• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Do Maple Leaf fans deserve better?

Rate this topic

Yes. The Maple Leafs fans have suffered long enough. As a Detroit Lions fan, I must say that I feel their pain.

Plus, I always like to see the Original Six teams do well. I'd rather see them hoist the Cup than someone like Anaheim.

Well their new management is making the same mistakes as the old one instead of giving GTA kids a chance, they are signing player from the NCAA, KHL ...I mean, everyone knows the pressure in that market so why not sign somebody from the area since they know all the stuff and might be able to handle it better.

Players playing for their "home town" is so f-ing overblown. A guy isn't better just because he was a fan of his employer when he was a kid.

It's really amazing how loyal and huge their fanbase is Bell and Rogers are looking at the bottom line only and if that isn't to their liking heads will roll.

When you think about it, hockey is to Canada what football is to the US. In Canada, hockey is more like a religion, or a part of their national identity though. Even some of their currency has images of hockey players on it.

I'm not sure that sort of blind loyalty is exclusive to just Toronto as even Montreal's arena looked pretty close to capacity back when the Canadiens were struggling in the late 90s and early 2000s. Similar could be said for any of the other Canadian rinks for that matter.

Back in 2011, I remember watching a documentary on the NHL Channel about the Edmonton Oilers' organization; I think it was called 'Oil Change' or something. It was just chronicling the Oilers' present day affairs at the time, following the team's players, scouts, and coaches around. It was very interesting. Anyway, there was this one scene from a bar in Edmonton on draft day with all of these fans packed in the place, standing wherever they could while glued to the tv getting all rowdy with their Oilers jerseys on. Watching that made it seem as though they were in the midst of another dynasty as opposed to several consecutive years out of the playoffs.

With all of that said, nothing about the fans' loyalty and all the scrutiny that comes with it there really surprises me. Detroit may be "Hockeytown", USA, , but up there, they're all "Hockeytown".

No no. No no no, no team with more cups than Detroit can hoist it. We root for Detroit or teams with zero cups. That's how it works :)

Which is precisely what we had throughout most of the 2000s, SCF matchups between two southern/expansion/southern market teams, poor television ratings, and very little talk about hockey in general.

When the Original 6 are doing well, suddenly ESPN can't turn their nose up at hockey anymore, or call it a "stupid sport" like Skip Baseless did several years back.

When you think about it, hockey is to Canada what football is to the US. In Canada, hockey is more like a religion, or a part of their national identity though. Even some of their currency has images of hockey players on it.

With all of that said, nothing about the fans' loyalty and all the scrutiny that comes with it there really surprises me. Detroit may be "Hockeytown", USA, , but up there, they're all "Hockeytown".

This is very accurate. I've tried explaining to my friends from the States that some Americans are crazy for football, some for baseball, others basketball but here it's all about hockey. Toronto is famous for media scrutiny but mostly because Toronto is our biggest city and the Leafs are a dumpster fire. I live in BC and Vancouver is under a lot of pressure, and Calgary makes a big deal about the Flames. I genuinely believe that all Canadian markets are hard to play in but Toronto receives the most notoriety for their behaviour. Edited by Ally

This is very accurate. I've tried explaining to my friends from the States that some Americans are crazy for football, some for baseball, others basketball but here it's all about hockey. Toronto is famous for media scrutiny but mostly because Toronto is our biggest city and the Leafs are a dumpster fire. I live in BC and Vancouver is under a lot of pressure, and Calgary makes a big deal about the Flames. I genuinely believe that all Canadian markets are hard to play in but Toronto receives the most notoriety for their behaviour.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I've read that Vancouver is a tough to play market too Kesler - not a shy guy - said that the fans were great but he really didn't like the media ache the disrespect inn terms of his of ice privacy, which totally understandable.

Didn't know toronto was the biggest city, always thought it would be the Senators in Ottawa. They run Spezza out of town! Personally I think it's great how much Canadians are loving the sport but there is a line..If players can't go out shopping or the grocery store in peace fans and the media should show more respect.

I mean Toronto is on the verge of running an annually 30+ goalscorer out of town because he is shy and doesn't like to talk to guys like Feschuk..(neither would I). And it doesn't matter what Phaneuf does he can't win there either...I'd gladly take both of their hands!

Doctor's office today..some guy with a Leafs jacket sees my Wings hat and says "Nice hat, damn you guys suck right now!!"

I had no response. Just a dumbfounded stare and a head shake. Leaf fans are a plague on society.

Doctor's office today..some guy with a Leafs jacket sees my Wings hat and says "Nice hat, damn you guys suck right now!!"

I had no response. Just a dumbfounded stare and a head shake. Leaf fans are a plague on society.

see other thread I started ... it is downright embarrassing that Leafs fan calling our team out.

The easy response it that it is only a temporary ailment, whereas it has been a chronic malady since 1967 for the Leafs.

Leafs are doing a classy thing by calling up Colton Orr for Saturday. Should have had him as an energy player way sooner, if you have to lose lose with style and not many are better in that regard than him.

Orr - Prust should be one for the ages. Guy will be an UFA this season but sadly Burke will sign him.

Leafs are doing a classy thing by calling up Colton Orr for Saturday. Should have had him as an energy player way sooner, if you have to lose lose with style and not many are better in that regard than him. Orr - Prust should be one for the ages. Guy will be an UFA this season but sadly Burke will sign him.

What do you consider "losing with style"? Taking other players out?

Leafs are doing a classy thing by calling up Colton Orr for Saturday. Should have had him as an energy player way sooner, if you have to lose lose with style and not many are better in that regard than him. Orr - Prust should be one for the ages. Guy will be an UFA this season but sadly Burke will sign him.

Calling Colton Orr up to the Maple Leafs sends all the wrong messages

The Maple Leafs have called up Orr, a player to whom they’ve already paid almost $6 million in exchange for eight goals in 231 games and are paying $925,000 to play for their AHL team this season, as some kind of thank you for everything he has done for them. We can only imagine what the send-off would be if Orr had actually done anything to help the Leafs win a game over the years.

It’s clear the organization doesn’t even think he can contribute anything meaningful at the AHL level. Because if it did, it would have him playing for the Marlies on Friday and Saturday as they desperately chase the last playoff spot in the AHL’s Western Conference.

Well it's THN this site isn't worth the webspace anymore. Not surprised that their "writers" don't understand the importance of a guy like Orr or basically anything hockey-related, I mean this is the same site that has this political-maniac writing articles that have nothing to do with hockey.

Orr freaking deserves this and I for sure will watch it, the guy has played his heart out for this team and is one of the last true warriors reminding other players but better clean up their act, or else someone sneaky is coming around the corners.

tldr: f*** THN and hats off to #28 Colton Orr

Well it's THN this site isn't worth the webspace anymore. Not surprised that their "writers" don't understand the importance of a guy like Orr or basically anything hockey-related, I mean this is the same site that has this political-maniac writing articles that have nothing to do with hockey.

Orr freaking deserves this and I for sure will watch it, the guy has played his heart out for this team and is one of the last true warriors reminding other players but better clean up their act, or else someone sneaky is coming around the corners.

Orr doesn't even deserve an AHL roster spot.

If by play his heart out you mean continue to suck at hockey lol

Not surprised that some people aren't giving him the respect a man like him deserves. Too bad some can't even keep their anti respect for enforcers bulls*** of for a day of celebration.

May not have been the best player ever but guy has heart and tremendous work ethic and made around 10 million playing the sport he loves! Much better option than turning hockey I into soccer ..

I'd trade our joke of 4 line for 1 Colton Orr every day and twice on Sunday!

Edited by frankgrimes

A fanboy will go out of his ways both verbally to defend every move his chosen does make or doesn't make while a real fan will look at things more rationally and also criticize some moves if he feels it's justified.

Not surprised that some people aren't giving him the respect a man like him deserves. Too bad some can't even keep their anti respect for enforcers bulls*** of for a day of celebration. May not have been the best player ever but guy has heart and tremendous work ethic and made around 10 million playing the sport he loves! Much better option than turning hockey I into soccer .. I'd trade our joke of 4 line for 1 Colton Orr every day and twice on Sunday!

Enough Said lol

Edited by kliq

Lots of guys work their asses off. That doesn't mean that they're good hockey players. And who cares about celebrating Colton Orr, he's not a Wing, he's never been a Wing, and never will be a Wing, and on top of that he sucks. If you like goons so much, I suggest you just follow Brian Burke around and root for his teams. He seems to be the only one who still thinks goons have a place in the league.

I'm all for having guys on the team who will back other players up, but the era of the enforcer is over. Having a guy who is only good at throwing punches and can't skate, shoot, or score is nothing but a waste of a roster spot. Now if you have a guy that can fight, as well as help the team offensively or defensively, then that's different. But just some meatbag with a uniform who is a liability anytime the puck gets near him...nah.

I'm all for having guys on the team who will back other players up, but the era of the enforcer is over. Having a guy who is only good at throwing punches and can't skate, shoot, or score is nothing but a waste of a roster spot. Now if you have a guy that can fight, as well as help the team offensively or defensively, then that's different. But just some meatbag with a uniform who is a liability anytime the puck gets near him...nah.

You're forgetting one important detail; without players like Orr, hockey = soccer.

Want proof? Smith recently played the puck with his hands and was penalized. I think I've made my point.

Lots of guys work their asses off. That doesn't mean that they're good hockey players. And who cares about celebrating Colton Orr, he's not a Wing, he's never been a Wing, and never will be a Wing, and on top of that he sucks. If you like goons so much, I suggest you just follow Brian Burke around and root for his teams. He seems to be the only one who still thinks goons have a place in the league.

Thread is called do Leafs fans deserve better? Orr is a leaf and some people appreciate his contributions. Despite what the annoying anti enforcer crowd believes guy still made the NHL so he is an NHL player.

Thread is called do Leafs fans deserve better? Orr is a leaf and some people appreciate his contributions. Despite what the annoying anti enforcer crowd believes guy still made the NHL so he is an NHL player.
Former NHL player more like. Because the Laffs had the only GM who doesn't understand the modern NHL.
I'm all for having guys on the team who will back other players up, but the era of the enforcer is over. Having a guy who is only good at throwing punches and can't skate, shoot, or score is nothing but a waste of a roster spot. Now if you have a guy that can fight, as well as help the team offensively or defensively, then that's different. But just some meatbag with a uniform who is a liability anytime the puck gets near him...nah. You're forgetting one important detail; without players like Orr, hockey = soccer. Want proof? Smith recently played the puck with his hands and was penalized. I think I've made my point.
Without Orr hockey is hockey. The hand over the puck rule has always been there