• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

The radio broadcast of the game on the FAN 960 in Calgary said that Iginla could have received a d-o-g penalty, when he flipped the puck down the ice late in the third, and was lucky that he didn't. Truth in broadcasting.

funny how no one saw that or mentioned it. I saw it. :ph34r: Poor sport all around - can you even picture Lidstrom doing that? I can't.

I can understand why they are bitter toward the Wings, but hey... play better than the Wings in the third and we wouldn't have anyone from Calgary complaining. :hehe:

Edited by puckloo39, 22 November 2010 - 09:03 AM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#22 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:24 AM

Even if the Flames fans feel they overcame some great injustice in the first 2 periods, they were given a 4 minute powerplay (on a discretionary call, not automatic) almost half way through the 3rd period in a game that they were leading 4-2. If the Flames had potted one on that powerplay, they would have tidily swept the rest of the game into the W column. It was practically gift wrapped for the taking at that point.

I'm all for chewing out the refs for poor officiating, but at some point the onus is on the Flames for not putting the game away with a golden opportunity that the "clearly biased" refs put on a platter for them.

This. The 3rd period was all about a Flames team that was ahead, yet still lost composure when the Wings put the pressure on. I can't remember exactly, but I think that stupid, blatant, bear-hug of a holding penalty happened during their 4 minute power play. How dumb is that?

#23 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

The radio broadcast of the game on the FAN 960 in Calgary said that Iginla could have received a d-o-g penalty, when he flipped the puck down the ice late in the third, and was lucky that he didn't. Truth in broadcasting.

Mickey Redmond said the samething!!! I was waiting for the woodbench to be thrown on the ice with all the penalties against Calgary! But all seemed legit to me! Calgary seems to be the Oakland Raiders of the NHL! There is a reason they are 8-10-3 or something close to that! Up 4-2 late in the third and can't seal the deal has nothing to do with the refs and everything to do with the players wearing the flaming C's on their jerseys!!

#24 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

Why does this sound like the common LGW fan as well? I mean, if they don't do well, they lean on the officiating. There is no credit given to the team unless its a 6-0 blowout.

I hate it when people say this. It's been well established that the refs the past few seasons have had TERRIBLE calls against the Wings, and the San Jose series was the worst officiating we've ever witnessed. It wasn't just us making excuses, non-Wings fans agreed.

But for last night's example, when you play a physical style game and you're losing your grip on the game, you're going to take penalties. When you play a clean game like the Wings, you won't.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#25 jmad

jmad

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

That must have been a real heartbreaker for Calgary fans last night. I cant blame them too much. That was one of the great endings I've seen in my life and I've been watching the wings for 20 years. I wish they would have let Abs and Iginla go though. He needed a couple fists in his face for slapping the puck down the ice.

#26 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

Jay Bouwmeester often speaks barely above a whisper, but he was loud and clear Sunday.

The normally soft-spoken Calgary Flames blueliner was irate over the penalty called on him in the final minutes which led to Detroit's tying goal with 3.2 seconds left in regulation and eventual 5-4 overtime victory Sunday night.

"It was a rebound and the guy's going to the net, so I lift his stick and he f---ing falls down and (the referee) calls a f---ing penalty," Bouwmeester said. "It was terrible, in my opinion.

"I don't want to say any more because I don't want to get fined, but it's mind-boggling to me."

http://www.calgarysu...1/16251461.html

#27 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

If they have any case at all it's the call against Bouwemeester. Late in the 3rd with a one goal lead, the puck rebounding toward abby and he's just supposed to stand there and let him have it? D-men make that play all the time in front of their net and it's not called. I'd be pissed too. All the other calls looked fine though.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#28 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

The comments from the Flames fans on their forum don't surprise me at all. Anyone remember this incident?

http://nhl.fanhouse....us-steve-mason/

#29 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

To me Bouwemeester didn't just lift Abdelkader's stick as he was going to the net. He impeded his progress and dumped him in the progress while Abdelkader didn't even touch the puck. That's interference. That being said, that play does go uncalled a lot of times by the net - especially that late in a game. However, timing of the game isn't really an excuse to not make a call. Just because most often to not calls dont get made at certain junctures of a game doesnt mean people should be so up in arms when refs actually do make a call at that time.

The one call I think was weak was the Hagman slash while the Flames were on the 4 minute powerplay. To me that was a make up call because with the Wings down 4-2 Bertuzzi gets a holding call + an additional 2(which at the time I thought was weak because he was side stepping a hit and the player he 'held' didn't even have the pick and then he gets an unsportsmanlike for mouthing off on top of that which seemed unneccesary). Again, we see weak make up calls go both ways all year long. I personally dont like them but it's what happens all the time so you learn to live with it.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#30 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

All I read from Bowmasterbater was: My woo-hoo hurts.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:24 PM

I love how all the Flame fans are complaining about these calls, when they're about as legit as it gets. Stajan's bear-hug of Filppula and then Bouwmeester's interference of Kader when he didn't have the puck are penalties - no doubt. I could easily imagine that if Detroit players did the exact same thing to Calgary and WEREN'T called, CalgaryPuck would explode.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 GordieHowe4Ever

GordieHowe4Ever

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

Players lost it for themselves. Calgary is just making themselves look like a bunch of whiners by doing this.

#33 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Fans blame refs for blown game.... film at 11.

Why is this such a big deal? If this was reverse we would be bitching up a storm as well.

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

Fans blame refs for blown game.... film at 11.

Why is this such a big deal? If this was reverse we would be bitching up a storm as well.

Not really. Most of us are able to look through our Red Wings colored glasses and recognize a penalty when there is one.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#35 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

To me, they were pretty much fine until Iginla blew up. When players see their captain lose it, they generally follow suit. I'm not taking anything away from him as a player, as notching 3 points speaks for itself, but the guy really has some temper issues. Detroit keeps its composure consistently, and they're lead by a captain who exudes patience. I don't think it's an coincidence that they're such a successful team. Just my take.

#36 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

You haven't noticed the huge thread on HF Boards? Oh my did the Flames fans rally this one up, stand by for attempted suicides.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#37 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:33 PM

You haven't noticed the huge thread on HF Boards? Oh my did the Flames fans rally this one up, stand by for attempted suicides.

I haven't read that one. I've been getting high off of the CalgaryPuck threads.

#38 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

I don't understand why they blame the officiating for that loss ? Wings basically handed them 2 goals because of Raf's mistakes, if he doesn't make them the Wings win anyways. Its just too easy to point to the officiating for the loss, I mean the Leafs do it all the time, or blame Ron Wilson for the teams lack of effort.. its a joke. They had equal PP opportunitues (I think ?) and they had 4 minutes to go ahead with another goal in the 3rd. I posted it already in some other post, Wings take less penalties than anyone in the league right now, but are also granted the least amount of penalties out of any team.. so how is it Wings are loved by the Refs ?

#39 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

I haven't read that one. I've been getting high off of the CalgaryPuck threads.

Yeah, I was tuning in to the CalgaryPuck threads for awhile, hours of amusement. Have a whack at this one. HF Boards

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#40 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

That's two games in one night Calgary fans were complaining about officiating then. Earlier they were complaining about the refs in the Canadian Football (CFL) Western Conference Final, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Calgary Stampeders, game. Even some of the Calgary players were whining!

Saskatchewan won 20-16, two close calls went Saskatchewan's way, and Calgary was called for a lot of penalties in the game, starting a Calgary pity party cry baby fest by fans and players. One of the Calgary players accused the CFL of getting their wish, Saskatchewan (the team the gets the best TV ratings) is in the final.

My response seeing two of my favorite teams beat Calgary yesterday is, "Eat it!" :lol: At this moment, my most satisfying wins, other than winning a big playoff game (which one of them was yesterday), are against Calgary.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons