• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#341 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Leafs lose again. This free fall is legendary! I've never seen anything like it before! A month ago they were in 6th, and local sports talk hosts were thinking they had a shot at 4th (which I thought was insane!). Now they're only 3 points out of 14th!

With the way things are going, 14th could happen, and they'll be 27th in the entire league. Hey at least they'll get a decent draft pick. With the way the franchise is going right now, unless Burke make another trade :lol: , that may not be a bad thing. The draft will be the best way to get a Center for Kessel.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#342 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Back before they bailed on the Western Conference, there was a Bruce Cockburn song, "If a Tree Falls", with the lyrics:
"If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?"
We correctly changed it to:
"If the Leafs fall in the Norris does anybody care?"

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#343 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

"If the Leafs fall in the Norris does anybody care?"

Well, as much as I don't like the Leafs, the truth is that they have a thread on a Detroit Red Wings board with 18 pages long ... because of the love them or hate them nature of the Leafs, people care.

#344 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

burke hung up during a radio interview

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389625 today:

When host John Moore of Toronto's News Talk 1010 asked Burke he felt he was 'close to the door,' the NHL executive went on the defensive."I wish you'd told me before you asked me to do this interview that that was going to be your last question," Burke said. "A nice little cheap shot before you get off the air."

When Moore persisted and re-asked his question, Burke was short with his response. "No, I don't [worry about getting dismissed]," Burke said just moments before hanging up. "I think it's an ignorant question, and a gutless one, too."

Surely the gutless thing to do would be to NOT ask the question? His reaction just reinforces everything I think about Burke - he likes to project this tough-guy persona, when he's actually a pouty prima-donna.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#345 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Surely the gutless thing to do would be to NOT ask the question? His reaction just reinforces everything I think about Burke - he likes to project this tough-guy persona, when he's actually a pouty prima-donna.

Burke is a drama queen and I have a suspicion if the Leafs don't make the playoff he is going to bolt and get the hell out of there.

He can't handle the media pressure.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#346 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

It was a douchey question by the interviewer. I don't blame Burke for his response.

Posted Image

#347 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

He's going to miss the playoffs for the 4th straight season. Any coach, or any GM, in any sport, in that situation has to be prepared to be asked if they're worried they're going to lose their job.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#348 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Burke's "Plan B": he can watch the playoffs on TV.

#349 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

The Leafs are just really, really missing Lidstrom and Datsyuk. Once those two are back in the lineup, things will turn around. :thumbup: :usaflag:

:huh:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#350 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Talk today on TSN Radio in Toronto was that Burke's rebuild has failed. I agree... That must a horrible feeling as a fan, Burke has been there 4 years, and they still don't have a piece or two to build around. Plus Seguin scored two goals against them last night.

Ray Ferarro was on and the host, Bryan Hayes, asked him how many players the Leafs are away from contending. Ray said 4, a 1st line center, a big winger, a front line D, and a goalie... That's 3 or 4 years of work for a GM! What's Burke been doing the last 4 years?

I seriously wonder if I'm the only one living in the Toronto area who's frustrated with the Leafs, and I can't stand them! Figure that one out! :lol:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#351 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

Toronto lost to Pittsburgh after leading 2-0. To their defense, it was Pittsburgh. I heard Peyton Manning is available, maybe he can help them :lol:

#352 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Besides the standings and assuming there will be a replacement for the position, the new President & CEO of MLSE might hold Burke's fate in his/her hands.

#353 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,367 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

I think Burke has actually done a pretty decent job in their rebuild. When he arrived, they had next to nothing.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#354 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

I think Burke has actually done a pretty decent job in their rebuild. When he arrived, they had next to nothing.

Exactly.

This team looks as though it has potential to make the playoffs - however it needs a coach, and a system that the players respond to.

I'm thinking if Carlyle was the head coach a few months ago (unlikely since the Leafs were in 6th spot then) this spiral downwards may have been avoided.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#355 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_DV54ddNHE

#356 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Leafs just aren't consistent enough. Another year missing the playoffs. Ouch. Tough times as always for Leaf fans.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 11 March 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#357 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Here is Brian Burke in his former life during the Civil War...

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 11 March 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#358 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,062 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

Leafs just aren't consistent enough. Another year missing the playoffs.

Seems pretty consistent to me. :hehe:
  • Nev likes this

Don't Toews me, bro!

#359 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

what exactly do they have now?

decent starting goalie? nope. by far not
good D corps? nope
decent forwards? yep, but it's not like they have prime talent there...
good teamwork in D? absolutely not. their defense is pathetic
good teamwork in front? yes, when it works...

Maple Laughs are a disaster right now. if you recall how Blackhawks or Penguins rebuild process... they at least were on the right path in their 4th year...

#360 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=2hXSAtz6haM