, but living in this city it's hard not to feel bad for the fans that just want more than anything else in the world to see their team win. We should have some sympathy for them considering the 42 years our fanbase went without a cup. They're closing in on 50.

I've said it before, but the die hards that I met/was surrounded by at the WC were awesome and a blast to be around. They live and breathe hockey and were so thrilled after that win. Loud obnoxious fans aside, I'd take them over the Hollywood fans of the week "watching" Kings games any day. And I second the sentiment that I want the O6 franchises to be leading the pack every year. Because of reasons.

I've said it before, but the die hards that I met/was surrounded by at the WC were awesome and a blast to be around. They live and breathe hockey and were so thrilled after that win. Loud obnoxious fans aside, I'd take them over the Hollywood fans of the week "watching" Kings games any day. And I second the sentiment that I want the O6 franchises to be leading the pack every year. Because of reasons.

Everyone but Chicago...

And then when you live in Toronto? You have no idea what Leaf fans are like in Toronto.

There were a lot of cool leafs fans there. And there were a lot of leafs fans I wanted to punch in the face.

Yep. Sure feels good to see their bi-polar fanbase thrashing around hysterically. 2 months ago Kessel was better than Crosby and every single player on their roster was better than ours, and now........here we are :) Fire everyone. Trade everyone etc etc

Every game we lost this year everyone on the boards said that would be the game that ends up screwing us out of a playoff spot. And all the laughs fans were saying the Leafs were the better team. Fast forward to now, we've clinched a spot, the laughs are eliminated from playing in the playoffs, and I'm happy :)

Yeah, after reading all the hateful comments about our 23 years of awesomeness!!!!!! from all the butthurt Leafs fan on tsn and Facebook, I'm going to have to reform my opinion of their miserable fanbase a bit and say that I hope they continue to suck for all eternity.

And then when you live in Toronto? You have no idea what Leaf fans are like in Toronto.

As someone from Toronto, I know all about it. Hence why I think they deserve every bit of the misery they get. Props to my Bruins fan Dad for raising me to not be a Leafs fan.

Yeah, after reading all the hateful comments about our 23 years of awesomeness!!!!!! from all the butthurt Leafs fan on tsn and Facebook, I'm going to have to reform my opinion of their miserable fanbase a bit and say that I hope they continue to suck for all eternity.

They are the most unpopular team on HFBoards.......and its almost entirely down to their fans.

dolighan_cartoon_apr1014.jpg

St. Shanny to the rescue?

I'm seeing this thrown around a lot lately, is this a "where there's smoke there's fire" thing or just wild speculation?

Edit: Hmmmm...

@cotsonika: NHL executive to Toronto Maple Leafs president? The future's wide open for Brendan Shanahan https://t.co/12TH3u65D5 via @YahooEhGame

Edited by BottleOfSmoke

Damn, dude, well said!