• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WpgMikos

Winter Classic Curse

Rate this topic

Was looking into something Winter Classic related and came across this note on Wikipedia:

Since the inception of the NHL's Winter Classic outdoor game starting during the 2007-2008 NHL Season, the away team in each instance has gone on to the Stanley Cup Finals only to lose that series.

The 2007-2008 Pittsburgh Penguins were the visiting team against the 2007-2008 Buffalo Sabres, only to lose to the Detroit Red Wings in the 2008 Final that year.

The 2008-2009 Detroit Red Wings visited the 2008-2009 Chicago Blackhawks, only to lose to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2009 Final.

The 2009-2010 Philadelphia Flyers visited the 2009-2010 Boston Bruins, only to go on to lose to the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2010 Final.

So I guess we can lock in our bets that the Capitals will make the Finals, representing the East. Of course with the Wings representing the West, looks like its going to be a throw back to 1998.

Of course we know how that ended....

Not that it's a crazy prediction to suggest that the Capitals could make the Stanley Cup Finals, but if you were making a guess what % would you put that they make the Finals?

Player Longevity:

Guys from that 98' team still playing with the Wings: 4 (7 total in NHL/KHL)

Draper, Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Osgood. (Knuble, Kozlov & Fedorov)

Guys from that 98' team still playing with the Capitals: 0 (1 in NHL)

Gonchar

Edited by WpgMikos

the caps are my pick to come out of the east. youre also right about them losing to the wings in the finals.

that was an awesome video clip by the way, i love seeing how those guys treated vlad. class act all around.

I thought the Winter Classic curse has been discussed here before, but my memory tends to fail me from time to time.

Another interesting fact:

2008 - Pittsburgh plays in Winter Class, wins cup next year in 2009

2009 - Chicago plays in Winter Classic, wins cup next year in 2010

So, there are 2 different streaks.

Pitt @ Buffalo - Pitt loses in the SCF,

Det @ Chicago - Detroit loses in the SCF - Pitt wins

Philly @ Boston - Philly loses in the SCF - Chicago wins

Wash @ Pittsburgh - ???

Either Washington wins the East and loses in the SCF, or Boston wins the cup. Only one of the two streaks can continue.

So, there are 2 different streaks.

Pitt @ Buffalo - Pitt loses in the SCF,

Det @ Chicago - Detroit loses in the SCF - Pitt wins

Philly @ Boston - Philly loses in the SCF - Chicago wins

Wash @ Pittsburgh - ???

Either Washington wins the East and loses in the SCF, or Boston wins the cup. Only one of the two streaks can continue.

Er, not quite true. Both could be complete chance and coincidence.

Correlation doesn't imply causation. Especially when it's been three years.

exactly.

I'm not even sure we can honestly talk about correlation. it's 3 element sample and that's far from the threshold when any probabilistic distribution (except for some very trivial) can be distinguished from white noise... ;)

nice coincidence and that's it. and I'd personally bet that no Caps nor Flyers will be reaching the SCF this year ;)

Er, not quite true. Both could be complete chance and coincidence.

Well, I realize that it's likely chance and coincidence, but all I meant is that only one of the two current streaks could continue, if either do at all.

I thought the Winter Classic curse has been discussed here before, but my memory tends to fail me from time to time.

Another interesting fact:

2008 - Pittsburgh plays in Winter Class, wins cup next year in 2009

2009 - Chicago plays in Winter Classic, wins cup next year in 2010

If you add this to the original curse, it means Detroit will play Washington in the final this year, and go on to win the cup.