517 replies to this topic

#21 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

They deserve nothing.

I spent my entire childhood rooting for the "Dead Wings" only to have my heart ripped out in '95.

That only made the victory in 97 so much the sweeter.

If it happens for the Leafs, great. If not, thats too bad, but you wont see me crying a tear for them.

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

The funny thing is, perhaps it's the blind loyalty that is keeping the leafs down. If these people wouldn't be so ready to still pay big money for tickets and everything else despite chronically being known as "Loserville," perhaps the financial pressure might force some changes to be made. To me, it's dumb to want to pay for an inferior product year after year. So no, maybe Leafs fans don't deserve better.

This is exactly the problem. You pay for the inferior product and the product WON'T get better. The people who make the money don't care about winning or losing. They care about money. Look at the Chicago Cubs. 102 Years since they won, and they make money, so they don't care to get better.

So what you are saying is they love their hockey and their team so much it in fact makes them stupid? They happen to be that much more passionate than you, so they deserve to lose? That makes tons of sense.

That's not what he was saying at all. Maybe if you READ the post, and actually understand it, you wouldn't respond with such a snide comment. The problem is, that their blind loyalty to a poor quality tells the ownership that they don't have to improve. When a team is bad, the fans SHOULD stop paying money, otherwise, the team won't bother to get better. If Detroit was a last place team, I'd still watch on TV or my Computer, but I would not buy tickets or any other memorabilia. The fact that they sell out every game only encourages their ownership to put a s***ty product on the ice. It has nothing to do with their passion making them deserve to lose. It's that they continue to pump money into the pockets of people who ONLY care about money. A winning team is only as good as the money it makes.

That being said, Habs fans nearly burned the city to the ground after they won one playoff series.

Imagine what Leaf fans would do to Toronto if the Leafs won the Cup.

To compare Montreal residents to Toronto residents is ridiculous. Yes, both teams have hardcore fans. Have you ever BEEN to Montreal? The people there are crazy. ALWAYS. It's just a psycho city. Beautiful, and a lot of fun... but crazy.

Toronto is a lot more business oriented, and so people are a lot more reserved. Try comparing New York to Miami. Miami is a party city, and is completely crazy, but New York is a work city and a lot more reserved.

#23 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

leafs down 3-0 already tonight

#24 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

That being said, Habs fans nearly burned the city to the ground after they won one playoff series.

Imagine what Leaf fans would do to Toronto if the Leafs won the Cup.

Closest the Leafs will get to the cup is if Burkie books them a team field trip to the Hockey Hall of Fame !

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#25 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#26 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

That's not what he was saying at all. Maybe if you READ the post, and actually understand it, you wouldn't respond with such a snide comment. The problem is, that their blind loyalty to a poor quality tells the ownership that they don't have to improve. When a team is bad, the fans SHOULD stop paying money, otherwise, the team won't bother to get better. If Detroit was a last place team, I'd still watch on TV or my Computer, but I would not buy tickets or any other memorabilia. The fact that they sell out every game only encourages their ownership to put a s***ty product on the ice. It has nothing to do with their passion making them deserve to lose. It's that they continue to pump money into the pockets of people who ONLY care about money. A winning team is only as good as the money it makes.

I did read the comment, and if thats the way you want to look at it whatever than. If the fans are satisfied with an inferior product as you say they dont need anything better. I understand what you and dicksmack mean, but unless there is a change in ownership/management overhaul the team will suck for a long time. At the end of the day I still believe the fans do deserve better. The most passionate fans in the NHL get to watch a garbage team year after year,but can you blame them for loving hockey? If dicksmacks idea is so great you can go share it on a Leafs board.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:18 PM

Maybe this thread is what they needed. A classic Lebda screwup which directly led to a 4-1 Leafs deficit is now 4-3.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#28 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

And make that 4-4. Leaf fans certainly getting treated tonight.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#29 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

5-4

Maybe Nashville should think about not taking any more penalties lol.

PP's
Toronto - 6
Nashville - 0

#30 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

Holy s*** :lol:

#31 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

As a Wings fan, I like most other teams to lose. Being an long-time hockey fan, I hate to see Original Six teams do poorly.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#32 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:39 PM

holy s*** so many weak penalties, leafs need them dual 5on3s to score, lmao.

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

I'd be all kinds of pissed if I were a Nashville fan.

The officials must have read this thread before the 2nd period.

#34 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:55 PM

They deserve nothing.

I spent my entire childhood rooting for the "Dead Wings" only to have my heart ripped out in '95.

That only made the victory in 97 so much the sweeter.

If it happens for the Leafs, great. If not, thats too bad, but you wont see me crying a tear for them.

Meh... I appreciate the spirit of your post but every ticket buying hockey fan deserves to watch a competitive team once in a while...

#35 WMUCarGuy

WMUCarGuy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

Reading through a thread at HF Boards, I got to thinking - do Leaf fans, as fans of a proud Original 6 Franchise, deserve better than what they've been getting? Horrible management, mediocre at best teams, horrible trades/signings and MLSE's only motivation being for profit hasn't stopped the fans from coming to games or buying merchandise. Of course, fans are enjoying watching their failures, many Wings fans among them.

I don't like the Leafs as much as the next guy, but I can't help but feel the smallest portion of pity for what their fans endure compared to Detroit fans. I sure don't feel bad for the team, but to the Leaf fans who are starving for a winner (not the cocky, entitled fans), I do to a certain extent.

Sounds a bit like Lions fans to me... Not that the Lions have anything close to the amount of heritage and tradition the Leafs do. But there are SO many idiots that continue to fill Ford Field and buy season tickets and merchandise that the Fords are making a nice amount of money on them. Given that, they have no real care to make the team competitive, much less winners as they can just keep doing the bare minimum and getting rich from it.

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Reading through a thread at HF Boards, I got to thinking - do Leaf fans, as fans of a proud Original 6 Franchise, deserve better than what they've been getting? Horrible management, mediocre at best teams, horrible trades/signings and MLSE's only motivation being for profit hasn't stopped the fans from coming to games or buying merchandise. Of course, fans are enjoying watching their failures, many Wings fans among them.

I don't like the Leafs as much as the next guy, but I can't help but feel the smallest portion of pity for what their fans endure compared to Detroit fans. I sure don't feel bad for the team, but to the Leaf fans who are starving for a winner (not the cocky, entitled fans), I do to a certain extent.

I kind of do. Honestly though the massive obsession with every little move that franchise makes somewhat dampens my obsession.

If Detroit were in the Eastern conference (where they belong), I'd probably care a lot more, because few things would be greater than a renewed Leafs-Wings rivalry.

#37 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

Sounds a bit like Lions fans to me... Not that the Lions have anything close to the amount of heritage and tradition the Leafs do. But there are SO many idiots that continue to fill Ford Field and buy season tickets and merchandise that the Fords are making a nice amount of money on them. Given that, they have no real care to make the team competitive, much less winners as they can just keep doing the bare minimum and getting rich from it.

An effective way of sending a message would be for the fans to simply not go to the games.

#38 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

An effective way of sending a message would be for the fans to simply not go to the games.

I hear you - and that's what I do in regards with the Tigers, Pistons, and Lions - I'm not a huge fan so I'm not that interested when it is a crummy product.

But I am a die-hard Wings and hockey fan - I gladly went to games in the 80s and still bought merchandise, and my father did before me all throughout the 60s and 70s.

So I can't fault Leafs' fans for still supporting the team and sport they love, and they do deserve better - better than what Chicago/Pittsburgh and their whole 5,000 still loyal through the ugly years fans deserved. But do I feel sorry for them? Hell no! The Leafs and their fans can wallow in misery for another 45 years for all I care. I personally can't wait for Detroit to catch and pass them in total Stanley Cups.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#39 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,610 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

I hear you - and that's what I do in regards with the Tigers, Pistons, and Lions - I'm not a huge fan so I'm not that interested when it is a crummy product.

But I am a die-hard Wings and hockey fan - I gladly went to games in the 80s and still bought merchandise, and my father did before me all throughout the 60s and 70s.

So I can't fault Leafs' fans for still supporting the team and sport they love, and they do deserve better - better than what Chicago/Pittsburgh and their whole 5,000 still loyal through the ugly years fans deserved. But do I feel sorry for them? Hell no! The Leafs and their fans can wallow in misery for another 45 years for all I care. I personally can't wait for Detroit to catch and pass them in total Stanley Cups.

I can hear it now -

"The '67 team could kick your team's ass!"

#40 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:00 AM

I can hear it now -

"The '67 team could kick your team's ass!"

the 52' red wings would beg to differ.

a perfect 8-0 in the playoffs