Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

How are they doing now?

Apparently they've stopped reading it.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#82 MaynardJKeenan

MaynardJKeenan

I'll..keep...digging...till I.. feel..something

• Gold Booster
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:41 PM

How bout' us loyal Lions fanz? I know i get a great hockey team year in and year out but I'd trade 1 bad year by the Wings for just 1 9-7 or even 8-8 record and maybe even a playoff appearance for my Lions. BRING back Wayne Fontes (aka Rasputin) !!!!

#83 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

How bout' us loyal Lions fanz? I know i get a great hockey team year in and year out but I'd trade 1 bad year by the Wings for just 1 9-7 or even 8-8 record and maybe even a playoff appearance for my Lions. BRING back Wayne Fontes (aka Rasputin) !!!!

I would only trade a bad Wings season for a Superbowl win. Otherwise I'd just get my hopes up and be frustrated like in the Sanders years and sometimes in the Sims years.

But yeah- Bring Back Fontes!!!

#84 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

I would only trade a bad Wings season for a Superbowl win. Otherwise I'd just get my hopes up and be frustrated like in the Sanders years and sometimes in the Sims years.

Even better, the Lions get their crap together on their own!

I'll drink the kool-aid, I think the Tigers are going to win the AL Central.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#85 mystre

mystre

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

My friend in Toronto says most of the tickets are bought up by the corporations and used to entertain clients. He says the group that owns the Leafs only thinks of the franchise as an investment, and as long as the tickets sell they don't really care about winning.

As much as I hated the leafs in the 80s and 90s I feel sorry for the fans. Celebrating 4 Stanley Cups eases the hate.

#86 daniel1

daniel1

#40 - UNSTOPPABLE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

I do not feel sorry for them whatsoever. Suffer, suffer, suffer and then suffer through some more losing seasons leafblowers. It's karma, pure and simple, they are ALWAYS overhyped, shoved down our throats here in Canada, and have made the most horrific hockey decisions in the NHL. They've made their bed of s***, now they can lie in it and enjoy the smell.
"And? If I did, I probably would have been a fighter, so what?"

Who knows; maybe you would realize that enforcers in hockey are critical to a teams chemistry and overall success?

#87 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

Poor old Lebda. Its not his fault Brian Burke is an idiot.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#88 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

But Wayne Fontes was a terrible coach! He only let the team to three playoff appearances, two division titles and one conference championship game in his eight year tenure. That's unthinkable compared to the zero playoff appearances and only two winning seasons in the 14 finished seasons since he left, including the winless season, three seasons with two wins, two seasons with three wins, and only two playoff appearances.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#89 MaynardJKeenan

MaynardJKeenan

I'll..keep...digging...till I.. feel..something

• Gold Booster
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

But Wayne Fontes was a terrible coach! He only let the team to three playoff appearances, two division titles and one conference championship game in his eight year tenure. That's unthinkable compared to the zero playoff appearances and only two winning seasons in the 14 finished seasons since he left, including the winless season, three seasons with two wins, two seasons with three wins, and only two playoff appearances.

True, Fontes wasn't great but I met him once when he was working for the Bucs and he is the nicest guy and a players coach. I mean, I'll take 8 and 8 any day over what has happened since. I do like the direction we are headed with Schwartz, if our Qb can stay healthy we might have something.

#90 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

I miss Scott Mitchell :P
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#91 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Waffles?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#92 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

:blink:

maybe you meant zero playoff wins for the first one? i agree with your point in any case.

also, not that i mind, but i love how this had turned in to a lions thread. :D

Edited by stormboy, 10 December 2010 - 11:48 AM.

go wings.

#93 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Sorry, but the Lions talk ends here. Back on topic, please.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#94 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

Pronger - "Who brings a waffle to the game?"

What do the waffles even mean?

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#95 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

Pronger - "Who brings a waffle to the game?"

What do the waffles even mean?

I was wondering about the significance of the waffles myself. I know that outside of North America waffle can be used to describe babbling. Wikipedia says it can also refer to a politician switching sides on issues and indecision in general. I'm not sure any of those really apply to the Leafs, but I will leave with some advice for the team: "The Waffles are a trap..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2rkKXL2gk

#96 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

Frozen waffles can be quite deadly; I think they were once used in a James Bond movie.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#97 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

And to think that the Leafs started out, what, 4-0 on the year?

#98 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Yeah. They play 82 of them for some sort of reason. Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#99 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

That would be what is known as a win/win situation; Leafs win the Cup - *poof* no more Leafs fans. :)

Yeah, that really worked for Chicago, didn't it? <_<
Times didn't get better until there was a change in ownership.

Yeah but who wants to wait 49 years to win 1 cup and then the following year go back to being mediocre.
Do or do not. There is no try

#100 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

Toronto fans are the worst, so I don't feel sorry for them at all. All they do is chirp if they see you wearing a team other than the Leafs, you can't even have a serious conversation with them. I remember going to the bar for Game 7 in the 09 Finals and all the Leaf fans there used tape and put the name Crosby all over there leaf jerseys and constantly bickered about the Wings getting easy runs to the Cup lol. I think its like majority of the fans in the NHL, they envy Detroit for there success in the last 20 years for the most recent. Any Wing fan in Ontario can probably tell you the same thing, and you think there loyal but really hate the team and want to trade everyone on it when they start losing.