• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

How Long has Huds got?

Rate this topic

So Rex is in the doghouse again, the second time he has been scratched this season. Not what you want to see from one of the

top earners on the team. The question is, how long will Kenny let Babs do this with Hudler before he say's, ok is he gunna be

a fit or do you want someone else in? I really think that time is running out for Hudler and he isn't going to cement any place

on this side sitting in the press box. I can see Babs's problem in fitting him in. No way on earth does he put him on the 4th line

he just aint got the wheels to go with the guys on that line. His skill set says he should be on one of the top two lines, but who

do you move for him? I think Homer is going to see less and less time playing on the top line, but is Huds upto playing with Pav

and Z? Maybe this could be the answer for a few games, give him some big mins with the top guns see if he can find his scoring touch

and put some numbers up. Its a risk but its the only solution left for Babs to try and get Huds going. If he doesnt then maybe it'll

be time for Kenny to get on the phone and see what he can get, before Hudlers loses any trade worth he has.

Then next 2 weeks could be a make or break time for a diminutive forward.

Huds has a countdown timer on his head.

I get the feeling Babs will sit him a few games, then rotate him in. Hudler's best chance right now is to wait for an injury, and get in and produce.

As it stands right now, he's at a .31 PPG. If he played 82 healthy games that puts him on pace for 25 points, total. That is about 1/3 of his expectation, and less than half of what is basically required of him.

Hudler doesn't take face-offs as a Center.

He's averaging a 3% shot percentage, and has 1 goal in 16 games.

At a -5, he is the lowest player on our team.

Helm, on the other hand, is getting the same point production, but plays a ton of time on the Penalty Kill, and isn't in a scoring role. Helm is faster, smarter with the puck, and more aggressive. Helm is a +3, and does take occasional face-offs.

It's possible Hudler could have a breakout, but he's not showing any signs of it. Usually when guys slump like Flip, for example, he is still working hard, and getting chances. When Hudler slumps, he just goes home.

Hudlers one goal came off the back of a goaltender. Technically it was more of a lucky bounce.

I was glad to see Hudler come back, but then again I was expecting it to be the 20+ goals Hudler.

Right now, I would bench Hudler over Miller, Eaves, Helm, or abdelkader. Between the two I'd rather have Modano out there than Hudler, because at least Modano has a track record of success, something Hudler has mostly left blank on his resume in the NHL.

Bottom line....when you're sitting a guy who was suppose to be a 3rd/2nd line center, because you have minor league players that are playing better than he is, it's time to consider other options. Even if we do keep Hudler around for injury purposes, I'm firmly convinced at this point that we could eenie meenie miney mo the Grand Rapids team, and get similar or greater point production than Hudler has provided so far.

I like the guy. Really I do. I think he has a lot of individual talent. But we've mixed him into multiple line combination's, and he just isn't clicking anywhere, or with anyone.

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of holes in our team. There isn't much short term to look into trading him for. Hudler isn't exactly making himself prize trade bait either. Any team that considers him will have to be a team that believes they have the perfect fit for him, and even then it's a gamble.

I'm not one for fear mongering, but finding a way to get something out of Hudler will serve as an example to future Detroit prospects. There isn't a lot of room for slackers on this team, and too many low end guys are too eager to make it to the NHL.

It is my belief, and call me crazy, but as an NHL centerman, you should probably be playing at a level above your AHL prospects.

Edited by truebladearmy

Guest Hatethedrake!

I am just guessing here but this is how I see it...Babs has seen what we've all seen. Hudler is struggling and is not the same player he was in 2008-2009. One poster made reference to the Mike Brown hit in the playoff series vs the Ducks in '09. Maybe he has not been the same since. Some guys never really recover from concussion(s). Hudler keeps saying that he is happy with his game. Babs is big on accountability and Huds is showing none of it. I think Babs is pissed off hence the benching. Is Hudler in denial? Is he in love with himself? I don't know. My guess is Huds has another month to get his s*** together or he will be Leino'd out of Detroit. He has to look at himself in the mirror and be accountable for his own play. He's out of excuses.

Trade Him....not Leino style. Hudler can play, he can (and will) be valuable on another team but his seat was taken when he opted to leave for more money... too bad, so sad. You leave the best org in Pro Sports for more money to come crying back and find you are no longer a good fit... Loser! I think they trade him but get something suitable in return not just trade him for the sake of trading him.

Edited by The Secret

Trade Him....not Leino style. Hudler can play, he can (and will) be valuable on another team but his seat was taken when he opted to leave for more money... too bad, so sad. You leave the best org in Pro Sports for more money to come crying back and find you are no longer a good fit... Loser! I think they trade him but get something suitable in return not just trade him for the sake of trading him.

I've got to think we could trade him for someone, but it'd be hard. Also, what's the point in trading for someone when there's no room for him on the team? Maybe 3rd round draft pick? A 2nd if we can find a team desperate enough? Is that even reasonable?

Hudler will not be dealt. I can say that with almost 100% certainty. Detroit does not give up on players. Hudler will have until his contract expires to turn this around. His role may change and he may not see much time on the ice but he will not be dealt (unless injuries occur and he becomes a cap casualty). He has too much potential and skill; the Wings have way too much time and development invested in him to turn him into a pick or prospects or whatever you'd get for him. He won't be dealt.

Hudler just looks really really slow and mentally retarded out there. He has zero defensive skills, gets knocked off the Puck all the time, and can't win battles on the boards. He is weak.

His saving grace is/was the fact that he could score and create plays. He isn't doing that so far this year.

Edited by nate94gt

I was the one who mentioned the Brown hit. I still think its true. He plays afraid.

That said, I do expect him to pick it up however long it may take. He really has no choice. Unlike Leino, his salary is a big downside risk and makes a trade unlikely. Also, If he finishes out his contract playing this poorly he may as well say goodbye to the NHL.

I was the one who mentioned the Brown hit. I still think its true. He plays afraid.

I don't see how that is true. He has been rocked trying to make plays out there and has been at least giving effort. He is just small and weak on the puck.

That said, I do expect him to pick it up however long it may take. He really has no choice. Unlike Leino, his salary is a big downside risk and makes a trade unlikely. Also, If he finishes out his contract playing this poorly he may as well say goodbye to the NHL.

Detroit traded Leino BECAUSE of the cap.

Hudler will likely be traded at the deadline if he does not shape up. No reason to trade him now when his value is at an all time low.

I don't see how that is true. He has been rocked trying to make plays out there and has been at least giving effort. He is just small and weak on the puck.

Hudler will likely be traded at the deadline if he does not shape up. No reason to trade him now when his value is at an all time low.

This, along with the fact that the Red Wings have gotten off to a solid start and know the Hudler has produced in the recent past. Whether being out of the league a year will continue to affect his play/lack thereof remains to be seen, but I don't see much need to pull a trigger on anything yet regarding this. Hudler's lack of production is frustrating and the right message is being sent in scratching him, but there's no need to make roster/personnel switches to this sense yet.

I don't understand all the picking on Hudler when Flippula is on pace for a 38 point season and has yet to have a break out season everyone here has been predicting for years on end. Ya he gets hot, but when hes cold, hes freezing.

And (almost) everyone was so happy Hudler was coming back...

I wasn't thrilled. :cool:

That said Hudler has a lot of time, nothing is going to happen while the team's winning. He'll get into a groove and start putting up points soon enough. He's been in the dog house before and fought his way out, don't see why it would be different this time(Although he's getting paid).

I have faith the front office will do what's best, I can understand keeping him or shipping him off if they can get some value.

His skill set says he should be on one of the top two lines, but who

do you move for him?

:hysterical:

Too Funny! He is done. "You call Detroit and you tell them bulls***! Trade me right f'ing now!"

Get the third rounder for him and par ways. We'll need the cap space when Draper comes back and then we will still have room for injury call ups (Tartar.) Sorry Huds, but you made your bed when you left for Russia. Mike Ilitch doesn't like being slapped in the face and pissed on (see: Fedorov.)

:hysterical:

Too Funny! He is done. "You call Detroit and you tell them bulls***! Trade me right f'ing now!"

Get the third rounder for him and par ways. We'll need the cap space when Draper comes back and then we will still have room for injury call ups (Tartar.) Sorry Huds, but you made your bed when you left for Russia. Mike Ilitch doesn't like being slapped in the face and pissed on (see: Fedorov.)

Wow, how you can compare the Federov and Hudler situation is beyond me. The Wings couldnt have kept Hudler's money on the books with last's years cap situation as they arbitration process completed Hudler left for Russia with the Wing's blessing. How you all blow the situation up into something it never was is ridiculous. If anything the way it played out was in our favour. Detroit would have had to move someone else (or Hudler himself) last season had he stayed a wing in 2009/10.

Hudler will not be dealt. I can say that with almost 100% certainty. Detroit does not give up on players. Hudler will have until his contract expires to turn this around. His role may change and he may not see much time on the ice but he will not be dealt (unless injuries occur and he becomes a cap casualty). He has too much potential and skill; the Wings have way too much time and development invested in him to turn him into a pick or prospects or whatever you'd get for him. He won't be dealt.

:blink: See: Leino, Kuznetsov, Fleishman, Ritola, Mattias. Ya, they don't give up on players. Bottom line, you don't produce and/or you can get us something better (Fleishman, Kuznetsov, Mattias) or cap relief (Leino, Ritola), you are out(Hudler.)

Maybe he can talk to Pasha about bulking himself up; look at how much Pavel strengthen himself up without hurting his overall a few years ago. I don't know how long Hudler's contract is, but if he has one more year, then he should train with Datsyuk over the off-season.

If this is his last year, then I probably wouldn't resign him. Other than that goal against the Avs, we haven't seen that scoring touch/luck from him in the 19 games the Wings have played. You gotta contribute to the team, and Hudler hasn't outside of the Avs game.

Wow, how you can compare the FederovFedorov and Hudler situation is beyond me. The Wings couldnt have kept Hudler's money on the books with last's years cap situation as they arbitration process completed Hudler left for Russia with the Wing's blessing. How you all blow the situation up into something it never was is ridiculous. If anything the way it played out was in our favour. Detroit would have had to move someone else (or Hudler himself) last season had he stayed a wing in 2009/10.

Listen, before Hudler left for Russia, he was offered a $3.5M contract in which he turned own and went to arbitration. He ran to Russia for more money and was awarded a lessor contract with the Wings than he was offered before arbitration. Now he runs back crying and doesn't produce, he will now be gone, because Mike Ilitch has the control, NOT the player.

The Fedorov comaprison? He turned down a contract from Ilitch, then later when he was offered a lessor one, he left for Anaheim. Then in 2008 when Fedorov wanted to come back via the trade deadline and even though some folks in the organization wanted him back, someone in the higer ups (possibly Ilitch) told Holland NO. Thats the only comparison. You don't spite the owner. Especially an owner with the power of Mr. Ilitch.

That being explained, have a great career Hudler, hope Russia was worth it! Trade him to the Island for a 2nd rouder, which will end up a pick in the 30's...

Edited by LeftWinger

How do you expect that his trade value would go up if he doesn't shape up? The point is Leino cost nothing for another team to take a chance on. It's an entirely different story with Huds. Unless Detroit bought out a portion of his salary why would anyone else want to pay his salary, especially if he didn't shape up.

Wow, how you can compare the Federov and Hudler situation is beyond me. The Wings couldnt have kept Hudler's money on the books with last's years cap situation as they arbitration process completed Hudler left for Russia with the Wing's blessing. How you all blow the situation up into something it never was is ridiculous. If anything the way it played out was in our favour. Detroit would have had to move someone else (or Hudler himself) last season had he stayed a wing in 2009/10.

You're trying to discuss with somebody who always responds like he's on a soapbox and has always obsessively hated Hudler even when he was doing good.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

How do you expect that his trade value would go up if he doesn't shape up?

There is a chance he will shape up and have value, so there is no need to dump him when his value is at an all time low.

The point is Leino cost nothing for another team to take a chance on. It's an entirely different story with Huds. Unless Detroit bought out a portion of his salary why would anyone else want to pay his salary, especially if he didn't shape up.

The point is waiting until the deadline gives him time to shape up at least a little, and that makes more sense than dumping him 20 games into the season.