73 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image

The Flyers had a point stolen from them by the Flames after Pronger, doing his best Holmstrom impression, stood in front of Kiprusoff. He then briefly stuck his hand out for about two seconds to block Kipper's view, and then the Flyers scored. Goal waived off and Pronger assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Flames later go on to win in the shootout. Why was this the wrong call?

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

Pronger wasn't facing Kipper. The Flames commentators said the call was very "gutsy", which probably means it wasn't the right one to make.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 26 November 2010 - 04:18 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 TheUkrainian

TheUkrainian

The Ukrainian One

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

I agree that the description of the call is crap, but I think it was right of them to take the goal back. Blocking the goalie with ones body or stick is one thing (while facing away from the goalie), but sticking your hand out to block a goalies view is stupid IMO.
Wish List: Stanley Cup!
100% pure Ukranian

#3 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

I feel like, if anything, this just illustrates the fact that the rule needs to change that wording. The 'Avery-intent' is there, he's just not facing him.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#4 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

I agree that the description of the call is crap, but I think it was right of them to take the goal back. Blocking the goalie with ones body or stick is one thing (while facing away from the goalie), but sticking your hand out to block a goalies view is stupid IMO.

how is using your torso to block a goalie's view any different than a hand?

#5 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

because one is pretty difficult and requires you maintain having your body outside of the crease, whereas if you're allowed to use your hand, you could reach and put it just in front of the goaltenders face, essentially turning it into a childish battle of "i'm not touching you!"

As for the Pronger call, I have mixed feelings. By the letter of the rule it was the wrong call. But it was still kind of in the spirit of the rule.

I still would've loved to have Pronger on the Wings, but he is really getting weird in his old age out there in Philly. Stealing pucks, now the hand thing...

#6 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

no love lost here, f*** pronger
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#7 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

Leave it to Pronger...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

I feel like the difference between the two is a thin line, but relates to being a product of play. Homer, for example, is camped in front with the intent of deflecting a puck. Don't get me wrong, obstructing the goalie's view is definitely helpful - it's not his sole intent but more so a product of what he's trying to do. In the instance of the Avery rule, in this case Pronger, his only purpose is to block the goalie's view.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it boils down to intentional vs. incidental.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#9 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

because one is pretty difficult and requires you maintain having your body outside of the crease, whereas if you're allowed to use your hand, you could reach and put it just in front of the goaltenders face, essentially turning it into a childish battle of "i'm not touching you!"

As for the Pronger call, I have mixed feelings. By the letter of the rule it was the wrong call. But it was still kind of in the spirit of the rule.

I still would've loved to have Pronger on the Wings, but he is really getting weird in his old age out there in Philly. Stealing pucks, now the hand thing...

No word if he stole the puck in this one, though :lol:

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#10 servo

servo

Where will we hang this one?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Stealing the puck was the only thing Pronger did that I ever admired him for. :D
I know exactly what I'm saying, so that when I'm fired, it won't be a slip of the tounge. Everything I say, I want to say. Don Cherry

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

Just goes to show you that only Homer can be Homer.

Puck Fronger.

#12 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

I still disagree with the call, however. The official waited until after the goal was scored to call the penalty. Pronger put his hand down a good full second before Richards even got a shot off.

#13 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

Flyer fans are stomping their feet and crying like babies after that call. I think it was the right call; it was unsportsmanship. Just because it isn't written in detail in the rule book doesn't mean it's not a penalty.

Is there anything in the rulebook that says players can't take their gloves off and pass 6 gloves around the ice like a puck to confuse the goalie where the puck actually is? No. Does that mean that players should be allowed to employ that tactic because it's not written? No.

Its unsportsman and cheating. Pronger tried to cheat, he got caught. Good call by the ref.

Edited by Heaten, 26 November 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#14 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:14 PM

It's a lot harder to move your body than your hand. Good call for the refs in my opinion.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#15 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hmm. A D-man who does not want to stand in front of a shot?????

#16 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Puck Fronger.

It's not his fault he's 6'6.

#17 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:20 PM

Stupid call. if you don't want someone doing that to your goalie, hit them out of the way or have the goalie do something about it.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#18 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

pinch much?

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#19 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

honestly, seeing the replay it looks like a pretty lame call.

Kipper couldn't see the shot because he was busy hacking Pronger in the back of the leg, not because Pronger's hand was in his face.

#20 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

You guys are nuts. Clearly ACCORDING TO THE RULE BOOK, that was the wrong call. You are all whining and calling foul ONLY because its Pronger and you all hate him. Don't let your biases cloud the fact that what he did was clearly within the rules 100%. I'm pretty sure he was the one to tip the pass too, its not like he was just gooning it up like Avery.

Seems like you are all whining without actually having seen the video. His hand is up for less than 1 second, nothing even remotely similar to what Avery did.

Just because you hate Pronger doesn't make it the right call.
Posted Image