• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MCleveland89

Wings sporting an ad-badged jersey

Rate this topic

People are so fed up with commercials and constant advertising that they have to find new ways to hammer their message into our collective brains.

That being said, seeing a Red Wing jersey with a Scamway patch is not going to make me reconsider my feelings about that company.

I don't like it, it pisses me off, and it needs to stop.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Then why haven't the Wings put a brand name on the Joe? Its an option that has been used by virtually every other team, why aren't the stockholders up in arms about the Wings lagging behind?

There's a number of reasons for that...

The wing's don't own Joe Lewis, Detroit does.

It's named after Joe Lewis.

You own a fortune 500 company, do you want your company's name on a 31 yr old building w/ a shaky future?

im truly disappointed in my red wings this week first they announce there giving a f***in foreign car away(IN THE ******* MOTOR CITY) on april 3rd, and now they go and do this s***.

and if i hear "sam burstein" one more ******* time while watching the red wings im gunna kill someone. and is putting that ad on a practice jersey really gunna make someone want to go buy one of amways s***ty products? quite opposite imo i will no longer be buying anything amway.

Let's not forget the other new invention this year (maybe it was last year), the ads on the glass for TV viewers. It's coming to the game jersey, just wait and see....they are breaking it in slowly...maybe not the Red Wings at first, some other lame team will do it first, but it will happen.

im truly disappointed in my red wings this week first they announce there giving a f***in foreign car away(IN THE ******* MOTOR CITY) on april 3rd, and now they go and do this s***.

and if i hear "sam burstein" one more ******* time while watching the red wings im gunna kill someone. and is putting that ad on a practice jersey really gunna make someone want to go buy one of amways s***ty products? quite opposite imo i will no longer be buying anything amway.

A car being given away in "the motor city." I see nothing wrong with that. Stop being xenophobic.

I don't even notice the ad's on the glass. I couldn't even tell you one ad that was even put on the there. If they put that small of an ad on the jersey I won't even notice that also

Edited by Jwo

At the risk of sounding cliche, we live in an overly commercialized society. There is, quite simply, no reason to put ads on jerseys. Sports are the most lucrative marketing business around. Ads on the boards, ads during commercials, ads every time there is a powerplay or a penalty shot or an overtime. There is simply no need to have advertising on the jerseys other than a pure money grab. I know it's a business, but the revenue generated from those jersey ads will not prevent a team from folding, will not make it possible to sign new players or improve the team in any way. It's just crass, greedy exploitation and it's distasteful.

EDIT: I wonder when we'll start selling adspace on newborn babies? Everyone is drawn to a baby, what better way to draw new clients?

*Jots down this idea*

A car being given away in "the motor city." I see nothing wrong with that. Stop being xenophobic.

I don't even notice the ad's on the glass. I couldn't even tell you one ad that was even put on the there. If they put that small of an ad on the jersey I won't even notice that also

You think you won't, until it's 9pm one night 2nd Intermission and you can't understand why you suddenly crave Little Ceasar's for no damn reason.

Advertisements are designed to work through subliminal repetition. If you don't "Notice" them, it's often an indication that they're doing their job.

Someone offers you $500 to wear a shirt that says "Bob's Hockey Hut" while you take your afternoon walk a few times a week, wouldn't YOU take it? Why not? Amway is probably paying enough to offset the cost of the practice jerseys. That's just good business.

Practice jerseys are one thing, game day jerseys are another. I don't care if they put the big STOP signs on the back either.

Someone offers you $500 to wear a shirt that says "Bob's Hockey Hut" while you take your afternoon walk a few times a week, wouldn't YOU take it? Why not? Amway is probably paying enough to offset the cost of the practice jerseys. That's just good business.

Practice jerseys are one thing, game day jerseys are another. I don't care if they put the big STOP signs on the back either.

Bad analogy. I think people are more peaved by the company, not the ad patch itself.

Is it really worth alienating thousands of fans by putting the name of a pyramid scheme scam "company" that has screwed over thousands and thousands of hard working and well meaning folks over the decades, just to save a couple hundred on practice jerseys?

How is that being even remotely xenophobic. No one's saying don't buy a car from " 'dem 'der foreign people," the complaint is that giving away a US made car would show support for the local economy. You know, the region where the people live who buy game tickets. It will put off some people, and if you look at the comments on the Red Wings facebook page many people are being vocal against it. Will people stop going to Red Wings games over it? Probably not. However, so far it hasn't proven to be a very good PR move.

He hangs out with Chris Draper, Michael Samuelsson, and Bart Lebda.

nice :thumbup:

I bet the majority of that "foreign car" is made in the United States. The majority of the parts in Toyotas are made in the USA and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that my Ford has foreign parts in it.

I bet the majority of that "foreign car" is made in the United States. The majority of the parts in Toyotas are made in the USA and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that my Ford has foreign parts in it.

Let's not turn this thread into a foreign vs. domestic car debate. I'm willing to bet that the mix of foreign vs US made parts in both Toyotas and Fords are probably about the same.

He hangs out with Chris Draper, Michael Samuelsson, and Bart Lebda.

And he went to a Tieger's game with Mich Albomb, Nick Lindstrom, and Barrie Saunders.

I don't even like the virtual ads on the end glass (and I'm in sales!) On the one hand I can dismiss the jersey ads if it's just on practice jersey's; on the other hand the slippery slope theory keeps lurking right around the corner. The ad fest in European "Hokey" definitely diminishes the quality of the game experience for me.

Although I actually like the overwhelming advertising in NASCAR (it's a totally different culture and has heritage and roots in racing and I think it's part of the whole experience where as in hockey it is distracting from the experience), I too would really hate to see the NHL end up anywhere close to NASCAR.

Edited by T.Low

Advertisements are designed to work through subliminal repetition. If you don't "Notice" them, it's often an indication that they're doing their job.

The funny thing is, it's gotten to the point where I've consciously avoided products with which I've gotten so fed up with them shoving ads down my throat.

Edited by _Kabrok_

Although I actually like the overwhelming advertising in NASCAR (it's a totally different culture and has heritage and roots in racing and I think it's part of the whole experience where as in hockey it is distracting from the experience), I too would really hate to see the NHL end up anywhere close to NASCAR.

There's also a fundamental difference in the business model between a race car owner and the owner of a professional hockey team. The biggest being that the race car owner doesn't get any of the "gate" money directly. His car is shooting for a percentage of a total "purse" put up by the race promoter. The stands can be full, but if his driver is taken out by a first lap accident, his take home money can be quite small. Also, at the top levels of racing the purse (both series and race) isn't enough to cover a team's budget. AJ Foyt said that one of the Cardinal Rules of racing is "Never race with your own money!" It's the quickest way for a race team owner to go broke. The only way to field a competitive race team at the top levels of racing is to have a good sponsor.

As for the "virtual ads", I also wonder who profits from them... Olympia Entertainment or FSN???

Edited by Gizmo