• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

Why should "everyone" just because some people who are offended by almost everything want to impose some dictationship like rules ? I'm not getting into politics here because I hate them and this is a sports forum...but I guess some people would be surprised by the amount ot trash talking that's happens during games.

Guess what be pissed about and tell your little girl to find another icon if it's such a big deal for you as a dad I mean there are 700 NHL players can't be that hard. People these days want all the information but some for sure can't handle it it seems.

It's exactly stuff like this why Toronto is having such a hardtime attracting free agents (despite some other shortcoming of course) but seriously they're making a big deal out of pretty much every non hockey related stuff i.e Bernier not knowing who Mandela is, Phaneuf not wearing an "official Leafs cap post game" and now this...I'm sure the players are frustrated enough already cut them some slack and let them focus on what's really important ...their job: hockey.

Once again, trying to stay away from politics and what not I'd say to you, don't tell me how to raise my non existent kid.:lol:

But with the amount of violence against girls/women by professional athletes and the way its covered in the media, if they didn't come out and apologize for this, the NHL couldn't say that they're doing everything in their power to change the negative narrative on women... which may or may not have something to do with the amount of dudes who think its okay to smack around a woman.

So get offended for people getting offended by something all you want man.

You're not going to change it by telling people if they don't like it, not to read it. I don't like feminists and having to be PC all the time either, but noones complaining about what they're saying on the ice.

It was in an interview.

He should think about what he says as it reflects not only upon him, but the maple leafs and the NHL itself.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

Once again, trying to stay away from politics and what not I'd say to you, don't tell me how to raise my non existent kid. :lol:

But with the amount of violence against girls/women by professional athletes and the way its covered in the media, if they didn't come out and apologize for this, the NHL couldn't say that they're doing everything in their power to change the negative narrative on women... which may or may not have something to do with the amount of dudes who think its okay to smack around a woman.

So get offended for people getting offended by something all you want man.

You're not going to change it by telling people I'd they don't like it, not to read it.

Let me give you an easy example: what would happen if people who are offended that others are offended did the same thing and complained in groups about the "offended party " ? That's right a never ending circle of being offended that others are offended...it would be so comically chaotic and stupid at the same time.

Maybe it's just me and I'm too relaxed for stuff like this it just doesn't bother me.

Edited by frankgrimes

Let me give you an easy example: what would happen if people who are offended that others are offended did the same thing and complained in groups about the "offended party " ? That's right a never ending circle of being offended that are others are offended...it would be so comically chaotic and stupid at the same time.

Maybe it's just me and I'm too relaxed for stuff like this it just doesn't bother me.

Ha. I was thinking the same thing when I first said it.

And I'm not offended by it either, or a lot of other things people have to apologize for saying, but I can still understand why certain things shouldn't be said on such a widely viewed platform.

Ha. I was thinking the same thing when I first said it.

And I'm not offended by it either, or a lot of other things people have to apologize for saying, but I can still understand why certain things shouldn't be said on such a widely viewed platform.

Yeah we are on the same page then, reminds me of how happy I was when some owner basically told the offended party to f*** off and find something elese to do instead of complaining about a team name *lol*

Ha. Dan Snyder redskins thing just makes me laugh just with all the stuff against them and he still won't budge, and the guys so ignorant.

Like they no longer hold the trademark for the name and he's going to start losing all kinds of money in Merch sales but he acts like he was the inventor of the proud redskin term.

Its hilarious.

And since this seems to be the only thread on the main board that's not about illegal streaming sites, did everyone report them?

I was reporting em as they popped up,but lost track of where I was. And theyre flooding in.

I counted 16

The thing is Frank, when you work for a company you are generally considered a representative of that company and product. In this case he is the product. It's not like he's just spouting off sexist remarks to his buddies at the bar, he was using social media to discuss the Maple Leafs and I'm certain (despite our opinions of that organization) his comments did not reflect the ethical standards he is tasked with upholding as an employee.

I don't know all the details of what precipitated this tweet or what spurred the apology, but from the perspective of the Leafs organization it was certainly warranted.

I'm not sure there really needs to be a debate about it. You shouldn't belittle people, ever, if you can help it. I'm sure Morgan Reilly isn't a total dick. He just said a total dick thing.

Secondly, we (as a part of the hockey community) absolutely SHOULD do our best to enforce social, cultural, and behavioral norms. It's called civic responsibility. I want my children, friends, family, and neighbors to be able to share in the sport I love...because I love it. And none of them, ever, should feel excluded because of who they are or what they choose to do.

However, I can't say that I'm surprised that Frank feels the way he does. This is a guy who once said that people who don't like fighting in hockey are "homosexuals". And regularly references "sissy hockey".

Fortunately people like Frank here are in the minority. Positivity, inclusion, and openness are winning. And people like him are losing. And one of these days everybody with that point of view will either be forced to come around, or else be exposed for the narrow minded, hateful, ethically bankrupt dinosaurs that they are.

Edited by kipwinger

Lol. They've been acting like sad sacks all year, maybe acting like a girl to him means being tough as nails and carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders while you do what needs to be done.

In which case I'm glad we have so many "girls" on our team.

Ironically enough, didn't Toronto's women's hockey team win their cup this past year?

Toronto would do well to add some of those ladies to their team...you know, considering they know how to NOT lose...

Are you seriously watching it?

Ha.

Are you learning any new tricks for butt pats?

I will not have my butt pats corrupted by that fake abusive rapey bdsm crap that is 50 shades.

Public service announcement: my butt pats are 100% consensual and never emotionally abusive.

*insert the "The More You Know" gif*

I'm not sure there really needs to be a debate about it. You shouldn't belittle people, ever, if you can help it. I'm sure Morgan Reilly isn't a total dick. He just said a total dick thing.

Secondly, we (as a part of the hockey community) absolutely SHOULD do our best to enforce social, cultural, and behavioral norms. It's called civic responsibility. I want my children, friends, family, and neighbors to be able to share in the sport I love...because I love it. And none of them, ever, should feel excluded because of who they are or what they choose to do.

However, I can't say that I'm surprised that Frank feels the way he does. This is a guy who once said that people who don't like fighting in hockey are "homosexuals". And regularly references "sissy hockey".

Fortunately people like Frank here are in the minority. Positivity, inclusion, and openness are winning. And people like him are losing. And one of these days everybody with that point of view will either be forced to come around, or else be exposed for the narrow minded, hateful, ethically bankrupt dinosaurs that they are.

I don't always agree with you on here, but very well said Kip!

Kipwinger said it very well.

I'd like to ad that I'm not deeply offended by a singular comment by one young player, nor do I care if they continue to use similar trash talk to the ice. I am offended by a prominent figure, in a sport that I love and support, publicly using the term "girls" to mean something negative. I may be female, but I'm not Britta Perry.

@TheHockeyNews: THN's @Proteautype writes on Morgan Riellys mistake, casual misogyny and the empty idea of The Outrage Police: http://t.co/pvjiyGQNU7

"The notion of The Outrage Police is as hollow and disingenuous as it gets – and most importantly, it doesn’t make what Rielly said right. To repeat: he’s 20 years old and not a monster, but he said something you can’t say anymore, people let him know, and he said he was sorry. That’s the way the process is supposed to work. And the people who want to distract from that basic fact by focusing on anything other than the women who are telling us what he said was wrong are polar bears on an ever-shrinking rhetorical ice floe, letting out embarrassing death rattles as they fail to adjust to a world that’s rolling right over their prized prejudices.

Clearly, some men don’t like being confronted by voices other than those of their ever-forgiving frat boy buddies. Too bad. Whether they like it or not, this issue is another example of two tectonic cultural plates pushing against one another – and, as is always the case, the progressive, fair-minded plate is eventually going to push the ignorant, divisive plate deeper into the earth, precisely where it belongs."

Absolutely right.

People get offended over anything in todays ultra 'pc' society we live in.

That said - wonder Rielly will be on the trading block.

I'm not a fan of people having to be PC all the time, but I was brought up not to treat women badly, verbally or physically, or my mother would kill me.

And I believe her.

But I believe shed just call me a dumbass for this, and my sisters would beat me with stuff repeating, "how's that, did that one feel like a hit from a girl."

Which is funny, because they're all of 5' and 100lbs, and once I hit 6' they started hitting me with heavier stuff.

Clever girls.

But maple leafs fans deserve better the same way big foot believers deserve better.

They get laughed at, and will continue to get laughed at until they catch a big foot.

Which probably isn't happening.

People get offended over anything in todays ultra 'pc' society we live in.

That said - wonder Rielly will be on the trading block.

That's why I've written let them get offended just don't give those attention hungry idiots any publicity (thanks to that ***** Proteau THN has become unreadable, they are even worse than the bleacherreport now).... The worst thing one can do is to acknowledge them.

Rielly on the trading block would be great (kid will be a very good defenseman one day) but I highly doubt it Gardiner could be a possibility. I'm sure Shanahan or whoever is in charge there will try to keep him as a building block and then add a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft.

Edited by frankgrimes