• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Controversy in Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

Actually, they did notice it, they just told one of the pens to get off the ice rather than call a penalty.... :ph34r:

Ladies and gentlemen, he's not kidding - that really happened.

What was interesting was the Ref gave no explanation whatsoever, simply "its a goal". Clearly he was embaressed/didn't agree/didn't understand why that was a goal.

I found that curious as well. The ref ALWAYS states why it is or isn't a goal. Such as "After review, it was determined that the puck crossed the line after the whistle blew, therefore, no goal."

But this time, it was just, "It's a goal."

No reason, no nothing. I guess it wouldn't be good for business if he went out there and said, "After review, it was determined that since it's Pittsburgh, it's a goal."

The thing is, it's not like that at all. There should not have been a whistle in the Hossa case, as the puck was in sight for longer than a second. In this case, the puck was covered.

But it wasn't in Brad Watson's (?) sight because he was way out of position, in the corner, and couldn't see the puck from his vantage point. The ruling has always been when the ref loses sight of the puck, blow the whistle and play is dead. Not that that makes it right, but he actually called it by the book.

Isn't that what we as hockey fans ( not just Wings fans ) want? The refs to call the game by the rulebook, even though we may not agree with all the rules in it?

The only thing I can think of (besides incompetent officiating) is that FSN pittsburgh really didn't include any audio with the replays they provided and the war room thought they were simply trying to determine if the puck crossed the line. Pretty bad communication if that was the case, but FSN pittsburgh did get caught doing something shady once.

Yes, just last January; but...Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Very similar. FSN Pittsburgh withheld a camera angle in a game against, I believe, Philly, that would have shown conclusively that Philly had scored a goal. Instead, the goal was taken back and the Penguins went on to win the game. Neither FSN Pittsburgh, nor the Penguins received any disciplinary action.

The first part of your post is true. However, the disallowed Flyer goal did not impact the outcome of the game and FSN Pittsburgh employee Lowell McDonald Jr (son of the former Pens player) was suspended.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/FSN_Pittsburgh_employee_suspended_.html?viewAll=Y&text=

The BS surrounding this franchise is really getting bad though. I saw this game while at a bar and couldn't hear it, so I had no idea about any of this until this morning. lol

The first part of your post is true. However, the disallowed Flyer goal did not impact the outcome of the game and FSN Pittsburgh employee Lowell McDonald Jr (son of the former Pens player) was suspended.

http://www.philly.co...viewAll=Y&text=

Oops, I clearly misremembered the remaining details. I stand corrected.

Of course, the producer is clearly back to his old tricks again. A termination would be nice this time.

Truly pathetic. Calls like this are destroying the game. I have friends who are pretty much done with the NHL after watching last year's playoffs and the horrible calls made there. They didn't see the point of watching a game when calls are made so arbitrarily. After watching a video like that I can sympathize with them.

The league needs to get the rules straight and start calling games consistently, or all credibility is going to be lost with the fans.

Wow. Where to begin.

I thought I was pissed when I saw the video. Carman just sunk to a new low.

First off, that is not a goal. The whistle blew and the defenseman knocks the goalie into the net along with the puck. No goal.

Second, the fact that they said it was a goal is a huge embarrassment to the league. That was such a damn joke. When the ref on the ice says it is not a goal because the whistle was blown should indicate to the league replay guy that he needs to LISTEN to the replay. It was obviously never any question that the puck eventually crossed the line. Holy f*** come on people.

Third, the fact that a Pens team is desperate for such a call to go in their favor just shows how far they have fallen this year.

Truly pathetic. Calls like this are destroying the game. I have friends who are pretty much done with the NHL after watching last year's playoffs and the horrible calls made there. They didn't see the point of watching a game when calls are made so arbitrarily. After watching a video like that I can sympathize with them.

The league needs to get the rules straight and start calling games consistently, or all credibility is going to be lost with the fans.

Excuse me, but are you actually suggesting that the NHL is run on something less than 10000% percent integrity?

I don't really know what more can be said, I'm kinda at a loss for words other than to say its becoming harder and harder for people to say the Pens aren't favoured by the NHL.

This. And the "conspiracy" doesn't have to be some grand scheme or plan that has to play itself out all the way to the SCF for it to work. It could simply be nudges when they need them, benefits of the doubt when it matters, like in this case. The Pens needed that goal and they got it. Just like in the Finals against us, they needed the help to win and they got it. In a few years no one will remember the help they got (except us), all they'll remember is who won. Mission accomplished.

esteef

i think the rule itself is stupid. the referee loses sight of the puck and thinks that the goalie has it covered so he blows the whistle but clearly the goalie did not have control of the puck (remember '09, gm 3 vs anaheim?).

i understand the ref should blow the whistle to stop the clock; he can't just let the clock run down for another 5 seconds every time a goalie makes a save just to make sure he really has control of the puck.

but the bottom line is the rule should be changed so that they can review it and say ok the ref lost sight of it and thought the play was dead BUT... clearly the goaltender did not have control of the puck and therefore it should be a good goal.

however, under the current rules, that goal clearly should not have counted.

Absolutely. This intent to blow the whistle is BS. Review the goal. If the goalie had control the play is dead, if he didn't then it's a goal. Why the frick is this so damn difficult.

I don't care about anybody's intent. He either had control or he didn't. This should be reviewable and challageable.

plus this is the explanation of the goal. Some of you guys love to ***** just to ***** w/o getting all the facts:

Official explanation of the NHL's review of the goal by Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz at 9:19 of the third period on Friday night, from Mike Murphy, Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League:

“Greg Kimmerly, the referee, initiated the review. He asked us if the puck entered the net in a legal fashion. There was no kick, and there was no glove. I can’t apply anything about blowing a whistle, unless it is clearly well after the whistle. The only thing I can determine is whether the puck crossed the goal line legally – in a proper fashion. After that, it is simply the referee’s call on the ice.”

Which this is probably what really happened:

1. Ref never saw the puck go in.

2. Ref asks war room.

3. War room says it went in.

4. Ref doesn't realize that maybe it went in after his whistle, because Toronto never told him.

makes sense how the ref would funk up so badly.

Still the wrong call.

Edited by Konnan511

Guest scottj

Even if that's the case... Nhl officials are just going overboard with awesomeness and competence this year. They need to settle down or they may be TOO consistent

plus this is the explanation of the goal. Some of you guys love to ***** just to ***** w/o getting all the facts:

Which this is probably what really happened:

1. Ref never saw the puck go in.

2. Ref asks war room.

3. War room says it went in.

4. Ref doesn't realize that maybe it went in after his whistle, because Toronto never told him.

makes sense how the ref would funk up so badly.

Still the wrong call.

Feels like a bogus excuse... What stopped Toronto/The War Room from saying "the whistle was blown before it went in, no goal." or "the puck went in before we heard the whistle, it's a good goal." The way calls are being made today, there's no way to know what's good and what's bad anymore, the problem with the board is that we see things as "always favouring the pens and hating on the wings." I don't watch enough of the Penguins' games to say "well every call goes in their favour every game". Just an error by the NHL who needs to make their rules black and white, this wasn't even worthy of grey area.

I'm drawing a blank on that one....

Lidstrom and datsyuk were suspended for a game for not attending the all star weekend. They figured they'd just get the rest instead of playing in a meaningless game (because they were either injured or just coming off of injury). Crosby didn't attend either because at the last second bettman made a new rule saying if you at least show up there, there would be no suspension. Had lids and dats known this, they could have avoided a 1 game suspension by just showing up like poster girl criesby. Bettman didn't make this rule widely known. Only crosby seemed to know about this rule, and lids and dats sat a game for him playing favorites and only letting his girlfriend in on this secret rule. But SHHHH.....bettman doesn't want you to know : )

This. And the "conspiracy" doesn't have to be some grand scheme or plan that has to play itself out all the way to the SCF for it to work. It could simply be nudges when they need them, benefits of the doubt when it matters, like in this case. The Pens needed that goal and they got it. Just like in the Finals against us, they needed the help to win and they got it. In a few years no one will remember the help they got (except us), all they'll remember is who won. Mission accomplished.

100% agree. Even now, just two years from 2008 SCF nobody remember how Game 5 in Detroit was officiated. Pens desperately needed to win and they got all the whistles in the overtime. Still remeber how our players were frustrated. That year we were clearly better and we ovecome that. One year later teams were more or less equal to each other but the officiating was still in favors of Crosbys.

Lidstrom and datsyuk were suspended for a game for not attending the all star weekend. They figured they'd just get the rest instead of playing in a meaningless game (because they were either injured or just coming off of injury). Crosby didn't attend either because at the last second bettman made a new rule saying if you at least show up there, there would be no suspension. Had lids and dats known this, they could have avoided a 1 game suspension by just showing up like poster girl criesby. Bettman didn't make this rule widely known. Only crosby seemed to know about this rule, and lids and dats sat a game for him playing favorites and only letting his girlfriend in on this secret rule. But SHHHH.....bettman doesn't want you to know : )

To add some details:

Prior to that season (can't remember, 07-08?), the GMs and the league came up with a rule that stated that if you're selected to the ASG or its on-ice activities, you have to play in them or sit out the game after the ASG; we only knew about this rule after Lidstrom and Datsyuk would be suspended. IIRC, they were going to take the suspension because of the injuries they had (Lidstrom had tendonitis in his elbow, I believe, can't remember what Datsyuk's injury was). A day or so before the ASG activities, Crosby announced that he would be sitting it out, as well as the game following it, because of an injury (thinking knee or lower body, can't exactly remember). Again, the GMs all knew the rule and had no problem with it.

Well, then the league decided, well past the last minute, to change the rule so that you only have to attend the ASG festivities, not play in the ASG or other on-ice activities. That saved Crosby (and the Penguins) from having their star sit out the following game (were they outside the playoffs at that point? Can't remember). Lidstrom and Datsyuk were already out of the country and couldn't/wouldn't get back to attend the festivities.

Again, the league and the GMs came up with the "sit out the following game if you don't play in the ASG if selected" rule, but it was the league that amended the rule after Crosby announced his non-attendance. This, along with other previous cases where the Penguins/Crosby benefited from something shady/questionable, helps contribute to the "pro-Penguins/pro-Crosby league" conspiracies.

This is one of the most embarrassing posts I've ever seen on this board, and I've been here 2 1/2 years. I've seen trolls whose only purpose here is to post "LOL RED WINGS SUX!!!! DEAD THINGS!! LOLOLOLOL!!!11" spout less embarrassing things than that post.

We get it. You're attached to Crosby's nuts. You think the sun shines out of his ass, his s*** smells like roses and when he smiles, you say "But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is Crosby, and he is the sun." I'm convinced he could go on a tri-state murdering spree, kill 34 people including infants, war widows and puppies and you'd still say that Wings fans were jealous we didn't have a puppy-murderer on our team who can kill puppies like he can.

Just please.

This was one of the funniest things I've ever read on LGW, I was coughing up a lung laughing so hard. Good stuff man.

Ok I don't think people understood my post. I understand the intent rule, and the inconsistency of the league concerning this goal and the Brad May goal. I was just saying goals like these should count, the puck was loose and the Penguin's didn't push the goalie into the net or anything. I'd like to think that would be a goal in the NHL, although I do understand the intent to blow rule now. My post was more in reply to the inability of the league to really consistently enforce the intent to blow rule fairly between all the different refs, having that goal decision come from one source is not a good idea and is just setting the referee's up for failure.

And keep attacking me for the stance on irrational hate of Crosby, the post I replied to was really stretching to bash Crosby, I just was really interested what under that situation would you like for a captain of the team to do? I can understand disliking Crosby for many things, but this one I don't get. That's all.