517 replies to this topic

#321 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

Burke has no patience

This is one of his biggest problems. Its the same issue Philly has had for 20 years - every year that they don't win the cup they feel like they've got to blow the team up (although at least Philly have always been a playoff team whilst doing it).

Anyway, this could be Burke's last throw of the dice - it certainly should be. The one area where he has shown patience and loyalty (his coach), he gives him a contract extension then fires him a few months later.....
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#322 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Burke just blew $1 mill or more, whatever his one year extension was to his buddy Wilson. Stupid of him to give him extension before Christmas when he hasn't done anything. Having said that, there are so many ex-coaches still living on their contract pay and then get a new job. Does this mean that Carlyle he is getting paid both by Anaheim (whatever his contract was) and Leafs?

#323 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

but Burke was supposed to be the best GM out there who only builds winning franchises....

I can't stand Burke and his love for flashlights. looks like he'll go down in the very best place to do so - Toronto. there won't be shortage of flashes and media attention when he's fired next season...

gotta say... loving every minute of this situation. this team has been atrocious for years - too bad to reach the playoffs, to proud to admin being bad and tank the season for a high draft pick. and I'm sure they won't pull a decent losing streak for the rest of 2011-12 but do their best to finish 9th.

Toronto Maple Laughs. epic fail written all over it.

plus: it's great fun to follow Toronto Sports Network how their tune changed from "this is the year" in the beginning of the season to the current doom and gloom.

Edited by akustyk, 03 March 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#324 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

I don't see this team getting better any time soon. I think they will show flashes of positive play, from time to time. But will stay consistently in the lower half of the eastern conference. To many bad trades, poor drafting, and consistently over paying marginal payers. All this comes down, not on the players, but the management. Why Leafs ownership, old or new, has allowed this to occur for many years now is unbelievable.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#325 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Wow, anyone see Coaches Corner?

Cherry just blasted Burke for having no Ontario born players, he was straight pissed. Then it got personal about how Burke went behind his back to tried to get him fired from CBC.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#326 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Cherry kicking Burke while he is down ... classy!

#327 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

I can't believe CBC keeps Cherry around, the guy is an embarrassment.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#328 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Wrath of Grapes part II
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#329 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Well since it was the 2nd overall pick - it's gotta be Kessel vs Seguin, but I yet haven't announced a winner just yet since neither has hit their respective peak (although I agree with you that Seguin will probably have more upside)...

I can see by next year how the deal will go in the Bruins favor. The Leafs will miss the playoffs this year and next, while Seguin becomes the Bruins best player. Seguin is already only 2 point behind the team lead in points, and is leading the League in +/-. If Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight become solid NHL players too, it'll be a nightmare for Burke.

I'd be surprised if Burke last through next year. I can't stand the Leafs, and I've had enough of the guy.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#330 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

RC seems to be getting it done in TO
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#331 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

RC seems to be getting it done in TO

Yea the sports talk radio shows in Toronto on Monday will be flooded with calls. RC's the savior!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#332 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

Seguin is already only 2 point behind the team lead in points, and is leading the League in +/-. If Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight become solid NHL players too, it'll be a nightmare for Burke.

Having said that, if Seguin actually ended up in a Leafs uniform, I sincerely doubt he'd be putting up those numbers because:
1. Seguin has some pretty good players to skate with in Boston.
2. Toronto doesn't know how to grow and mature young talent (eg. Schenn, Kadri, etc.)

Edited by RedWingsRox, 04 March 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#333 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Having said that, if Seguin actually ended up in a Leafs uniform, I sincerely doubt he'd be putting up those numbers because:
1. Seguin has some pretty good players to skate with in Boston.
2. Toronto doesn't know how to grow and mature young talent (eg. Schenn, Kadri, etc.)

You might have a good point - however while reading another comment concerning Carlyle it's said that he's pretty good with young players (Getlaf/Perry/Ryan to name a few)...Maybe there is some hope for the Leafs afterall?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#334 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

They looked rejuvenated tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if Rosehill is brought back up.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#335 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

Wow, anyone see Coaches Corner?

Cherry just blasted Burke for having no Ontario born players, he was straight pissed. Then it got personal about how Burke went behind his back to tried to get him fired from CBC.

I missed this, I'm not surprised they have a beef. They both talk a lot of smack, but Cherry I have some respect for, even if he is an old f**K. Burke on the other hand, i'm not a big fan probably because of that Ducks team he built. I personally think Burke's method of building teams doesn't work in today's NHL, which is why he's failing in Toronto.
Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#336 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Imagine if Winnipeg made it in and Toronto didn't :lol: :lol: ... which is a very strong possibility.

#337 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#338 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I feel for the fans. But when it comes to Burke, I love seeing him fall on his face.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#339 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

burke hung up during a radio interview

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389625 today:
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#340 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Posted Image

HAHA THIS IS AWESOME!!!! BURKE SUCKS!

The only question is...I wonder how many more seasons he'll run the Leafs into the ground for?