• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

That's not what he was saying at all. Maybe if you READ the post, and actually understand it, you wouldn't respond with such a snide comment. The problem is, that their blind loyalty to a poor quality tells the ownership that they don't have to improve. When a team is bad, the fans SHOULD stop paying money, otherwise, the team won't bother to get better. If Detroit was a last place team, I'd still watch on TV or my Computer, but I would not buy tickets or any other memorabilia. The fact that they sell out every game only encourages their ownership to put a s***ty product on the ice. It has nothing to do with their passion making them deserve to lose. It's that they continue to pump money into the pockets of people who ONLY care about money. A winning team is only as good as the money it makes.

I did read the comment, and if thats the way you want to look at it whatever than. If the fans are satisfied with an inferior product as you say they dont need anything better. I understand what you and dicksmack mean, but unless there is a change in ownership/management overhaul the team will suck for a long time. At the end of the day I still believe the fans do deserve better. The most passionate fans in the NHL get to watch a garbage team year after year,but can you blame them for loving hockey? If dicksmacks idea is so great you can go share it on a Leafs board.

They deserve nothing.

I spent my entire childhood rooting for the "Dead Wings" only to have my heart ripped out in '95.

That only made the victory in 97 so much the sweeter.

If it happens for the Leafs, great. If not, thats too bad, but you wont see me crying a tear for them.

Meh... I appreciate the spirit of your post but every ticket buying hockey fan deserves to watch a competitive team once in a while...

Reading through a thread at HF Boards, I got to thinking - do Leaf fans, as fans of a proud Original 6 Franchise, deserve better than what they've been getting? Horrible management, mediocre at best teams, horrible trades/signings and MLSE's only motivation being for profit hasn't stopped the fans from coming to games or buying merchandise. Of course, fans are enjoying watching their failures, many Wings fans among them.

I don't like the Leafs as much as the next guy, but I can't help but feel the smallest portion of pity for what their fans endure compared to Detroit fans. I sure don't feel bad for the team, but to the Leaf fans who are starving for a winner (not the cocky, entitled fans), I do to a certain extent.

Sounds a bit like Lions fans to me... Not that the Lions have anything close to the amount of heritage and tradition the Leafs do. But there are SO many idiots that continue to fill Ford Field and buy season tickets and merchandise that the Fords are making a nice amount of money on them. Given that, they have no real care to make the team competitive, much less winners as they can just keep doing the bare minimum and getting rich from it.

Reading through a thread at HF Boards, I got to thinking - do Leaf fans, as fans of a proud Original 6 Franchise, deserve better than what they've been getting? Horrible management, mediocre at best teams, horrible trades/signings and MLSE's only motivation being for profit hasn't stopped the fans from coming to games or buying merchandise. Of course, fans are enjoying watching their failures, many Wings fans among them.

I don't like the Leafs as much as the next guy, but I can't help but feel the smallest portion of pity for what their fans endure compared to Detroit fans. I sure don't feel bad for the team, but to the Leaf fans who are starving for a winner (not the cocky, entitled fans), I do to a certain extent.

I kind of do. Honestly though the massive obsession with every little move that franchise makes somewhat dampens my obsession.

If Detroit were in the Eastern conference (where they belong), I'd probably care a lot more, because few things would be greater than a renewed Leafs-Wings rivalry.

Sounds a bit like Lions fans to me... Not that the Lions have anything close to the amount of heritage and tradition the Leafs do. But there are SO many idiots that continue to fill Ford Field and buy season tickets and merchandise that the Fords are making a nice amount of money on them. Given that, they have no real care to make the team competitive, much less winners as they can just keep doing the bare minimum and getting rich from it.

An effective way of sending a message would be for the fans to simply not go to the games.

An effective way of sending a message would be for the fans to simply not go to the games.

I hear you - and that's what I do in regards with the Tigers, Pistons, and Lions - I'm not a huge fan so I'm not that interested when it is a crummy product.

But I am a die-hard Wings and hockey fan - I gladly went to games in the 80s and still bought merchandise, and my father did before me all throughout the 60s and 70s.

So I can't fault Leafs' fans for still supporting the team and sport they love, and they do deserve better - better than what Chicago/Pittsburgh and their whole 5,000 still loyal through the ugly years fans deserved. But do I feel sorry for them? Hell no! The Leafs and their fans can wallow in misery for another 45 years for all I care. I personally can't wait for Detroit to catch and pass them in total Stanley Cups.

I hear you - and that's what I do in regards with the Tigers, Pistons, and Lions - I'm not a huge fan so I'm not that interested when it is a crummy product.

But I am a die-hard Wings and hockey fan - I gladly went to games in the 80s and still bought merchandise, and my father did before me all throughout the 60s and 70s.

So I can't fault Leafs' fans for still supporting the team and sport they love, and they do deserve better - better than what Chicago/Pittsburgh and their whole 5,000 still loyal through the ugly years fans deserved. But do I feel sorry for them? Hell no! The Leafs and their fans can wallow in misery for another 45 years for all I care. I personally can't wait for Detroit to catch and pass them in total Stanley Cups.

I can hear it now -

"The '67 team could kick your team's ass!"

The funny thing is, perhaps it's the blind loyalty that is keeping the leafs down. If these people wouldn't be so ready to still pay big money for tickets and everything else despite chronically being known as "Loserville," perhaps the financial pressure might force some changes to be made. To me, it's dumb to want to pay for an inferior product year after year. So no, maybe Leafs fans don't deserve better.

The problem is its nearly impossible to impose an effective boycott in a Toronto hockey market.

If I want Maple Leafs season tickets I would have to go on their 10-20 year waiting list. The demand is insane.

The problem is its nearly impossible to impose an effective boycott in a Toronto hockey market.

If I want Maple Leafs season tickets I would have to go on their 10-20 year waiting list. The demand is insane.

Maybe by then they will be getting good.. i'd get in line!

Maybe by then they will be getting good.. i'd get in line!

Some people are actually putting their kids on the waiting list on the day they are born. That way they might actually have tickets by the time they are 18. :P

When I moved back to Michigan in 1992, I went on the wait list. I didn't get the call until 2004.

How hard are tickets to get in Toronto?

Easier right now because the team is bad. Can usually walk up to the box office before a game and get a pair of seats. Usually a few hundred seats available before a game.

But season tickets are impossible. People won't give up season tickets that have been in their family since 1932 because they know they will never get them back. Same with the corporations. They'll never see those tickets again, so they won't cancel them.

The team doesn't even acknowledge season tickets on their website or the waiting list.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Easier right now because the team is bad. Can usually walk up to the box office before a game and get a pair of seats. Usually a few hundred seats available before a game.

But season tickets are impossible. People won't give up season tickets that have been in their family since 1932 because they know they will never get them back. Same with the corporations. They'll never see those tickets again, so they won't cancel them.

The team doesn't even acknowledge season tickets on their website or the waiting list.

I keep looking at your signature and wonder what the Leafs would have been like with Fedorov in the lineup.

Guest mindfly

No commies on my team! no fedorov

We take a defenseman! no sakic, instead Richardson

Bless leafs faithful