• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WpgMikos

Stanley Cup Droughts

Rate this topic

The Wings had their own 40 year drought(1955/56 to 1995-96) and while thankfully not something the Wings have had to deal with in a long time check out some of the current droughts suffered by fans elsewhere;

StanleyCupdroughts.jpg

A couple of things I found noteworthy from this list;

1) Kings & Blues fans have put up with too many years of futility.

2) I never realized that the Blues went to 3 straight Stanley Cup Finals.

3) Jets/Coyotes - 30 years of futility. (although Wpg did manage 3 Avco cups in the 70's).

4) Unlike some of the teams on this list with droughts over 15 years, neither the Jets/Coyotes (30 yrs) and Sharks (18 yrs) have ever made a Stanley Cup Finals.

5) Of the teams that have never made the Stanley Cup Finals, 5 were from the West and 1 was from the East.

Question:

Which team on this list do you think is most likely to win the Stanley Cup first?

Guess:

My thought, in no particular order is; Capitals, Canucks and maybe Bruins.

I never realized that the Blues went to 3 straight Stanley Cup Finals.

When the league expanded from 6 to 12 teams, the original 6 were playing in the East division and the expansion teams were playing in the West division. Scotty Bowman was coaching the Blues, leading them to 3 straight division titles.

I realized when Chicago won last year that I was officially old. All teams that have won the Cup have now done so in my lifetime (see my sig).

Of those with droughts, I'd go with the Caps. The Sharks might get it... One of these years...

Guest Shoreline

I feel worst for the Bruins and Flyers -- they keep making it to the finals but not winning that one last series.

Given how the St. Louis Blues fans remind me of how Red Sox fans used to be, I want them to be cupless for a while. Their attitude and distaste for the Wings is nothing short of comedy gold.

Edited by Shoreline

I feel worst for the Bruins and Flyers -- they keep making it to the finals but not winning that one last series.

Thinking back to the 1989/90 Stanley Cup, as much as I was happy for a Smythe Division team to win (again), I believe I was pulling for Andy Moog to beat his former team (although there was something kinda awesome about Billy Ranford). I believe that they played the longest game in playoff history (like 3 OT's) during that series.

A bunch of those are potential contenders this season IMO: Vancouver, Washington, Boston, Philadelphia and even LA could prove to be a bit of a dark horse, especially if they acquire a playoff piece at the deadline.

Guest mindfly

Washington and Kings will win in the coming years and it's as certain as blackhawks and pittsburghs cup were, it's just a result of the post lockout nhl and current CBA...I would rather have a pretty strong team year after year instead of one-and-done-cup like chicagos was... get those top 1st/5th overall picks, have the best and skilled players on entry level deals and a few smart signings here and there, BINGO, a cup, congrats, Summer after cup = goodbye 3-8 players, hello no-depth, back to mediocracy/sucking.

Edited by mindfly

LA has about their best chance of breaking their drought this year, as I've ever seen them have. When Chicago died after winning Stanley, I believe the spirit of Stanley was reincarnated in this years Kings.

Unfortunate for them, the Winged Wheel seems to be headed to the same place.

I am making this bold Prediction, here and now.

If Detroit and the LA Kings meet in the playoffs, the winning team will go on to win the Stanley Cup.

LA has about their best chance of breaking their drought this year, as I've ever seen them have. When Chicago died after winning Stanley, I believe the spirit of Stanley was reincarnated in this years Kings.

Unfortunate for them, the Winged Wheel seems to be headed to the same place.

I am making this bold Prediction, here and now.

If Detroit and the LA Kings meet in the playoffs, the winning team will go on to win the Stanley Cup.

I disagree,Vancouver is better than the Kings,as is Philadelphia

Edited by ricky0034

What's interesting (or depressing if you like those teams) is if you expand this list of droughts beyond hockey. While some of the city's have had good success in other sports (LA - basketball, Boston - baseball/football, St. Louis - baseball/football) of those with 2-4 professional teams, a couple haven't excelled in any other sports for some time.

Toronto - MLB Blue Jays (92 + 93)

Buffalo - AFL Bills (64 + 65)

Washington - NFL Redskins 92, NBA Bullets (78)

I do not see The Kings winning a Cup this year unless they go get a quality Goaltender! If they pulled a Neimi type goalie, they may be able to run the table! Vancouver is possiblity this year, but I think it comes down to the first of April when the playoff brackets are introduced! First Round matchups are typically the toughest and usually makes or brakes a team!

Look at Philly and Montreal last year, knocked out 2 contenders int he first round (Washington/NJ) then Montreal KO'd Pittsburgh and Philly pulled off a stunning comeback in Boston!

It just seems like the first round matchups make or break a teams confidence as well as travel!

I think travek will hurt LA more than anything because lets say they lock up #1 in the West, they will likely have to travel east in the first two rounds, sure they will have home ice, but I think there will be more pressure on them to win at home and reduce their travel! Who knows, I may be just blowing smoke! :cool:

I do not see The Kings winning a Cup this year unless they go get a quality Goaltender! If they pulled a Neimi type goalie, they may be able to run the table!

You lose.

Niemi is not as good as LA's backup, Jonathan Bernier. Niemi is a backup goalie who played behind a stacked Hawks team and posted decent numbers. Now he is backing up in San Jose and is being exposed for what he is.

The Sharks must feel really lucky they picked up Niitymaki, given that he's been one of the league's top netminders this season. Almost makes that Niemi thing bearable.