• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

Flames Fans Blame Refs

Rate this topic

Jay Bouwmeester often speaks barely above a whisper, but he was loud and clear Sunday.

The normally soft-spoken Calgary Flames blueliner was irate over the penalty called on him in the final minutes which led to Detroit's tying goal with 3.2 seconds left in regulation and eventual 5-4 overtime victory Sunday night.

"It was a rebound and the guy's going to the net, so I lift his stick and he f---ing falls down and (the referee) calls a f---ing penalty," Bouwmeester said. "It was terrible, in my opinion.

"I don't want to say any more because I don't want to get fined, but it's mind-boggling to me."

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/myflames/2010/11/21/16251461.html

If they have any case at all it's the call against Bouwemeester. Late in the 3rd with a one goal lead, the puck rebounding toward abby and he's just supposed to stand there and let him have it? D-men make that play all the time in front of their net and it's not called. I'd be pissed too. All the other calls looked fine though.

esteef

To me Bouwemeester didn't just lift Abdelkader's stick as he was going to the net. He impeded his progress and dumped him in the progress while Abdelkader didn't even touch the puck. That's interference. That being said, that play does go uncalled a lot of times by the net - especially that late in a game. However, timing of the game isn't really an excuse to not make a call. Just because most often to not calls dont get made at certain junctures of a game doesnt mean people should be so up in arms when refs actually do make a call at that time.

The one call I think was weak was the Hagman slash while the Flames were on the 4 minute powerplay. To me that was a make up call because with the Wings down 4-2 Bertuzzi gets a holding call + an additional 2(which at the time I thought was weak because he was side stepping a hit and the player he 'held' didn't even have the pick and then he gets an unsportsmanlike for mouthing off on top of that which seemed unneccesary). Again, we see weak make up calls go both ways all year long. I personally dont like them but it's what happens all the time so you learn to live with it.

I love how all the Flame fans are complaining about these calls, when they're about as legit as it gets. Stajan's bear-hug of Filppula and then Bouwmeester's interference of Kader when he didn't have the puck are penalties - no doubt. I could easily imagine that if Detroit players did the exact same thing to Calgary and WEREN'T called, CalgaryPuck would explode.

To me, they were pretty much fine until Iginla blew up. When players see their captain lose it, they generally follow suit. I'm not taking anything away from him as a player, as notching 3 points speaks for itself, but the guy really has some temper issues. Detroit keeps its composure consistently, and they're lead by a captain who exudes patience. I don't think it's an coincidence that they're such a successful team. Just my take.

I don't understand why they blame the officiating for that loss ? Wings basically handed them 2 goals because of Raf's mistakes, if he doesn't make them the Wings win anyways. Its just too easy to point to the officiating for the loss, I mean the Leafs do it all the time, or blame Ron Wilson for the teams lack of effort.. its a joke. They had equal PP opportunitues (I think ?) and they had 4 minutes to go ahead with another goal in the 3rd. I posted it already in some other post, Wings take less penalties than anyone in the league right now, but are also granted the least amount of penalties out of any team.. so how is it Wings are loved by the Refs ?

That's two games in one night Calgary fans were complaining about officiating then. Earlier they were complaining about the refs in the Canadian Football (CFL) Western Conference Final, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Calgary Stampeders, game. Even some of the Calgary players were whining!

Saskatchewan won 20-16, two close calls went Saskatchewan's way, and Calgary was called for a lot of penalties in the game, starting a Calgary pity party cry baby fest by fans and players. One of the Calgary players accused the CFL of getting their wish, Saskatchewan (the team the gets the best TV ratings) is in the final.

My response seeing two of my favorite teams beat Calgary yesterday is, "Eat it!" :lol: At this moment, my most satisfying wins, other than winning a big playoff game (which one of them was yesterday), are against Calgary.

...while officiating has sucked throughout the league, here's the real reason the Flames lost the game, watch their beloved All-Star #12, what the hell was he doing? He never even looked behind him him and didnt even try to catch Lids.

...oh and heres another reason, you have 6 seconds left and you LET Datsyuk skate right between you and fellow Flame? Trip the guy, grab the guy, punch the guy, tackle the guy, do what you have to do to stop him from gaining the zone. WHats the ref gonna do call another penalty on your team? Even if he does whoopee fricking doo, there's 6 seconds left and you have a one goal lead!!!!! How about instead of blaming other people for your shortcomings, THINK for once!!!

I realize it IS Pavel Datsyuk and he is hard to handle, but instead of #18 trying to swipe at the puck, TRIP THE GUY!! There are such things as GOOD penalties!!!

Guest scottj

For anybody wondering why all of a sudden complaints about penalties at the Joe are more common... It's because of Selanne whining after he got a boo boo :(

Edited by scottj

Why are you all surprised the Flames fans are blaming the Refs? What are they going to do, admit to themselves that they have a subpar team that will be lucky to be anywhere near .500 come the end of the season? They will lose against the Rangers next and there will be a whole new Ref/player/someone other than the team bashing thread up.. no worries.

I noticed this when I was watching the highlights, who is that idiot that keeps lifting his kid up in the air when the Wings score? Talk about unsafe...

About the penalties, we've had to put up for years killing off penalties late in games with a one goal lead. It's about time we got a PP with less than two minutes left.

Edited by Barrie

...while officiating has sucked throughout the league, here's the real reason the Flames lost the game, watch their beloved All-Star #12, what the hell was he doing? He never even looked behind him him and didnt even try to catch Lids.

Just goes to show you that Iginla is a true hockey fan... he was enjoying the play so much he forgot he was in it.

Not really. Most of us are able to look through our Red Wings colored glasses and recognize a penalty when there is one.

It seems to me when there's a terrible penalty against us we magnify it greatly, meanwhile Calgary fans don't even bother looking at the actual penalties, they just throw their arms up and claim we get all the calls. I remember our last game with them that's all they bitched about was us getting all the calls after we won, when all you have to do is look up the box score and see that they had 6 to our 5 powerplays and couldn't even get a goal in those 6 opportunities.

Guest scottj

I remember our last game with them that's all they bitched about was us getting all the calls after we won, when all you have to do is look up the box score and see that they had 6 to our 5 powerplays and couldn't even get a goal in those 6 opportunities.

BUT DEH WINGZ GET EM AT THA BEST TIMESS! LIKE THE LAST COUPLE MINUTES!!! EVEN THOUGH IF THE FLAMES CAPITALIZED ON ONE OF THEIR EARLIER PPS, THE PPS AT THE END OF THE GAME MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THAT BIG OF A DEAL TO THE WINGS...

they're a bunch of whiny little ******* and are giving Canada a bad name... seriously, I had higher hopes for them Canucks but these Calgary fans seem like the retards of hockey fans