• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Controversy in Pittsburgh

Rate this topic

Can't say I've ever seen Pittsburgh get royally screwed by the officials.

Same here. I can't recall such incidences happening to the Sharks or Hawks or Thrashers or Canes' or etc... But it doesn't mean that they haven't been screwed before.

I'm all for conspiracy theories, but I can see how there was a mistake made. Refs asked the war room if the goal went in with a legal fashion. Refs didn't think to bring up whistle. War room says there was no kicking motion and that the puck went in and they aren't to bring up whistle because ref didn't specify. Ref calls good goal. If you should be mad at anyone, be mad at the head ref that game. The people that just say s*** because everyone else says it are the reason why this place is slowly turning into RWC and the main board at HF.

Lidstrom and datsyuk were suspended for a game for not attending the all star weekend. They figured they'd just get the rest instead of playing in a meaningless game (because they were either injured or just coming off of injury). Crosby didn't attend either because at the last second bettman made a new rule saying if you at least show up there, there would be no suspension. Had lids and dats known this, they could have avoided a 1 game suspension by just showing up like poster girl criesby. Bettman didn't make this rule widely known. Only crosby seemed to know about this rule, and lids and dats sat a game for him playing favorites and only letting his girlfriend in on this secret rule. But SHHHH.....bettman doesn't want you to know : )

Lidstrom and Datsyuk were NOT suspended that year. The rule is you MUST miss a game immediately prior to or after the all star break if you choose not to participate. That has always been the case.

I'm looking up the time-line to when Bettman amended the ruling for the "festivities" so bear with me on that.

"I heard it through (media reports of) Sidney Crosby going there and not playing," Lidstrom said. "I heard he wasn't going to be suspended, so that's how I heard. They never called me and told me that."

I'll be damned.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Lidstrom and Datsyuk were NOT suspended that year. The rule is you MUST miss a game immediately prior to or after the all star break if you choose not to participate. That has always been the case.

I'm looking up the time-line to when Bettman amended the ruling for the "festivities" so bear with me on that.

I'll be damned.

I gotta disagree a little... the word used NHL wide to describe the actions took against Lids and Datsyuk was 'suspended'. I mean, you can call it 'missing a game' if you want and leave it at that for all I care... but it most certainly was considered a suspension at the time. Isn't that the very definition of suspension? You could play, but you're not allowed. Just because Lids and Dats were ok with it doesn't make it any less of a suspension imo.

EDIT: Ahhhhhh... nice ninja-edit. :)

Edited by Broken 16

To add some details:

Prior to that season (can't remember, 07-08?), the GMs and the league came up with a rule that stated that if you're selected to the ASG or its on-ice activities, you have to play in them or sit out the game after the ASG; we only knew about this rule after Lidstrom and Datsyuk would be suspended. IIRC, they were going to take the suspension because of the injuries they had (Lidstrom had tendonitis in his elbow, I believe, can't remember what Datsyuk's injury was). A day or so before the ASG activities, Crosby announced that he would be sitting it out, as well as the game following it, because of an injury (thinking knee or lower body, can't exactly remember). Again, the GMs all knew the rule and had no problem with it.

Well, then the league decided, well past the last minute, to change the rule so that you only have to attend the ASG festivities, not play in the ASG or other on-ice activities. That saved Crosby (and the Penguins) from having their star sit out the following game (were they outside the playoffs at that point? Can't remember). Lidstrom and Datsyuk were already out of the country and couldn't/wouldn't get back to attend the festivities.

Again, the league and the GMs came up with the "sit out the following game if you don't play in the ASG if selected" rule, but it was the league that amended the rule after Crosby announced his non-attendance. This, along with other previous cases where the Penguins/Crosby benefited from something shady/questionable, helps contribute to the "pro-Penguins/pro-Crosby league" conspiracies.

I love how in one interview Crosby talked about getting on the phone with Bettman to discuss it... I was wondering at the time if he was speed dial #1 or #2, behind Mario.

I love how in one interview Crosby talked about getting on the phone with Bettman to discuss it... I was wondering at the time if he was speed dial #1 or #2, behind Mario.

That annoyed me too. How many other players have Bettman on speed dial?

this SHOULD be a good goal, but the way the rule is written now, it was NOT a goal. the rule should be changed, but until it is, they should enforce it equally. i would probably be on the pens' side (or any team's side that his happened to) if it hadn't bitten us in the ass so many times. but, hey, that's how they enforce it, and even if they're going to enforce a bad rule, they should do it consistently.