• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

11/21 GDT: Flames 4 at Red Wings 5 (OT)

Rate this topic

What happened to him? I came in late, and that may explain my wondering why I never saw him on the ice in the 3rd.

Skated hard into the offensive zone corner, and got checked pretty hard. Clean hit, looks like Cleary went in hard and hit awkward on his shoulder.

the reffing was obviously one sided, it doesn't take a homer to figure that out. but the flames were brutal for giving up a 2 goal 3rd period lead. neither the flames or the refs should be excused.

i dont know what it is but the red wings at home seem to get the benefit of the calls (stats and hard numbers dont lie). its really frustating

i dont know what it is but the red wings at home seem to get the benefit of the calls (stats and hard numbers dont lie) its really frustating

Frustrating only if you draw a stupid conclusion from those stats and numbers. The Wings have a noted advantage in power plays at home, now why would that be? Is there some secret cabal in place to ensure the fans at the Joe are happy? Or maybe, the Wings are very good, and especially with the benefit of getting their desired match ups at home they can draw a lot of penalties with their skill.

As one of the more reasonable Calgary fans pointed out, we're a puck possession team, and teams that have the puck a majority of the time tend to draw more calls. Is it really that hard for Flames fans to understand? Probably not, it's just a good excuse for them to get all emo and curse a team that every other fanbase loves to hate, instead of coming to the realization that winning teams don't let the opposition's best forward squirt through two defenders, make a perfect pass to the second best forward, and cough up the tying goal in the dying seconds of the third period.

Just got back from the game.

The Flames out-hustled the Wings for 45 of the first 60 minutes, BUT, the Wings were indeed the better puck-handling team, and the Flames took a lot of legitimate penalties to try to slow the Wings down.

We were very, Very, VERY lucky to pull this out, of course, but they kind of had the look like they would turn it on whenever they really needed to. I don't think letting it get down to the last 3.2 seconds of the game is a wise endeavour in the future, however.

I hope Babcock rips them a new one for the utterly, completely uninspired play they exhibited for 45 minutes.

Oh, and Iginla's a crud-ball!

Could of sworn they won the cup in 1988-89 and Vernon was the tender

they did. but it was more than 20 years ago. (only slightly obviously) the point being that since that cup win, the only success they have had is the 04 run. i believe that is the only year they have won a playoff series since then. its not exactly the chicago cubs or anything, but not winning a playoff series in 19 of the last 20 seasons is pretty futile.

I have to say that I'm a little concerned about this pattern or road that the Wings are on right now. They're winning but they're also pushing their luck as they perform further and further away from a solid 60 minute game.

From the Flames board...at least a hockey fan decided to run the numbers (I didn't verify the numbers, but anything that goes in Detroit favor has to be correct :unsure: :

Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!!

Just to add fuel to the fire...

For the 2010/2011 Season

Detroit seems to be just like any other team when on the road.

Minor Penalties when Detroit is the road team

Home: 30

Detroit: 30

Away teams seem to take a few penalties more than the home team in the Joe.

When in Detroit

Away: 49

Detroit: 42

When the game goes to OT, or when the Wings are trailing by a goal in the 3rd period

Non-Wings: 12

Wings: 5

Total games in which the Wings take more penalties than the other team: 5 out of 18

Home games in which the Wings have taken more penalties than the other team: 3 out of 12

Just puttin' the numbers out there. Not saying they mean much.

If you were a Calgary fan, statistics don't exactly go in your favor :) It's easier to blame the referee's blindly.

Wings are always:

In the Refs pockets

Too Old

Out of gas

A dirty team

Boring style of Hockey

Aliens

Hyped up on Dope

Dragons, who have assumed the shape of humans, to win the Cup and return it to their dragon lairs.

If I was a dick version of Babcock, in my press conference I would say,

"Well, we don't really turn it onto until the last 5 minutes. That's all we need to play. 5 Minutes. We find it only fair that we let our opposition run the show for the first 45-55 minutes. Ya know. So they have a chance."

It would totally be a Mohammad Ali move of the new era :)

But yeah, on topic, the Refs have seemed a little in our favor lately. I don't want to admit it any more than the next guy, but *shrug*

I've always conspired that the Ref's have secret meetings before games, to decide which way to call it. But then you end up with situations where the winning team pisses off the other team, the other team gets chippy, and often they just bring it on themselves.

I don't "honestly" believe there is a conspiracy. From my experience just playing recreational, where the Referee's are just volunteers, it tends to go that way in any hockey game. Reffing can have an influence in the outcome of the game/series. However, a lot of times Referee's are in a bind. They can't call EVERYTHING. They're suppose to call relatively evenly. But some things MUST be called.

The fact that the Wings had 4 PP's in the first, was a bit heavy in Detroit's favor, but the third period was called relatively well. That said, it looks bad, but Detroit has made like.....every team get frustrated and chippy in the third period. Is it the Ref's fault that they called 4-0 Wings favor in the first? Yeah. I say it is. But it's Calgary's fault they pulled what they pulled in the third.

I will give Calgary fans this:

The initial 1st period penalty flurry was a bit odd. It could have cost Calgary the game easily. It did not, however.

Most of the third period penalties were pretty genuine, however. And Calgary did that to themselves.

Edited by truebladearmy

It would totally be a Mohammad Ali move of the new era :)

"We're the Red Wings. We're skilled, we're strong, we're experienced, we're pretty and can't possibly be beat!

If any team even dreams of beating us they better wake up and apologize."

This is the stupidest stat of all-time: When the game goes to OT, or when the Wings are trailing by a goal in the 3rd period

Non-Wings: 12

Wings: 5

I'd like to see the stats when the Wings are leading by one in the 3rd. If the Wings take more penalties then it clearly shows that the Refs favor the other team.

Red Wings:

Home Games Played: 12

Times Short handed: 42

Average Times Short Handed: 3.5

Away Games Played: 6

TSH: 29

ATSH: 4.83

Away Teams:

At The Joe: 12

TSH: 51

ATSH: 4.25

Away Teams Home Arena:6

TSH:32

ATSH: 5.33

Wings on average just take less penalties than other teams. Other teams need to get over it. Plus, there are fewer penalties called at the Joe as a whole.

Red Wings:

Home Games Played: 12

Times Short handed: 42

Average Times Short Handed: 3.5

Away Games Played: 6

TSH: 29

ATSH: 4.83

Away Teams:

At The Joe: 12

TSH: 51

ATSH: 4.25

Away Teams Home Arena:6

TSH:32

ATSH: 5.33

Wings on average just take less penalties than other teams. Other teams need to get over it. Plus, there are fewer penalties called at the Joe as a whole.

Detroit's puck possession style leads to more penalties being taken by the other team.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Guest Heaten

What a great win by DRWs!!!

Howard said in the pre-game that they are not playing to their full ability, but are finding ways to win. I think it's about time for them to start playing to their full abilities, because these games are about to make my head explode. They need to get out of the bad habit of only playing 5 minutes a game. Full 60 minutes, please.

Guest Heaten

Calgary fan wrote:

Win or lose I'm proud of the Flames, if the ref's weren't such a damn joke this would have been a blowout for the good guys.

I seriously hope each and every one of them gets hit by the damn Flames bus leaving the arena. What a joke.

another wrote something about "lucky I don't have firearms in my house right now".

Whoa, it's just a regular season game... :o