• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:43 AM

You are all whining and calling foul ONLY because its Pronger and you all hate him.

I'm confused, you're saying that like its a bad thing? :blink:

Pronger has no grounds for complaint, he should consider that a tiny fraction of payback for the 20 cross-checks he gets away with every game.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#42 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

Most of you condemning this call either don't know or are pretending not to know that unsportsmanlike conduct can be called for any (get this now) conduct the referee deems to be unsportsmanlike. It doesn't need to be one of the examples listed in the rule book. It may have been a bad call, but to call it the wrong call seems a little presumptuous to me

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#43 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:47 AM

Most of you condemning this call either don't know or are pretending not to know that unsportsmanlike conduct can be called for any (get this now) conduct the referee deems to be unsportsmanlike. It doesn't need to be one of the examples listed in the rule book. It may have been a bad call, but to call it the wrong call seems a little presumptuous to me

Wonder how long Homer is called for an unsportsmanlike penalty. Blocking the goaltenders view of the puck surely is unfair and therefore must be considered unsportsmanlike, right? :rolleyes:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#44 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

I hate Pronger worse than a case of head lice... but that was kind of funny. And I didn't think it was all that bad. But it was nice to see him in the box, anyway. :P

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#45 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

Terrible call. I hate Pronger but he only stuck his hand out for 1 second and it had no impact on the goal and didn't distract Kipper.
Do or do not. There is no try

#46 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:46 AM

You guys are nuts. Clearly ACCORDING TO THE RULE BOOK, that was the wrong call. You are all whining and calling foul ONLY because its Pronger and you all hate him. Don't let your biases cloud the fact that what he did was clearly within the rules 100%. I'm pretty sure he was the one to tip the pass too, its not like he was just gooning it up like Avery.

Seems like you are all whining without actually having seen the video. His hand is up for less than 1 second, nothing even remotely similar to what Avery did.

Just because you hate Pronger doesn't make it the right call.

Perhaps so, but Pronger has done little/nothing to help his standing in here or in general as one of the league's dirtiest players. Not suggesting that he changes his game to do that just to cater to fans which is absurd obviously, but don't act surprised when people don't really feel sorry for him in a situation like this given his past incidents, whether those instances or this call was fair or not.

#47 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

Wonder how long Homer is called for an unsportsmanlike penalty. Blocking the goaltenders view of the puck surely is unfair and therefore must be considered unsportsmanlike, right? :rolleyes:

You aren't getting the idea. A player can stand in front of the goalie in an effort to deflect pucks as well as try to screen the goalie. Waving your hand in front of the his face serves no other purpose but to block his view and it looks ridiculously bush league. Excellent call by the ref.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

You aren't getting the idea. A player can stand in front of the goalie in an effort to deflect pucks as well as try to screen the goalie. Waving your hand in front of the his face serves no other purpose but to block his view and it looks ridiculously bush league. Excellent call by the ref.

I can see that, but when it all comes to a head, blocking the goalies view is blocking the goalies view.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#49 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

Even though this is a penalty and not a suspension, it still falls inline with the NHL's suspension flow chart:

http://www.downgoesb...uspensions.html

#50 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

Even though this is a penalty and not a suspension, it still falls inline with the NHL's suspension flow chart:

http://www.downgoesb...uspensions.html

Damnit Pronger!

#51 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

Except the rule called on the ice was referenced to a rule that states a player must be facing the goalie, in which Pronger was not.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#52 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:35 PM

Except the rule called on the ice was referenced to a rule that states a player must be facing the goalie, in which Pronger was not.

Perhaps they should have called Toronto to determine which direction he was facing. Pronger is so tall that it is hard to remember what height his face and rump should be from the ice, and practically impossible to distinguish between them.

#53 evil204

evil204

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:19 PM

Looks to me like he was pointing, trying to direct the play. It kind of looked like he was pointing with his stick before he stuck his hand out too.

#54 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

I can see that, but when it all comes to a head, blocking the goalies view is blocking the goalies view.

No, you can't. Assuming the play is on side, and the guy is not in the crease, the ref can't tell a guy where to stand. Screening the goalie is a time-honored tactic; waving your hands in front of him is a joke you pull on your buddies in practice.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#55 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

Let me start with I hate Pronger, and the hand was clearly to obstruct the vision of the goalie, also he looked bush league just standing out there, Kipper was looking around him effectively and if he didn't stop to poke Pronger, would likely have stopped the shot.

Its where he clearly looks back to see if he is indeed screening Kipper with his hand.
The action of looking back shows that he is more intent on making sure he is blocking the goaltender's view, and not trying to deflect or play the puck.
If he was looking back to make sure he isn't in the crease, thats one thing, but he wasn't, i don't watch alot of Flyers games, but Pronger didn't look like Homer out there.

Current rules should have allowed this goal because of the facing language, but the loophole approach to the rules isn't the classy thing to do, so it's exactly what we should have expected from Pronger. I like finding a way to win, but I prefer talent over pee-wee tactics.

The rule should be changed to cover intentionally blocking the goalies view with your gloves or skates.
The key is intent, if they are looking back to check on the screen or obviously facing the goalie it should be called.
Screening because you are playing the puck, should be legal.

Thats my take on this, hate for it to happen to the Wings, but we have all come to expect those calls with Homer on the team.

Edited by Wingzman91, 27 November 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#56 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Don cherry just killed Pronger over this on HNIC

#57 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

yah that was a bad call..shame too, because he was doing a great job of screening him, kind of looked likeholmer for a second. I have to say, ever since he left the ducks, I started to like him a little, he's a great player.

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:14 PM

Recap?

#59 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

Whoa... Looks like Sasquatch will now be in the next Resident Evil game.

Posted Image

#60 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Posted Image

"If you're going to have a guy do that, you have a jerk on your club do it," he said. "You don't have a guy like Pronger [do it]."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sp...l#ixzz16Y4J5jcP

:blink: Uhh... What?