Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

Of all the companies, it had to be Amway? Seriously? ******* Amway? :blink:

#22 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'll draw the line when they start thanking sponsors during interviews like in NASCAR.

Agree. Though I think there is a possibility of a slippery slope, I think we're a long way from anything that is going to really bother me.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#23 donfishmaster

donfishmaster

steviesteenie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

When the red lights goes off, it can illuminate the name of a different sponsor!
"That was a beautiful "Call Sam Bernstein" goal by Pavel Datsyuk!!!"

Then sell naming rights to the individual components of the game, like,
"This is a Belle Tire Power Play"

Hey, WHATTHE....????? :scared:

#24 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

At the risk of sounding cliche, we live in an overly commercialized society. There is, quite simply, no reason to put ads on jerseys. Sports are the most lucrative marketing business around. Ads on the boards, ads during commercials, ads every time there is a powerplay or a penalty shot or an overtime. There is simply no need to have advertising on the jerseys other than a pure money grab. I know it's a business, but the revenue generated from those jersey ads will not prevent a team from folding, will not make it possible to sign new players or improve the team in any way. It's just crass, greedy exploitation and it's distasteful.

EDIT: I wonder when we'll start selling adspace on newborn babies? Everyone is drawn to a baby, what better way to draw new clients?

Businesses must grow to continue to succeed. A company that doesn't grow neglects the growth/development of it's employees.

Perhaps this is a little less important for a privately owned operation such as the wings. However, they are competing against publicly owned companies that have stockholders expecting not only growth, but profit growth without expansion. If the Red Wings ignore options being used by their competition, they lose potential profits that can benefit of the team.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#25 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:41 PM

Businesses must grow to continue to succeed. A company that doesn't grow neglects the growth/development of it's employees.

Perhaps this is a little less important for a privately owned operation such as the wings. However, they are competing against publicly owned companies that have stockholders expecting not only growth, but profit growth without expansion. If the Red Wings ignore options being used by their competition, they lose potential profits that can benefit of the team.

Then why haven't the Wings put a brand name on the Joe? Its an option that has been used by virtually every other team, why aren't the stockholders up in arms about the Wings lagging behind?

#26 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

People are so fed up with commercials and constant advertising that they have to find new ways to hammer their message into our collective brains.
That being said, seeing a Red Wing jersey with a Scamway patch is not going to make me reconsider my feelings about that company.

I don't like it, it pisses me off, and it needs to stop.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#27 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

Of all the companies, it had to be Amway? Seriously? ******* Amway? :blink:

Well, I suppose it could be worse... It could have been Dianetics! :scared:
"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#28 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

slippery dippery doppery sloppery boppery ropily boo doo gwee borp

#29 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

SO what's the problem here? Ads on practice jerseys is nothing new. More revenue = good. Get it?
  • Ram likes this
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#30 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Then why haven't the Wings put a brand name on the Joe? Its an option that has been used by virtually every other team, why aren't the stockholders up in arms about the Wings lagging behind?

There's a number of reasons for that...

The wing's don't own Joe Lewis, Detroit does.
It's named after Joe Lewis.
You own a fortune 500 company, do you want your company's name on a 31 yr old building w/ a shaky future?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#31 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

There's a number of reasons for that...

The wing's don't own Joe Lewis, Detroit does.
It's named after Joe Lewis.
You own a fortune 500 company, do you want your company's name on a 31 yr old building w/ a shaky future?

Who in the f*** is Joe Lewis?

Posted Image

#32 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

I don't really care about practice jerseys.

If I see a McDonalds logo on a jersey during an actual game though I will be pretty pissed off.

#33 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Who is Joe Lewis?

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#34 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

im truly disappointed in my red wings this week first they announce there giving a f***in foreign car away(IN THEf****** MOTOR CITY) on april 3rd, and now they go and do this s***.

and if i hear "sam burstein" one moref****** time while watching the red wings im gunna kill someone. and is putting that ad on a practice jersey really gunna make someone want to go buy one of amways s***ty products? quite opposite imo i will no longer be buying anything amway.
  • Ram likes this

#35 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Let's not forget the other new invention this year (maybe it was last year), the ads on the glass for TV viewers. It's coming to the game jersey, just wait and see....they are breaking it in slowly...maybe not the Red Wings at first, some other lame team will do it first, but it will happen.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#36 ChitownWingsfan

ChitownWingsfan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

My feelings on the subject

So hate on but guess what, I feel like I can't miss,
I know they want me to fall, But ain't nothin' bigger than this, So just pass me the ball

Posted Image
No Further Trades Needed

#37 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

im truly disappointed in my red wings this week first they announce there giving a f***in foreign car away(IN THEf****** MOTOR CITY) on april 3rd, and now they go and do this s***.

and if i hear "sam burstein" one moref****** time while watching the red wings im gunna kill someone. and is putting that ad on a practice jersey really gunna make someone want to go buy one of amways s***ty products? quite opposite imo i will no longer be buying anything amway.

A car being given away in "the motor city." I see nothing wrong with that. Stop being xenophobic.

I don't even notice the ad's on the glass. I couldn't even tell you one ad that was even put on the there. If they put that small of an ad on the jersey I won't even notice that also

Edited by Jwo, 18 November 2010 - 12:21 AM.

FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#38 truebladearmy

truebladearmy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:43 AM

At the risk of sounding cliche, we live in an overly commercialized society. There is, quite simply, no reason to put ads on jerseys. Sports are the most lucrative marketing business around. Ads on the boards, ads during commercials, ads every time there is a powerplay or a penalty shot or an overtime. There is simply no need to have advertising on the jerseys other than a pure money grab. I know it's a business, but the revenue generated from those jersey ads will not prevent a team from folding, will not make it possible to sign new players or improve the team in any way. It's just crass, greedy exploitation and it's distasteful.

EDIT: I wonder when we'll start selling adspace on newborn babies? Everyone is drawn to a baby, what better way to draw new clients?

*Jots down this idea*

A car being given away in "the motor city." I see nothing wrong with that. Stop being xenophobic.

I don't even notice the ad's on the glass. I couldn't even tell you one ad that was even put on the there. If they put that small of an ad on the jersey I won't even notice that also

You think you won't, until it's 9pm one night 2nd Intermission and you can't understand why you suddenly crave Little Ceasar's for no damn reason.

Advertisements are designed to work through subliminal repetition. If you don't "Notice" them, it's often an indication that they're doing their job.

#39 One4TheWings

One4TheWings

"dc"

• Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

Someone offers you $500 to wear a shirt that says "Bob's Hockey Hut" while you take your afternoon walk a few times a week, wouldn't YOU take it? Why not? Amway is probably paying enough to offset the cost of the practice jerseys. That's just good business.

Practice jerseys are one thing, game day jerseys are another. I don't care if they put the big STOP signs on the back either.
4G1V3N

#40 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

Someone offers you $500 to wear a shirt that says "Bob's Hockey Hut" while you take your afternoon walk a few times a week, wouldn't YOU take it? Why not? Amway is probably paying enough to offset the cost of the practice jerseys. That's just good business.

Practice jerseys are one thing, game day jerseys are another. I don't care if they put the big STOP signs on the back either.

Bad analogy. I think people are more peaved by the company, not the ad patch itself.

Is it really worth alienating thousands of fans by putting the name of a pyramid scheme scam "company" that has screwed over thousands and thousands of hard working and well meaning folks over the decades, just to save a couple hundred on practice jerseys?