• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#461 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

What lost my respect for the Leafs was during 24/7, their team song they play after wins or to motivate them is Miley Cyrus We Can't Stop.  Seriously?  Gag.

Carlyle joked about it, that he's hard rock guy, Ozzy and Black Sabbath lol. 

But really, Miley Cyrus as your team song?  You deserve to lose in a proper way just on principle alone.

Stay classy Leafs...

miley-vera.jpg

#462 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

What lost my respect for the Leafs was during 24/7, their team song they play after wins or to motivate them is Miley Cyrus We Can't Stop.  Seriously?  Gag.

Carlyle joked about it, that he's hard rock guy, Ozzy and Black Sabbath lol. 

But really, Miley Cyrus as your team song?  You deserve to lose in a proper way just on principle alone.

Stay classy Leafs...

Colton Orr and McLaren like it so if players are having a problem with the song they can talk to those two...was a quote from Bozak

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#463 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

I do not feel bad for Leafs fans or any teams misfortunes this year after what we have gone through with injuries. The truly great franchises find a way to win even after all the adversity.

#464 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Remember Rask for Raycroft? Bahahahahahahahaha

#465 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

Remember Rask for Raycroft? Bahahahahahahahaha

Well to be fair they did have future hall-of-famer Justin Pogge.  :lol:

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#466 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Well to be fair they did have future hall-of-famer Justin Pogge.  :lol:

The Raycroft and Kessel trades are exactly what that fan base deserve. Along with the Clarkson and Phaneuf contracts.
  • Nev likes this

#467 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

The Raycroft and Kessel trades are exactly what that fan base deserve. Along with the Clarkson and Phaneuf contracts.

Yeah...my better half is a hardcore Leafs fan (as is her entire family).  I've learned well to bite my tongue...lol

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#468 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:54 PM

Latest on the possibility that the Leafs' brass are talking about using a regular buy out on Clarkson in the off season

http://www.thehockey...david-clarkson/

Remember when Wings fans were screaming because we didn't go after Clarkson? Remember that?

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 31 March 2014 - 11:54 PM.

#469 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Latest on the possibility that the Leafs' brass are talking about using a regular buy out on Clarkson in the off season

Remember when Wings fans were screaming because we didn't go after Clarkson? Remember that?

If it were up to a lot of the fans here we'd be stuck with Clarkson and Brunner right now for a combined total of 7.5 million plus. I recall a couple posters claiming it was an "epic fail" not bringing Brunner back and signing Alfredsson instead. Granted down the stretch Alfredsson has underwhelmed but he's been a lot more productive overall than Brunner regardless.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#470 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

I'm not really that well versed in "Leafspeak", so I'm not sure if this is

A) an admission of guilt by Carlyle after his comments about Reimer last week or

B) his way of shifting blame onto the media for all of his team's problems.

Drew MacIntyre: the next "great" goaltender in Toronto?

C) both.  Carlyle is a limited, old school coach who unfairly threw his goalie under the bus.  But the media in general, and the Toronto media in particular, are lying , hypocritical asshats who essentially force people down the road of meaningless soundbites.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#471 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

If it were up to a lot of the fans here we'd be stuck with Clarkson and Brunner right now for a combined total of 7.5 million plus. I recall a couple posters claiming it was an "epic fail" not bringing Brunner back and signing Alfredsson instead. Granted down the stretch Alfredsson has underwhelmed but he's been a lot more productive overall than Brunner regardless.

I've been seeing on twitter a lot the last few days that Alfie has been playing with a broken pinky and/or ring finger. Would explain his lack of ice time and production. 

#472 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Early on this season, when all was well and the standings painted a bright and rosy picture for "Leafs Nation", the players bought into to "The Carlyle Way". Something seems to have happened recently, almost as if some aren't drinking Kool-Aid from the same trough.

Did Leiweke's directions for the "Cup Parade" have a "Best Before" date on them?

Ron Wilson, where are you when you're really needed?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#473 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

I legitimately feel bad for the leafs. I want all original six teams to be the best six teams in the league. I enjoy the rivarly, i want them to be worse then the wings but still good. Its unfortunate their managment is a hot bag of poop

#474 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

I like Clarkson - I really do, but not for the $5.25 million cap hit...For $2 million he'd be a good addition.

I legitimately feel bad for the leafs. I want all original six teams to be the best six teams in the league. I enjoy the rivarly, i want them to be worse then the wings but still good. Its unfortunate their managment is a hot bag of poop

Agreed.

I have a soft spot for the Leafs; Wendel Clark, and Doug Gilmour in particular.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#475 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

While I feel I'd like to see the Leafs be relatively successful (by that I meant, post a winning record/possibly make the playoffs because I think it's good for the league and them), I also can't help but smile smugly at their current demise. This has nothing to do with the Wings at all. I find that, especially from watching 24/7, that there is and has been a certain feeling of entitlement to their team, the players in the locker room and even management to an extent.

Everyone knows now that its about drafting and developing your way to success, and that is excatly what Burke should have done when he took the helm. Instead he essentially wasted 2 first round picks, and yes while he fleeced Calgary for Phaneuf, what they really needed was a proper rebuild, but his hand was forced because essentially the crybabies in the media and fans couldn't accept this fact and were too short sighted to see that this would lead to long term success (see Colorado - they bottomed out for a couple of seasons, got some really good first round picks, and now are on the up).

I guess I can't help but say they brought it on themselves to an extent.

temp 1

#476 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

I like Clarkson - I really do, but not for the $5.25 million cap hit...For $2 million he'd be a good addition.

Agreed.

I have a soft spot for the Leafs; Wendel Clark, and Doug Gilmour in particular.

There are some Leafs players I really like Orr, McLaren, Kessel, JVR, Bernier, Reimer and that Reilly kid but some are just pure arrogant showboaters (Kadri, Lupul). Add to that a very bipolar loud fanbase, where sadfully the knowledgeable people are also the quiet ones it becomes hard to really "like" them.

Personally the league should thank all Original Six teams without them this league wouldn't even exist and a certain commisher would NOT be allowed to create plastic teams in questionable locations with a marginal fansupport.

As for Carlyle: The guy was just a shortterm fix he is a good coach but also very old school and blunt with his players, some luck that others do not. I know I wouldn't like it.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#477 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

I laugh at the idea that a new facility is going to have to be built in order for the Maple Leafs to host one of the gazillion upcoming outdoor games to be played.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#478 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

every time this thread comes up, for what already - three and a half years now? - I scream:

NO, they don't!!!

#479 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Yep, they do deserve a better team. You have to feel bad for a city that lives and breathes hockey and has the history that they do. Anyone who hasn't been there for a game and a visit to the HOF needs to go so you can see what I'm talking about. The Leafs have turned into something along the lines of the Detroit Lions of hockey. What a joke. 

No Original Six team should be a perennial loser, year after year after year. It's just not in the best interests of the game. 

#480 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Like every other fan base in every other sport the loudest and most outrageous fans tend to paint the entire fanbase in their colors.

For all the Leaf fans that deserve those trades there are millions who really do deserve to see some success.

Night after night through decades of futility they continue to fill their arena, while also paying the highest ticket prices in the league.

The waitlist to get season tickets there is so long that signing up right now would give your grandchildren, or great grandchildren the opportunity to buy tickets.

I may hate the team, but living in this city it's hard not to feel bad for the fans that just want more than anything else in the world to see their team win. We should have some sympathy for them considering the 42 years our fanbase went without a cup. They're closing in on 50.