• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 WpgMikos

WpgMikos

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

The Wings had their own 40 year drought(1955/56 to 1995-96) and while thankfully not something the Wings have had to deal with in a long time check out some of the current droughts suffered by fans elsewhere;

Posted Image

A couple of things I found noteworthy from this list;

1) Kings & Blues fans have put up with too many years of futility.

2) I never realized that the Blues went to 3 straight Stanley Cup Finals.

3) Jets/Coyotes - 30 years of futility. (although Wpg did manage 3 Avco cups in the 70's).

4) Unlike some of the teams on this list with droughts over 15 years, neither the Jets/Coyotes (30 yrs) and Sharks (18 yrs) have ever made a Stanley Cup Finals.

5) Of the teams that have never made the Stanley Cup Finals, 5 were from the West and 1 was from the East.

Question:
Which team on this list do you think is most likely to win the Stanley Cup first?

Guess:
My thought, in no particular order is; Capitals, Canucks and maybe Bruins.

#2 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hey we're suffering on here too. Wings haven't won a cup in over two years. It's the worst. :P

#3 WpgMikos

WpgMikos

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

Hey we're suffering on here too. Wings haven't won a cup in over two years. It's the worst. :P

haha. Good point.

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

I always find it hard to believe that the Blues have never won a Cup. They have donned some pretty legit teams over the years.

#5 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

Sabers and Blues have had the most success despite never winning a Cup. Philly has been the most successful of the long-drought teams.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#6 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

I never realized that the Blues went to 3 straight Stanley Cup Finals.

When the league expanded from 6 to 12 teams, the original 6 were playing in the East division and the expansion teams were playing in the West division. Scotty Bowman was coaching the Blues, leading them to 3 straight division titles.

#7 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 788 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:56 AM

Ain't it something that the Leafs haven't won it all in 40+ years yet still got the second most all time to the juggernaut that the Habs are?

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#8 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

Feeling the drought is killing me... 2008 was a long time ago

#9 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

Vancouver, but only if they can get consistent goaltending. I always have the feeling that Alain Vigneault has that hidden trait of being able to screw up as a coach at the worst possible time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#10 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

I realized when Chicago won last year that I was officially old. All teams that have won the Cup have now done so in my lifetime (see my sig).

Of those with droughts, I'd go with the Caps. The Sharks might get it... One of these years...

#11 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

I feel worst for the Bruins and Flyers -- they keep making it to the finals but not winning that one last series.

Given how the St. Louis Blues fans remind me of how Red Sox fans used to be, I want them to be cupless for a while. Their attitude and distaste for the Wings is nothing short of comedy gold.

Edited by Shoreline, 17 November 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#12 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Devils will have a drought as long as they have kovalchuk's contract on their books

#13 WpgMikos

WpgMikos

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

I feel worst for the Bruins and Flyers -- they keep making it to the finals but not winning that one last series.

Thinking back to the 1989/90 Stanley Cup, as much as I was happy for a Smythe Division team to win (again), I believe I was pulling for Andy Moog to beat his former team (although there was something kinda awesome about Billy Ranford). I believe that they played the longest game in playoff history (like 3 OT's) during that series.

#14 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

A bunch of those are potential contenders this season IMO: Vancouver, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia and even LA could prove to be a bit of a dark horse, especially if they acquire a playoff piece at the deadline.

#15 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

Washington and Kings will win in the coming years and it's as certain as blackhawks and pittsburghs cup were, it's just a result of the post lockout nhl and current CBA...I would rather have a pretty strong team year after year instead of one-and-done-cup like chicagos was... get those top 1st/5th overall picks, have the best and skilled players on entry level deals and a few smart signings here and there, BINGO, a cup, congrats, Summer after cup = goodbye 3-8 players, hello no-depth, back to mediocracy/sucking.

Edited by mindfly, 17 November 2010 - 12:58 PM.

#16 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

The Wings had their own 40 year drought(1955/56 to 1995-96)

42 year drought. 1954/55 - 1996/97. Unless you meant SCF appearances, then you're talking 29 years, 1965/66 - 1995.
RIP #24

#17 truebladearmy

truebladearmy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

LA has about their best chance of breaking their drought this year, as I've ever seen them have. When Chicago died after winning Stanley, I believe the spirit of Stanley was reincarnated in this years Kings.

Unfortunate for them, the Winged Wheel seems to be headed to the same place.

I am making this bold Prediction, here and now.

If Detroit and the LA Kings meet in the playoffs, the winning team will go on to win the Stanley Cup.

#18 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

im suprised buffalo sports fans haven't gone insane by now

#19 Datsyuk4Life

Datsyuk4Life

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

I do not see Toronto winning a Cup any time soon. With how good the Wings are now we should win it hands down.

#20 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

LA has about their best chance of breaking their drought this year, as I've ever seen them have. When Chicago died after winning Stanley, I believe the spirit of Stanley was reincarnated in this years Kings.

Unfortunate for them, the Winged Wheel seems to be headed to the same place.

I am making this bold Prediction, here and now.

If Detroit and the LA Kings meet in the playoffs, the winning team will go on to win the Stanley Cup.

I disagree,Vancouver is better than the Kings,as is Philadelphia

Edited by ricky0034, 17 November 2010 - 06:00 PM.