• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crotty99

Operation curly fries.

Rate this topic

Aren't fries one of the cheapest things a fast food joint can make? Aren't you actually getting value more in a roast beef sandwich?

They make most of their profit on soda, I believe. Either way, though, I would imagine the Curly Fries are cheaper. I don't eat meat and have never redeemed one of those vouchers for anything be it Curly Fry or other; but I did notice they changed the promotion.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Curly Fries was last year.

This year is Roast Beef Sandwiches.

They make most of their profit on soda, I believe. Either way, though, I would imagine the Curly Fries are cheaper. I don't eat meat and have never redeemed one of those vouchers for anything be it Curly Fry or other; but I did notice they changed the promotion.

Soda is likely one of their top markups, but lets be serious. Arby's is a national fast food chain, they make profit on everything they sell.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Aren't fries one of the cheapest things a fast food joint can make? Aren't you actually getting value more in a roast beef sandwich?

If the roast beef sandwich is actually cheaper to make than the curly fries, I shudder to think what kind of cheap ingredients they use in the sandwich.

I hate changes like this as much as the next person, but oh well, whatever. I never went in for the free curly fries either, but I love hearing Mickey yell about it. I bet he still will regardless.

Maybe that's why they changed. The idea of the promo was to get people in the restaurant so they buy the whole lunch to go with their curly fries. Perhaps they think more people will go in for a free sandwich rather than just fries.

Perhaps they think more people will go in for a free sandwich rather than just fries.

so true. I agree that the curly fry line sounds better but I'm not about to drive across town for a fry.. I mean I probably won't for a sandwich either but I would be much more apt to.

Curly Fries was last year.

This year is (regular size) Roast Beef Sandwiches.

Actually it's the Junior Roast Beef, which is only $1 on the menu.

I know last year, if you went in and just ordered the curly fries for free, they gave you a smaller size. But if you ordered more food they gave you the next size up.

I understand last year was curly fries, but wasn't it a roast beef sandwich the previous year? Or was that just for the Tigers?

It was a sandwich (Regular size) the year before and I don't think anyone got a hat trick that year.

Soda is likely one of their top markups, but lets be serious. Arby's is a national fast food chain, they make profit on everything they sell.

Yeah, for sure. I suppose I should've phrased that better.

If the roast beef sandwich is actually cheaper to make than the curly fries, I shudder to think what kind of cheap ingredients they use in the sandwich.

I heard somewhere that their 'roast beef' is actually some dehydrated imitation. Could have easily been an exaggeration or hearsay, though.

Yeah, for sure. I suppose I should've phrased that better.

I heard somewhere that their 'roast beef' is actually some dehydrated imitation. Could have easily been an exaggeration or hearsay, though.

I think the beef is cooked on a vertical spit, kind of like how restaurants do shawarma or gyro meat. Not sure what happens processing wise between the hoof and the restaurant, though.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think the beef is cooked on a vertical spit, kind of like how restaurants do shawarma or gyro meat. Not sure what happens processing wise between the hoof and the restaurant, though.

It's likely a combination of less popular beef cuts, mechanically stripped beef, and filler formed into a large roast using seaweed binders to make it look like one piece. Sorta like gyro meat, just different makeup.

It's likely a combination of less popular beef cuts, mechanically stripped beef, and filler formed into a large roast using seaweed binders to make it look like one piece. Sorta like gyro meat, just different makeup.

Tasty. :rip:

Right. Food has the highest markup by far. It starts at 100% on some items, and ends at 500% on soda and coffee.

I don't know if it's going on in Michigan too, but here in Ontario McDonalds is giving away free coffee, all day, for two weeks, which I think is brilliant! They're probably only losing pennies a cup. Also how many people will just get a coffee? Anyone who gets a free coffee, will buy something else, even it's $1 or $2.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Damn this thread. Now I'm going to have to get dressed, find an Arby's and order some damn curly fries.

I don't know if it's going on in Michigan too, but here in Ontario McDonalds is giving away free coffee, all day, for two weeks, which I think is brilliant! They're probably only losing pennies a cup. Also how many people will just get a coffee? Anyone who gets a free coffee, will buy something else, even it's $1 or $2.

Here in Michigan, Burger King is doing a similar promotion with coffee. Free coffee every Friday morning during November. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I know the markup is huge on beverages and it's all about dangling the carrot to get the people in the doors/drive-thru.

After seeing how McDonald's made their McChicken, I avoid fast food chains now. I mean, I knew the food was processed but didn't quite understand the actual "process", so I didn't think anything of it. I will say I do crave KFC's mac and cheese and Arby's curly fries every now and then though, God that stuff is good.

When Z got his hat trick I went to the one by Great Lakes Crossing and they looked at me like I was some kind of psycho. "What's a hat trick?"

No lie - they had to call the manager over and she said she didn't know anything about the offer. I had to argue just to get them, and as she handed them over she told me they wouldn't be doing it anymore. f*** Arbys.

so true. I agree that the curly fry line sounds better but I'm not about to drive across town for a fry.. I mean I probably won't for a sandwich either but I would be much more apt to.

Probably? Anyone who would waste an 30min- and hour of their time and a couple bucks in gas, the annoyance of traffic, etc. just to get something for free worth a dollar has mental issues. ;) Luckily there is an arbys literally within sight from my house.

Oh, and have you ever had a jr. roast beef from arbys? I have, and I know its only a dollar, but I have never felt so ripped off buying a dollar menu item from a fast food joint as I did the couple times I got the jr. roast beef. I even gave them a second chance at a different location hoping the first one was a fluke. Both times, I essentially got an empty bun. There was the tiniest sliver of roast beef in the center of it, 95% bun. With the fries, at least you get a full little cardboard thing full of fried curly deliciousness.:thumbup:

Guest Stolberg

After seeing how McDonald's made their McChicken, I avoid fast food chains now. I mean, I knew the food was processed but didn't quite understand the actual "process", so I didn't think anything of it. I will say I do crave KFC's mac and cheese and Arby's curly fries every now and then though, God that stuff is good.

you probably don't need to worry about the brutally slaughtered potatoes they use for curly fries

Guest CaliWingsNut

you probably don't need to worry about the brutally slaughtered potatoes they use for curly fries

eh... their potatoes are most likely pretty good. They are likely contracting out whole farms for their potatoes. It's what they spray those potatoes with that's icky.