• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Ovechkin, Kovalchuk heard laughing after Caps' blowout loss

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=342527

EDIT: sorry about the ALL CAPS in the title, I just cut and pasted from the article....it was easier.

Media can blow everything out of proportion. I can understand Boudreau being pissed and I can understand that it probably shouldn't have been happening within earshot of the press conference, but come on, it's not really that big of a deal.

If it were Kovalchuk that had just been blown out, maybe I'd make a bigger deal out of it, because he seems like more of a "me" guy first than Ovechkin. I think Ovechkin cares a lot about winning and losing, so that's why I don't think it's that big of a deal.

They were probably laughing about how much money Kovalchuk is getting paid to do next to nothing anyway. :P

Edited by toby91_ca

Typical media again, and I'm not a big Ovechkin guy either. Two players getting together after the game and are good friends that have known each for a long time. Really should be no big deal.

Typical media again, and I'm not a big Ovechkin guy either. Two players getting together after the game and are good friends that have known each for a long time. Really should be no big deal.

When you're laughing it up with the opposition while within eyesight and earshot of your coach when he's addressing the media after you've been blown out and you yourself are in the midst of a 'slump', it kinda becomes a big deal.

Not that I give a crap either way but I can see the reasons why Boudreau would be peeved.

When you're laughing it up with the opposition while within eyesight and earshot of your coach when he's addressing the media after you've been blown out and you yourself are in the midst of a 'slump', it kinda becomes a big deal.

Not that I give a crap either way but I can see the reasons why Boudreau would be peeved.

Boudreau is just mad because he is quickly realizing his coaching style will never work in the NHL. The Capital's are winning on pure talent, it would be scary if they actually got a good coach.

Ovechkin has proved his worth more than Boudreau ever will, it's Ovechkin's team not his.

Boudreau is just mad because he is quickly realizing his coaching style will never work in the NHL. The Capital's are winning on pure talent, it would be scary if they actually got a good coach.

Ovechkin has proved his worth more than Boudreau ever will, it's Ovechkin's team not his.

While I may agree with the last part somewhat, you just don't behave like that in front of your coach with media present. It's just bad form whether you 'run' the team or not.

While I may agree with the last part somewhat, you just don't behave like that in front of your coach with media present. It's just bad form whether you 'run' the team or not.

They were talking in the hallway, not "in front of" Boudreau. Lighten up. :)

Just how far away from the locker rooms do the players have to go to suit you? Given that OV was involved, they would have to have been clear on the other side of the building for his voice not to be heard by everyone around, especially the press, with their sound-amplifying microphone thingies.

And 3 points in 6 games, with 17 SOG, can be called a "slump" only if it's Ovechkin.

4/5 of the players in the league would be thrilled to have stats like that.

Edited by sibiriak

I don't understand how it's an issue... unless

Go check Vegas. Did Ovie and Kovy split on the pot for the Devils to win?

But seriously... two young guys laughing. They don't get to see each other as often as they'd like I'm sure.

If it were Crosby laughing it up with someone like Getzlaf or w/e after Pitt got crushed, it's not a big deal at all. People love to smear Ovie, and praise Crosby.

I don't understand how it's an issue... unless

Go check Vegas. Did Ovie and Kovy split on the pot for the Devils to win?

But seriously... two young guys laughing. They don't get to see each other as often as they'd like I'm sure.

If it were Crosby laughing it up with someone like Getzlaf or w/e after Pitt got crushed, it's not a big deal at all. People love to smear Ovie, and praise Crosby.

Woah woah, people smear Ovechkin more than Crosby? You are joking right?V

nevermind don't answer this thread should have nothing to do with Crosby but once again his name is brought up.

Edited by Carman

They were talking in tn the hallway, not "in front of" Boudreau. Lighten up. :)

Just how far away from the locker rooms do the players have to go to suit you? Given that OV was involved, they would have to have been clear on the other side of the building for his voice not to be heard by everyone around, especially the press, with their sound-amplifying microphone thingies.

And 3 points in 6 games, with 17 SOG, can be called a "slump" only if it's Ovechkin.

4/5 of the players in the league would be thrilled to have stats like that.

From TSN:

"After Kovalchuk's New Jersey Devils shut out Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals 5-0 on Monday night, the two, along with Caps teammate Alex Semin, were heard fraternizing during head coach Bruce Boudreau's press conference, just a few feet away."

I'd like to see my captain exercise some common sense when doing things like this. He's not just the 'star' anymore, he's the captain. And as such, his behaviour reflects on his whole team and NOT just him anymore. It also relfects on management now since they named him captain.

Again, not a huge deal, but why give the media anything to run with? Especially since you just got your asses handed to you by one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL.

I hope you're kidding about that last part because that would imply that 80% of the NHL would be happy to be on pace or finish with 41 points in 82 games would it not?

From TSN:

"After Kovalchuk's New Jersey Devils shut out Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals 5-0 on Monday night, the two, along with Caps teammate Alex Semin, were heard fraternizing during head coach Bruce Boudreau's press conference, just a few feet away."

I'd like to see my captain exercise some common sense when doing things like this. He's not just the 'star' anymore, he's the captain. And as such, his behaviour reflects on his whole team and NOT just him anymore. It also relfects on management now since they named him captain.

Again, not a huge deal, but why give the media anything to run with? Especially since you just got your asses handed to you by one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL.

I hope you're kidding about that last part because that would imply that 80% of the NHL would be happy to be on pace or finish with 41 points in 82 games would it not?

Come on. Usually, the press conference room is close to the locker rooms in most arenas. Which means that OV, Semin and Kovalchuk were talking in front of one of the locker rooms. What can be more natural than that? Why would they even think about going elsewhere, it's not like they were smoking dope or something. They were just having a conversation. I swear, hockey fans are crazy. I remember few years back a European player (whose name I forgot) had dinner a night before the game with his brother who was playing on the opposing team. The similar type of uproar followed as we see now. This is ridiculous.

And if you look up the stats, last season only 211 of 879 NHL players averaged more than 0.5 Pts/G. This season only about 190 are on pace to exceed that, so far.

Edited by sibiriak

Fail to see the news here. Maybe it's an annoyance to Bodreau, but other than that, how is this a big deal? Two old friends laughing? It's a regular season game, not a playoff game. You shrug off the loss. Would people prefer to have Ovechkin crying and doing Rocky-style workouts to 80s music 24/7?

They need more than a coach to fix that team. Instead of loading up on basically one dimensional players, why not invest in some decent defensemen or backcheckers.

This isn't the big deal people probably make it out to be, but seriously, your team just lost 5-0 TO NEW JERSEY and Ovie has only 2 goals in 9 games.

Imagine you're a coach getting asked questions about your teams three game skid and you get distracted because your star player is a few feet away laughing and ******* around with a guy from the team who just kicked your ass.

As the article states:

As Masisak mentioned, a lot of players seek out friends and fellow countrymen from opposing teams after games, but shouldn't do it so close to the media horde, and in not such a boisterous matter, especially after such a one-sided loss.
Edited by haroldsnepsts

Why should either of the players involved care about media? Only the person signing their checks matter. Capitals are still at the top of the East and Ovechkin is top 5 in points.

So they lost a regular season game. Big deal. I would guess Ovechkin is pretty confident that Capitals will get their playoff spot and this loss does not bother him enough to have a somber face media expects.

why doesn't this guy align his behavior with my standards

arghhhhhhghgghhhhhhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhhhhh

It has nothing to do with the aligning of standards. He gets paid to act like a professional and should act like one until he is out of the arena... at least.

Why should either of the players involved care about media? Only the person signing their checks matter. Capitals are still at the top of the East and Ovechkin is top 5 in points.

So they lost a regular season game. Big deal. I would guess Ovechkin is pretty confident that Capitals will get their playoff spot and this loss does not bother him enough to have a somber face media expects.

Well, the media matter in a very large way seeing as how they are responsible for broadcasting the game to the fans. So ya, I'd say they have a pretty significant hand in the way a player can appear to the rest of us.

And the 'person signing their checks' probably isn't too thrilled with their captain yucking it up while his coach is busy explaining things to the 'useless' media who will print/post/broadcast the story about the blowout.

In conclusion, I agree fully with Broken16:

"Bottom line, there is a time and a place for playful grabassing and in earshot of the coach after getting destroyed by a bottom dwelling team isn't one of them. Ovie is an idiot."

Because they're ultimately entertainers, and rely on the media to help promote the game and themselves.

Seeming like you don't care that your team just got blown out again might make Caps fans less crazy about shelling out their money to support the team.

Isn't it suppose to be a "Game"? Would you rather your leading scorer be depressed and slump out for a few games, or laugh off a few losses and get back to work?

I don't see anything wrong with laughing about the game afterward. Perhaps out of earshot of the media is wiser, but the act itself doesn't bother me.

If this was Detroit with someone else, you know a hundred people would come flying to defend it, "Oh they're long time friends." "Oh, better to laugh about a loss than cry about it!" "Oh what classiness Detroit has, that they can laugh it off like that!"

It's all perspective.

Contrary to popular beliefs, some Hockey Players do have fun.

I bet you won't see Crosby laughing after a loss.

Isn't it suppose to be a "Game"? Would you rather your leading scorer be depressed and slump out for a few games, or laugh off a few losses and get back to work?

I don't see anything wrong with laughing about the game afterward. Perhaps out of earshot of the media is wiser, but the act itself doesn't bother me.

If this was Detroit with someone else, you know a hundred people would come flying to defend it, "Oh they're long time friends." "Oh, better to laugh about a loss than cry about it!" "Oh what classiness Detroit has, that they can laugh it off like that!"

It's all perspective.

Contrary to popular beliefs, some Hockey Players do have fun.

I bet you won't see Crosby laughing after a loss.

There's still a certain amount of professionalism one should exhibit when one is a professional, and like I said earlier, there is a time and a place. Ovie not caring where he is or who can hear him shows a lack of professionalism and a lack of respect in general. Obviously the act of laughing after a game isn't disrespectful, but that is entirely besides the point.

Edited by Broken 16

Like I said, I can understand the coach being pissed and ripping into him privately, but it's a bit much for the media to blow it up like they have.

Guest scottj

lol... I started reading this thread but stopped

I just don't care about this enough to finish reading it... lapse in judgement by Ovechkin? ya. Would I hold this against anybody else in the league captain or not? no. let it go people.

It's funny how everybody here is forgetting that people make dumb mistakes all the time, it's part of being human. Just a lapse in judgement, I'd like to see a picture of where OV and Kovalchuk were compared to the media. I doubt Kovie was in the Caps locker room where most press conferences seem to be conducted...