• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingsfan72

Ritola suspended

Rate this topic

I guess it's in a reasonable range. The thing is, you could find suspensions to compare it to that would make it seem too long, and others that would make it seem too short.

I don't even try anymore to guess at suspensions. The NHL really needs to work on this.

it was a 2 min charge, i can't believe he got 2 games

Agreed. He left his feet and made head contact, but Moulson completely turned his numbers towards him after he committed to the hit. Players trying to kill themselves to draw a ******* penalty.

Wonder what Ritolla did to Colin's son that he deserves 2 games?

I have no problem with the suspension for the pure fact that when you see the players number and have a full stride to pull up - you HAVE to give up that hit, those hits do not belong in the game and are incredibly dangerous...

With that said, I've made the point on this board several times before, but developmental hockey has GOT to do something about teaching players how to take hits and to STOP from turning their backs to checks - Take your licks like a man and get close to the boards (not ON the boards, but close) and turn INTO your check, even initiating contact when possible... you will be more protected and will also take less brunt of the hit due to the absorption of the initiation... this is how the game is SUPPOSE to be played...

I think the NHL needs to take a proactive step against the increasing trend and almost initiate some sort of an unsportsmanlike minor for players that turn their backs, specifically to avoid a check... I know it's kinda an insult to injury situation when a player gets hurt on the play, but they've GOT to make this go away, it is a bad habit and a poor example for youth players and is going to eventually result in someone getting SEVERELY injured, or worse...

I have no problem with the suspension for the pure fact that when you see the players number and have a full stride to pull up - you HAVE to give up that hit, those hits do not belong in the game and are incredibly dangerous...

With that said, I've made the point on this board several times before, but developmental hockey has GOT to do something about teaching players how to take hits and to STOP from turning their backs to checks - Take your licks like a man and get close to the boards (not ON the boards, but close) and turn INTO your check, even initiating contact when possible... you will be more protected and will also take less brunt of the hit due to the absorption of the initiation... this is how the game is SUPPOSE to be played...

I think the NHL needs to take a proactive step against the increasing trend and almost initiate some sort of an unsportsmanlike minor for players that turn their backs, specifically to avoid a check... I know it's kinda an insult to injury situation when a player gets hurt on the play, but they've GOT to make this go away, it is a bad habit and a poor example for youth players and is going to eventually result in someone getting SEVERELY injured, or worse...

That's stupid. Moulson skated toward the boards to play the puck, he didn't turn his back to avoid anything.

It's like some people are so worried about hitting being taken out of the game, they would rather see hockey taken out of the game. Every hit seems to get some variant of 'keep your head up' response, as if protecting themselves from illegal hits should be the highest priority for players.

Personally, I like hockey more than demolition derby. Making a play sometimes leaves a player vulnerable. Players should be allowed to do things like play the puck, receive a pass, or take a shot without fear of someone taking their head off because of it.

No one ever makes mistakes......

Nah I dont really thinks its that classless and he doesnt have a history but I do think its funny that people on this board are trying to defend him saying it wasnt that bad and stuff.

I wonder if Jordin Tootoo did that to Datsyuk what this board would be saying

That's stupid. Moulson skated toward the boards to play the puck, he didn't turn his back to avoid anything.

It's like some people are so worried about hitting being taken out of the game, they would rather see hockey taken out of the game. Every hit seems to get some variant of 'keep your head up' response, as if protecting themselves from illegal hits should be the highest priority for players.

Personally, I like hockey more than demolition derby. Making a play sometimes leaves a player vulnerable. Players should be allowed to do things like play the puck, receive a pass, or take a shot without fear of someone taking their head off because of it.

It's stupid to teach kids and professionals to protect themselves?

ok. :rolleyes:

Edited by stevkrause

It's stupid to teach kids and professionals to protect themselves?

ok. :rolleyes:

What should have Moulson done differently? Taken a wide route to the puck and come in sideways? Cause someone else would have gotten there first. He didn't turn at the last second, his back was showing the entire time and Riloa laid him out from behind, and jumped as well connecting with the back of his head. If thats not a suspendable offence I don't know what is.

What should have Moulson done differently? Taken a wide route to the puck and come in sideways? Cause someone else would have gotten there first. He didn't turn at the last second, his back was showing the entire time and Riloa laid him out from behind, and jumped as well connecting with the back of his head. If thats not a suspendable offence I don't know what is.

If you read my original post, I said that Ritola should have been suspended and I wasn't saying that Moulson was as guilty as a lot of players are of putting themselves in danger by turning away from a check... but, yes, he should have come in at the puck at an angle... the fact is, that Ritola SHOULD have given up the hit and SHOULD have been suspended, but that doesn't mean that Moulson couldn't have prevented himself from being hurt...

Even the fault on this one was 90/10 (90 Ritola, 10 Moulson) - the point I was making, was that this is an overall increasing trend and needs to be corrected, for the more frequent 50/50 fault cases.

Guest Heaten

2 minute charging. Good call on the penalty. Ritola's gotta keep his skates on the ice. If this is going to be the template of what a 2 game suspension is going to be, then the league better damn call 2 game suspensions against any player that makes a similar type of hit, regardless the name on the back of the jersey.

That's the problem that I have, will the league call the same suspension on Crosby if an awkward play like this happens by him? I doubt it.

Edited by Heaten

2 minute charging. Good call on the penalty. Ritola's gotta keep his skates on the ice. If this is going to be the template of what a 2 game suspension is going to be, then the league better damn call 2 game suspensions against any player that makes a similar type of hit, regardless the name on the back of the jersey.

That's the problem that I have, will the league call the same suspension on Crosby if an awkward play like this happens by him? I doubt it.

The consistency of discipline is really a joke... that is another major problem that needs to be addressed...

I've always love this, I laugh uncontrollably every time I see it:

4093950458_03e4645497_o.gif

If you read my original post, I said that Ritola should have been suspended and I wasn't saying that Moulson was as guilty as a lot of players are of putting themselves in danger by turning away from a check... but, yes, he should have come in at the puck at an angle... the fact is, that Ritola SHOULD have given up the hit and SHOULD have been suspended, but that doesn't mean that Moulson couldn't have prevented himself from being hurt...

Even the fault on this one was 90/10 (90 Ritola, 10 Moulson) - the point I was making, was that this is an overall increasing trend and needs to be corrected, for the more frequent 50/50 fault cases.

Didn't read your initial post very carefully. I pretty much agree with your assesment, i don't think Moulson really had that option of protecting himself in this case tho without just letting a Tampa player get the puck. Just tired of all the blame being put on the guy getting creamed into the boards these days.

Didn't read your initial post very carefully. I pretty much agree with your assesment, i don't think Moulson really had that option of protecting himself in this case tho without just letting a Tampa player get the puck. Just tired of all the blame being put on the guy getting creamed into the boards these days.

for sure, like I said, if you see a players numbers, you give up the hit. period. So, regardless of if a player turns his back into it or not, those are hits that should NEVER be thrown... but the point I was making, is that players need to be taught from a young age to protect themselves better as well...