• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Kings pursuing Iginla?

Rate this topic

From Bleacherreport -

Numerous rumors are circulating that it’s just a matter of time before Calgary Flames forward Jarome Iginla is traded.

Given Iginla’s sub-par performance last season and subsequent slow start to the 2010-11 season, I can understand the Flames wanting to shop Iggy, but with three years left on his contract at a cap hit of $7 million, does any NHL team really want his services?

Complicating matters is the fact that Iginla owns a no-movement clause. That said, Iginla does not strike me as the kind of player that wants to remain in the fold if he is not wanted, so I do not foresee that NMC being an issue.

Elliotte Friedman of CBC Sports wrote earlier in the month that Iginla would agree to a trade, but only if the Flames make it public that any move is the team’s choice, not his.

Needless to say, given his struggles of late, there are only a handful of teams out there that would want to take a chance on Iginla—especially in light of his huge salary.

As it stands right now (all numbers courtesy of www.capgeek.com) there are only 11 teams with enough cap room to pull off a deal for Iginla, but with a little maneuvering, anything is possible.

Fact is, as good as Iginla has been in the past, there are very few teams out there that would be willing to take a chance on Iggy, but there are a few teams that stand out in my mind.

The Los Angeles Kings are off to a terrific start, but they could still benefit from the services of a Jarome Iginla, and they have the assets to part with that could get a deal done with Calgary.

Adding Iggy to the Kings lineup would bring Los Angeles a little star power and offensive punch, as well as adding an element of leadership to a team that could use a playoff-experienced veteran.

As much as Calgary wants to believe that they are close, I would suggest that a couple of prospects and one roster player gets this deal done. No way Los Angeles gives up any more than that, not with Iggy’s cap hit.

So what would the Flames want in return?

Defensive prospects Tomas Hickey and Colten Teubert’s names are bound to come up, as are forwards Brayden Schenn and Andrei Loktionov. As for roster players—Wayne Simmonds comes to mind, but outside of him I am not so sure the Kings would be willing to part with any other regulars.

I cannot see the Kings offering up Dustin Brown and I am pretty sure they like their defense “as is.”

In order to make the cap hit work, Los Angeles may entertain moving Jarret Stoll or Matt Greene, but I am not so sure Calgary would be willing to accept either player in a trade.

Other teams that would be interested in Iginla?

Well, you’ll hear the Toronto Maple Leafs pop up in rumor mills, but I just can’t see that happening.

The Pittsburgh Penguins could use Iginla’s services, but with little in way of prospects to offer up and with the team up near the cap limit, it would seem as if adding Iggy would be all but impossible unless the Flames are willing to take a player of similar cap hit in return.

The New York Rangers are said to be interested, as are the Ottawa Senators, but I just cannot see a fit with either team.

Where would I like to see Iginla end up?

I would love to see Iggy land in Tampa Bay, but again, that’s not likely to happen.

Another great fit would be Washington, can’t see that happening either...

Fact is, it’s very difficult to pull off trades in the NHL these days, especially in light of the salary-cap considerations.

More likely Iginla is forced to play out another 20-30 games before anything happens. That said, unless things turn around for Iggy, you can expect these rumors to persist—for better or for worse.

Until next time,

Peace!

Well, you’ll hear the Toronto Maple Leafs pop up in rumor mills, but I just can’t see that happening.

Oh you can bet Burke will say something, and I'll laugh like when I heard him talking about getting Nash, Tavares, Richards, Thornton, Marleau, etc. on the Leafs.

Seriously who or what do the Leafs have they can trade to Calgary for Iginla without killing their long term plans for another 5 years? They don't have a first round pick until 2012. The Flames would want Schenn and Kadri.

Oh you can bet Burke will say something, and I'll laugh like when I heard him talking about getting Nash, Tavares, Richards, Thornton, Marleau, etc. on the Leafs.

Seriously who or what do the Leafs have they can trade to Calgary for Iginla without killing their long term plans for another 5 years? They don't have a first round pick until 2012. The Flames would want Schenn and Kadri.

That hasn't stopped them from making bonehead moves before.

If the Kings think that they are cup contenders this year, then why not try for Iginla to push them over the top. I'm not sure what Calgary would demand for Iggy, but Schenn, Loktionov, and a high pick would probably do it. Schenn has very high potential, and could develop into a very good player, while Loktionov is like a little Datsyuk, the sky is the limit for him, but he is just another small, skilled Russian. Do the Kings have the cap space to make this work? I think so.

Would definitely be an interesting trade, and one of the biggest trades to happen in the NHL since the Hossa to Pittsburgh deal.

If the Kings think that they are cup contenders this year, then why not try for Iginla to push them over the top. I'm not sure what Calgary would demand for Iggy, but Schenn, Loktionov, and a high pick would probably do it. Schenn has very high potential, and could develop into a very good player, while Loktionov is like a little Datsyuk, the sky is the limit for him, but he is just another small, skilled Russian. Do the Kings have the cap space to make this work? I think so.

Would definitely be an interesting trade, and one of the biggest trades to happen in the NHL since the Hossa to Pittsburgh deal.

Wonder if they'll ask for Wayne Simmonds.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

They could do the deal right now without shedding any players for cap space. But, they have Doughty, J. Johnson, Simmonds, on expiring RFA contracts, and Handzus, Ponikarovsky, and Justin Williams all becoming UFA's. I'm thinking they would like to hang on to most of those players, and the $7million anchor that is Iginla, would only move them backwards. If it was Iggy of 2 years ago, I would say, " yeah, it'll happen ", but right now, I can't see anyone taking on that cap hit for 2 more years the way he has played the last 2 years.

3 years at 7 million for Iginla? Ouch. I really don't see any team desperate enough to make this trade unless Calgary gets something in return they can't resist...

exactly.

I think it'd be good for Iggy to get out of Calgary, but with that cap hit, I don't think the Kings are stupid enough to take him on.

What kind of cap room do the Isles have? :P

The Kings could definitely pull it off. The question is, would they? Quite a few of their players are having good years. If could somehow work in sending Handzus the other way, it'd be worth it, but they'd also have to ship off some young talent.

They're also pretty set in terms of the right wing, although I could see them moving Brown back over to the LW if Iginla came over. The lines would be pretty solid. Assuming they give up Handzus, Loktionov/Schenn & Hickey/Teubert:

Brown-Kopitar-Iginla

Smyth-Stoll-Williams

Poni-Richardson-Simmonds

Clifford-Schenn/Lok-Westgarth

Pretty good depth.

Be funny to see Iginla and Ryan Smyth on the same teams. Would really show how far the Oilers and Flames have fallen..

Hope he gets out of Calgary though, even though he's a bonehead sometimes, Jaromes a great person who doesnt deserve what the fans give him.

Say what you want about him blowing gaskets from time to time, heck we saw it a few seasons ago in the playoffs against us, I'd take him in a heartbeat if the timing/salary was right.

Not producing like he used to, but he still plays with a lot of emotion and intensity and would be great for a support scoring role here on a 2nd/3rd line where he isn't the main guy being counted on.

His current price tag though is pretty hefty.

The guy is not in decline he is on a s***ty team that always has problems scoring yet he is a yearly 30+ goal scorer. In Calgary he never has anyone good to play with. Iggy, on a good team, would find new life and be appreciated! Iginla deserves to be traded to a good team... man I wish that team was in Detroit, he'd be an incredible red Wing!

Edited by The Secret

This could be a good thing for the NHL.

A black superstar hockey player in one of America's major cities. Also, LA has a good team that may challenge for the West.

Obviously, Iginla isn't getting any younger, but from a marketing standpoint, the NHL would love to see him leave Calgary.

This could be a good thing for the NHL.

A black superstar hockey player in one of America's major cities. Also, LA has a good team that may challenge for the West.

Obviously, Iginla isn't getting any younger, but from a marketing standpoint, the NHL would love to see him leave Calgary.

it would be great for marketing...too bad it won't happen because they put that damn salary cap in <_<

Would be pretty cool to see Iginla go to LA. Anze and Jerome on the same line could be pretty sick.

It would be. I hope they don't do it though, actually, because the Kings are a good young team right now, and I'd hate to see what they'd give up to bring in Iginla, and at $7 mill a year until 2013.