• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MCleveland89

Wings sporting an ad-badged jersey

Rate this topic

Uggh... Why did it have to be "Scamway"? There are few business entities that I personally despise more than that company after it, through its Kingpins, basically sucked my parents dry financially. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Just this month Scamway settled the class action suit claiming that the business was a pyramid scheme. The key part:

These changes will address the claims made by plaintiffs that Amway/Quixtar placed too much emphasis on recruiting new IBOs and selling training manuals as opposed to the actual sales of products, reports The Press. A business model that relies on new investors or sellers as opposed to actual products or services is one of the classic indications of a pyramid scheme.
No kidding... Edited by Gizmo

and it begins

eurojersey.jpg

living in Switzerland, I speak from experience. The yellow jersey belongs to Davos Hockey Club and it prominently sports (pun intended) the biggest brewery in Switzerland plus the local bank etc etc.

My team played them last night (ZUG) and we beat them in OT.

I hate it hate it hate (not the win but the ads)

Edited by Spongewingredpants

I dont see a huge issue with a couple of ads, maybe don't agree with the company, but from a business perspective it makes sense.. As long as they never end up just being a collage of ads like some of the european teams. I mean theres already ads on the boards and now superimposed on the glass, I feel like it's only a matter of time before we see them on game jerseys.

As long as it stays on the practice jersey, I really don't have a problem with it.

Correct. Why all the outrage for the practice jersey? Since so many people buy the practice jerseys? Or go to their practices? This isn't even a major advertising standpoint as far as I'm concerned, outside the fact many press photos come from practice and that it is on the website. I hope I'm right when I say I highly doubt they're ever gonna put this on the real jerseys. And if it does happen, it's going to be an league wide thing. No way this franchise is going to compromise integrity before anyone else. At this point, I don't see it any different than there being companies on the back of college basketball student section tshirts. Anyone else?

Edited by Ram

At the risk of sounding cliche, we live in an overly commercialized society. There is, quite simply, no reason to put ads on jerseys. Sports are the most lucrative marketing business around. Ads on the boards, ads during commercials, ads every time there is a powerplay or a penalty shot or an overtime. There is simply no need to have advertising on the jerseys other than a pure money grab. I know it's a business, but the revenue generated from those jersey ads will not prevent a team from folding, will not make it possible to sign new players or improve the team in any way. It's just crass, greedy exploitation and it's distasteful.

EDIT: I wonder when we'll start selling adspace on newborn babies? Everyone is drawn to a baby, what better way to draw new clients?

Edited by VM1138

At the risk of sounding cliche, we live in an overly commercialized society. There is, quite simply, no reason to put ads on jerseys. Sports are the most lucrative marketing business around. Ads on the boards, ads during commercials, ads every time there is a powerplay or a penalty shot or an overtime. There is simply no need to have advertising on the jerseys other than a pure money grab. I know it's a business, but the revenue generated from those jersey ads will not prevent a team from folding, will not make it possible to sign new players or improve the team in any way. It's just crass, greedy exploitation and it's distasteful.

EDIT: I wonder when we'll start selling adspace on newborn babies? Everyone is drawn to a baby, what better way to draw new clients?

All new born babies will now be branded with the Amway logo...

It could work. You should copyright that idea before someone steals it. :ph34r:

living in Switzerland, I speak from experience. The yellow jersey belongs to Davos Hockey Club and it prominently sports (pun intended) the biggest brewery in Switzerland plus the local bank etc etc.

I was going to say, is that a picture of a 6-pack on his shorts? I'm ok with that :beerbuddy:

I'll draw the line when they start thanking sponsors during interviews like in NASCAR.

Agree. Though I think there is a possibility of a slippery slope, I think we're a long way from anything that is going to really bother me.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Businesses must grow to continue to succeed. A company that doesn't grow neglects the growth/development of it's employees.

Perhaps this is a little less important for a privately owned operation such as the wings. However, they are competing against publicly owned companies that have stockholders expecting not only growth, but profit growth without expansion. If the Red Wings ignore options being used by their competition, they lose potential profits that can benefit of the team.

Businesses must grow to continue to succeed. A company that doesn't grow neglects the growth/development of it's employees.

Perhaps this is a little less important for a privately owned operation such as the wings. However, they are competing against publicly owned companies that have stockholders expecting not only growth, but profit growth without expansion. If the Red Wings ignore options being used by their competition, they lose potential profits that can benefit of the team.

Then why haven't the Wings put a brand name on the Joe? Its an option that has been used by virtually every other team, why aren't the stockholders up in arms about the Wings lagging behind?