- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#502 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

randy_carlyle.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

No pressure here; none whatsoever. He only needs replacement assistant coaches and players who won't give up on his "system".

I guess Randy Carlyle would have received a 13-year extension if he'd made the playoffs.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

#503 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

I love the overreaction from leafs nation signing an extension doesn't mean that a coach cannot be fired. For sure Nonis will include some buyout clauses in this. Although I'm wondering what Carlyle has done after winning the cup with two HHOF defenders, really nor much..

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#504 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

I love the overreaction from leafs nation signing an extension doesn't mean that a coach cannot be fired. For sure Nonis will include some buyout clauses in this. Although I'm wondering what Carlyle has done after winning the cup with two HHOF defenders, really nor much..

Agreed.

It's much - much easier to blame the coaching staff for their tumble in the standings when a significant portion of blame rests with the players under performing (fair amount of youth as well).

I'm hoping they turn it around for it's always good to see a Original 6 team do well.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#505 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Jesus I hate the Toronto Maple Leafs.  These dumb bastards don't know which end is up.  If they'd just left Burke alone they wouldn't be in this mess and they're too dumb to know it.  All he ever did was bring the entire nucleus of their team together...including Kessel, Lupul, Van Riemsdyk, Phaneuf.  They were trending upward too, then they fire Burke and they've had two fantastically massive implosions in a row. 

f*** the Maple Leafs!

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#506 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Was just browsing HFBoards, some Leafs fans seem to think that Babcock will be the next coach of the Leafs.

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#507 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Was just browsing HFBoards, some Leafs fans seem to think that Babcock will be the next coach of the Leafs. 

This stupid Damien Cox article made them really believe they might get Babcock what the hell is wrong with them ?

They are only getting Babcock, if we get Kessel, Phaneuf and Gardiner for Drew Miller and Johan Franzen.

Anyway, the players have to share the blame here too. The Leafs have an ownership problem, Rogers and Bell HATE each other I can't believe the court allowed them to co own such a storied franchise, that's unbelievable.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#508 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Jesus I hate the Toronto Maple Leafs.  These dumb bastards don't know which end is up.  If they'd just left Burke alone they wouldn't be in this mess and they're too dumb to know it.  All he ever did was bring the entire nucleus of their team together...including Kessel, Lupul, Van Riemsdyk, Phaneuf.  They were trending upward too, then they fire Burke and they've had two fantastically massive implosions in a row. 

f*** the Maple Leafs!

Don't forget he brought 'truculence' as well.

#509 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

Don't forget he brought 'truculence' as well.

Well, everybody knows my position on fighting...but having said that, if you're going to spectacularly disappoint your fan base each year the very least you can do is let them watch Orr and McLaren beat people up.  So we'll call that a net positive for Burkie despite it's having exactly zero effect on winning games.

p.s. I also want to add that I'm in no way trying to make Burke into some super hero.  He's a good GM, but not a great one.  However, he did have them moving in the right direction and history has shown that he can put together a winner if left alone.  Since giving the team to an inexperienced knuckledhead you've seen the results...and TOR can expect the same under Shanny considering he has ZERO front office experience was well.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#510 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

tln%20ron%20wilson,%207%20february%20201

"That was my dynasty... mine I tell you!!!"

#511 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

f*** the Maple Leafs!

What?  This makes no sense whatsoever?  This "mess" is of Burke's making.  The players are Burke's, the coach is Burke's.  The Leafs failed to make the playoffs season after season under Burke.  The year he was fired, his team of players and his coach gave one of the most spectacular choke jobs of all time.  So 7 (?) seasons of Burke's Leafs, 1 playoff appearance, 1 first round exit.

However, he did have them moving in the right direction and history has shown that he can put together a winner if left alone

In Vancouver he did nothing.  In Anaheim, his patented strategy of throwing players at the wall and seeing who sticks, combined with the stars aligning (Niedermeyer falling into his lap, getting Beachamin a player he admitted he'd never heard of, Getzlaf and Perry on ELCs) for one season.  The following season he continued to throw players at the wall throwing piles of money at the likes of Bertuzzi and Schneider and through being "left alone" started to dismantle one of the best post lockout teams.

And in Toronto he continued to do nothing.  A huge bunch of trades, FA signings.....and the team is no better than they were 7 years ago.

But he likes fighters, and the Canadian media loves him, so he ends up with this massively over-blown reputation.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#512 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

What?  This makes no sense whatsoever?  This "mess" is of Burke's making.  The players are Burke's, the coach is Burke's.  The Leafs failed to make the playoffs season after season under Burke.  The year he was fired, his team of players and his coach gave one of the most spectacular choke jobs of all time.  So 7 (?) seasons of Burke's Leafs, 1 playoff appearance, 1 first round exit.

In Vancouver he did nothing.  In Anaheim, his patented strategy of throwing players at the wall and seeing who sticks, combined with the stars aligning (Niedermeyer falling into his lap, getting Beachamin a player he admitted he'd never heard of, Getzlaf and Perry on ELCs) for one season.  The following season he continued to throw players at the wall throwing piles of money at the likes of Bertuzzi and Schneider and through being "left alone" started to dismantle one of the best post lockout teams.

And in Toronto he continued to do nothing.  A huge bunch of trades, FA signings.....and the team is no better than they were 7 years ago.

But he likes fighters, and the Canadian media loves him, so he ends up with this massively over-blown reputation.

Well there you have it folks, any idiot can do what Burke does.  He's just a stupid, old, brainless, fart and all of his accomplishments across a long career were the product of pure unadulterated luck. 

Just lucked his way into an NHL executive job.  Lucked his way into a Stanely Cup.  Lucked his way into an Olympic Silver.  Luck, luck, luck. 

We should all be so lucky.

Edited by kipwinger, 09 May 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#513 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Well there you have it folks, any idiot can do what Burke does.  He's just a stupid, old, brainless, fart and all of his accomplishments across a long career were the product of pure unadulterated luck. 

Just lucked his way into an NHL executive job.  Lucked his way into a Stanely Cup.  Lucked his way into an Olympic Silver.  Luck, luck, luck. 

"All of his accomplishments"???  In 14 seasons as GM of Hartford, Vancouver, Anaheim and Toronto he failed to qualify for the playoffs 7 times!  He failed to get past the 1st round another 4 times.

That means in 14 seasons as GM he has gotten past the 1st round just 3 times.  Think about that, and not just the 07 Ducks.  He's 3 for 16 if you include the last 2 Leafs seasons with his players and his coach.

As for his Olympic silver, thats worth about as much as Hollands golds ie not a lot

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#514 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

"All of his accomplishments"???  In 14 seasons as GM of Hartford, Vancouver, Anaheim and Toronto he failed to qualify for the playoffs 7 times!  He failed to get past the 1st round another 4 times.

That means in 14 seasons as GM he has gotten past the 1st round just 3 times.  Think about that, and not just the 07 Ducks.  He's 3 for 16 if you include the last 2 Leafs seasons with his players and his coach.

As for his Olympic silver, thats worth about as much as Hollands golds ie not a lot

I get it, you don't think Burke is any good.  I honestly don't give a s*** about this debate.  I'm not the guy's best friend or anything.  I said he's good, not great.  You disagree.  Woowee.

#515 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

Two-year contract with a team option: also known as a one-year contract.

#516 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

If Burke was so bad - how does he keep finding himself employment with an NHL franchise front office?

IMHO his only 'fault' that really stands out was his hiring of coach Wilson - oh and signing Komisarek to that horrendous deal.

#517 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:11 AM

dolighan_cartoon_may1614.jpg

#518 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

burke can draft. thats about it. lucky for him drafting is extremely important in the draft era. id hire him as a special assistant or scout in a heart beat