• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Pronger falls victim to "Avery Rule"

Rate this topic

Most of you condemning this call either don't know or are pretending not to know that unsportsmanlike conduct can be called for any (get this now) conduct the referee deems to be unsportsmanlike. It doesn't need to be one of the examples listed in the rule book. It may have been a bad call, but to call it the wrong call seems a little presumptuous to me

Except the rule called on the ice was referenced to a rule that states a player must be facing the goalie, in which Pronger was not.

Except the rule called on the ice was referenced to a rule that states a player must be facing the goalie, in which Pronger was not.

Perhaps they should have called Toronto to determine which direction he was facing. Pronger is so tall that it is hard to remember what height his face and rump should be from the ice, and practically impossible to distinguish between them.

I can see that, but when it all comes to a head, blocking the goalies view is blocking the goalies view.

No, you can't. Assuming the play is on side, and the guy is not in the crease, the ref can't tell a guy where to stand. Screening the goalie is a time-honored tactic; waving your hands in front of him is a joke you pull on your buddies in practice.

Let me start with I hate Pronger, and the hand was clearly to obstruct the vision of the goalie, also he looked bush league just standing out there, Kipper was looking around him effectively and if he didn't stop to poke Pronger, would likely have stopped the shot.

Its where he clearly looks back to see if he is indeed screening Kipper with his hand.

The action of looking back shows that he is more intent on making sure he is blocking the goaltender's view, and not trying to deflect or play the puck.

If he was looking back to make sure he isn't in the crease, thats one thing, but he wasn't, i don't watch alot of Flyers games, but Pronger didn't look like Homer out there.

Current rules should have allowed this goal because of the facing language, but the loophole approach to the rules isn't the classy thing to do, so it's exactly what we should have expected from Pronger. I like finding a way to win, but I prefer talent over pee-wee tactics.

The rule should be changed to cover intentionally blocking the goalies view with your gloves or skates.

The key is intent, if they are looking back to check on the screen or obviously facing the goalie it should be called.

Screening because you are playing the puck, should be legal.

Thats my take on this, hate for it to happen to the Wings, but we have all come to expect those calls with Homer on the team.

Edited by Wingzman91

yah that was a bad call..shame too, because he was doing a great job of screening him, kind of looked likeholmer for a second. I have to say, ever since he left the ducks, I started to like him a little, he's a great player.

I haven't read or watched much coverage about this, so maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do you know which version of unsportsmanlike conduct he was calling?

Looks to me like he was pointing, trying to direct the play. It kind of looked like he was pointing with his stick before he stuck his hand out too.

That's what it looked like to me too. Really bad call. And I'm not one to defend Pronger.

yeah, i have mixed feelings on this one. my gut reaction is that it's a very bush league thing to do, and that i think it should get penalized. but on the replay, it's not like it goes on for a long time, kipper is wailing on him, and it stopped a significant amount of time before the shot was taken. it would be different if the ref called the penalty AS pronger was doing it, but the ref let them play and it seemed like he retroactively assessed the penalty. i don't know.

if this happened to a wing, i'd probably be really pissed. but it happened to pronger so i'm a little happy on the inside. just like the correy perry own-goal, couldn't have happened to a better jackass.

Pronger's a ******. You might give him a pass, if he hadn't done it twice. Watch him when the puck's on the left side (if we say the goal was scored from the right) maybe 5 seconds before the goal. He's not directing traffic, and it wasn't an "unconscious" thing.

According to the exact written rule, this was not ilegal and should not of been called. It was pure bulls*** hockey though and just as bad and detrimental to the spirit of the game though. This situation should be a red flag that this rule just needs to be changed since it is obviously possible to wave your glove in the goalies face with out facing the tender. This move both pronger and avery have made is "douchebaggery" at it's finest and I can't help but to give props to the refs for making the call because in the spirit of good hockey it was the right thing to do, no matter what the rule book says. I really doubt there is a rule in the book that says you can't squirt maple syrup in a goalie's eyes while in front of the net, so should that not be called either? I believe the refs should have the right to make calls like these when players try to find loopholes to cheat in new ways that arn't in the book.

According to the exact written rule, this was not ilegal and should not of been called. It was pure bulls*** hockey though and just as bad and detrimental to the spirit of the game though. This situation should be a red flag that this rule just needs to be changed since it is obviously possible to wave your glove in the goalies face with out facing the tender. This move both pronger and avery have made is "douchebaggery" at it's finest and I can't help but to give props to the refs for making the call because in the spirit of good hockey it was the right thing to do, no matter what the rule book says. I really doubt there is a rule in the book that says you can't squirt maple syrup in a goalie's eyes while in front of the net, so should that not be called either? I believe the refs should have the right to make calls like these when players try to find loopholes to cheat in new ways that arn't in the book.

It may not have fallen under the exact written "Avery rule" but it was still unsportsmanlike conduct. And that's what he was called for.