Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#2 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

We're gonna blow the lid off of these curly fries emails!

..Oh wait. :ph34r:

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

We're gonna blow the lid off of these curly fries emails!

..Oh wait. :ph34r:

Aren't fries one of the cheapest things a fast food joint can make? Aren't you actually getting value more in a roast beef sandwich?

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

damn. I'm hungry now.

#5 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:34 PM

Aren't fries one of the cheapest things a fast food joint can make? Aren't you actually getting value more in a roast beef sandwich?

They make most of their profit on soda, I believe. Either way, though, I would imagine the Curly Fries are cheaper. I don't eat meat and have never redeemed one of those vouchers for anything be it Curly Fry or other; but I did notice they changed the promotion.

#6 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

Curly Fries was last year.

This year is Roast Beef Sandwiches.

They make most of their profit on soda, I believe. Either way, though, I would imagine the Curly Fries are cheaper. I don't eat meat and have never redeemed one of those vouchers for anything be it Curly Fry or other; but I did notice they changed the promotion.

Soda is likely one of their top markups, but lets be serious. Arby's is a national fast food chain, they make profit on everything they sell.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 23 November 2010 - 04:26 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#7 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

If the roast beef sandwich is actually cheaper to make than the curly fries, I shudder to think what kind of cheap ingredients they use in the sandwich.

I hate changes like this as much as the next person, but oh well, whatever. I never went in for the free curly fries either, but I love hearing Mickey yell about it. I bet he still will regardless.

Maybe that's why they changed. The idea of the promo was to get people in the restaurant so they buy the whole lunch to go with their curly fries. Perhaps they think more people will go in for a free sandwich rather than just fries.

#8 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

I understand last year was curly fries, but wasn't it a roast beef sandwich the previous year? Or was that just for the Tigers?
RIP #24

#9 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

Perhaps they think more people will go in for a free sandwich rather than just fries.

so true. I agree that the curly fry line sounds better but I'm not about to drive across town for a fry.. I mean I probably won't for a sandwich either but I would be much more apt to.

#10 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Curly Fries was last year.

This year is (regular size) Roast Beef Sandwiches.

Actually it's the Junior Roast Beef, which is only $1 on the menu.

I know last year, if you went in and just ordered the curly fries for free, they gave you a smaller size. But if you ordered more food they gave you the next size up.

I understand last year was curly fries, but wasn't it a roast beef sandwich the previous year? Or was that just for the Tigers?

It was a sandwich (Regular size) the year before and I don't think anyone got a hat trick that year.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#11 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

Soda is likely one of their top markups, but lets be serious. Arby's is a national fast food chain, they make profit on everything they sell.

Yeah, for sure. I suppose I should've phrased that better.

If the roast beef sandwich is actually cheaper to make than the curly fries, I shudder to think what kind of cheap ingredients they use in the sandwich.

I heard somewhere that their 'roast beef' is actually some dehydrated imitation. Could have easily been an exaggeration or hearsay, though.

#12 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, for sure. I suppose I should've phrased that better.

I heard somewhere that their 'roast beef' is actually some dehydrated imitation. Could have easily been an exaggeration or hearsay, though.

I think the beef is cooked on a vertical spit, kind of like how restaurants do shawarma or gyro meat. Not sure what happens processing wise between the hoof and the restaurant, though.

#13 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

I think the beef is cooked on a vertical spit, kind of like how restaurants do shawarma or gyro meat. Not sure what happens processing wise between the hoof and the restaurant, though.

It's likely a combination of less popular beef cuts, mechanically stripped beef, and filler formed into a large roast using seaweed binders to make it look like one piece. Sorta like gyro meat, just different makeup.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#14 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

It's likely a combination of less popular beef cuts, mechanically stripped beef, and filler formed into a large roast using seaweed binders to make it look like one piece. Sorta like gyro meat, just different makeup.

Tasty. :rip:

#15 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:37 PM

Right. Food has the highest markup by far. It starts at 100% on some items, and ends at 500% on soda and coffee.

I don't know if it's going on in Michigan too, but here in Ontario McDonalds is giving away free coffee, all day, for two weeks, which I think is brilliant! They're probably only losing pennies a cup. Also how many people will just get a coffee? Anyone who gets a free coffee, will buy something else, even it's $1 or $2.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#16 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

Damn this thread. Now I'm going to have to get dressed, find an Arby's and order some damn curly fries.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#17 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

pretty sure it's a junior roast beef sandwich not a regular

#18 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

I don't know if it's going on in Michigan too, but here in Ontario McDonalds is giving away free coffee, all day, for two weeks, which I think is brilliant! They're probably only losing pennies a cup. Also how many people will just get a coffee? Anyone who gets a free coffee, will buy something else, even it's $1 or $2.

Here in Michigan, Burger King is doing a similar promotion with coffee. Free coffee every Friday morning during November. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I know the markup is huge on beverages and it's all about dangling the carrot to get the people in the doors/drive-thru.

#19 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

After seeing how McDonald's made their McChicken, I avoid fast food chains now. I mean, I knew the food was processed but didn't quite understand the actual "process", so I didn't think anything of it. I will say I do crave KFC's mac and cheese and Arby's curly fries every now and then though, God that stuff is good.

#20 BUHdactyl

BUHdactyl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:16 PM

When Z got his hat trick I went to the one by Great Lakes Crossing and they looked at me like I was some kind of psycho. "What's a hat trick?"

No lie - they had to call the manager over and she said she didn't know anything about the offer. I had to argue just to get them, and as she handed them over she told me they wouldn't be doing it anymore. f*** Arbys.