• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Calgary/Carolina trade

Rate this topic

Calgary, AB – The Calgary Flames announced today the acquisition of defenseman Anton Babchuk and right winger Tom Kostopoulos from the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for defenseman Ian White and left winger Brett Sutter.

Babchuk, a native of Kiev, Ukraine, has 185 games of NHL experience with Chicago and Carolina. He has 26 career goals along with 43 assists for 69 points and 82 penalty minutes. Originally a 1st round pick (21st overall) by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, Babchuk was traded to Carolina on January 20, 2006. In 17 games this season, he has three goals, five assists for eight points and 12 penalty minutes.

We may need a merging here ;)

How do you think that call went?

Phone rings.

Brett Sutter: Oh hey dad, just got to Abbotsford, what's up.

Darryl Sutter: Hey son, you and your 1st cousin Brandon are pretty close huh.

Brett Sutter: ya dad we sure are.

Darryl Sutter: we'll you're going to be spending some more time with him. we've just traded you to Carolina.

Brett Sutter: thanks dad.

Now if the other two dumb Sutter farm boys leave Calgary that franchise may have a chance to turn things around.

Problem is that would still leave a bunch of Sutter's in the organization.

Brent - Head Coach

Brian - Director of pro personnel for the Calgary Flames organization

Darryl - GM

Duane - Director of player personnel for the Calgary Flames organization

Ron - Scout.

Sutter's have quite the fiefdom over in Cow town.

Calgary should just trade Iginla now. Poor bastard is getting a raw deal here in town, and this trade tells me they arent trying to get better. Free up some money sure, but they arent rebuilding yet (even though they should be haha), makes no sense.

Sutters, definately know whats going on..

Guest Stolberg

Kostopolous sucks, Sutter has more potential and is better now.

Babchuk is a good PP guy but White is the better defenseman

Seems like Calgary got the worst of this one

white hasn't been a much better defenseman this year if at all

Trading your own son. It's business not personal.

It seems more personal than business to me... don't you generally want to do what's best for your kids?

Better weather and less travel as they are in the EC, plus he gets out of a poorly run organization... seems to me like he just wanted what was best for him :ph34r:

It seems more personal than business to me... don't you generally want to do what's best for your kids?

Better weather and less travel as they are in the EC, plus he gets out of a poorly run organization... seems to me like he just wanted what was best for him :ph34r:

the other aspect is that it gets him out of his dads shadow. every time brett has had success and gets moved up, people wonder if its nepotism or not. i think its best for his career to get away from that and be able to prove himself and get on an nhl roster full time. though if he and cousin brandon are both with the canes, how would they do the names on the jersey? would have to include at least 3 letters of the first name.

though also it should be noted that his dad probably won't be around in calgary much longer either. so he probably could have stayed.