• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Icesurfer

Modano has severed flexor tendon

Rate this topic

Abdelkrasher with a little iFlip rotated in every now and then?

Well Draper returns next week-ish, so bringing up iFlip would just throw us into a deeper rotation. For the time being, the Modano injury actually gives Helm, Abby, and Hudler chances to play full time.

Still, it sucks ridiculously bad to see Modo suffer an injury like this.

People on other sites suggests this is his "career ending injury", why is that?

Because if it really did take 6 months for him to come back, that's pretty much the rest of the season, and we're talking about a guy who's 40 years old and was still trying to adjust to the speed of the Wings game.

I'm not saying that's the case, but it's not surprising people are speculating it could be the end of his career.

Not sounding good. Holland saying he'll be out a "significant" amount of time after Modano had surgery on the wrist last night.

Mlive: Modano out long term after surgery

If Mike severed his flexor tendon, it's definitely going to take closer to 3 months or more, I'd guess, for him to return. The flexor tendons in the forearm could be compared to the severity of a torn MCL or ACL (except that they don't bear any weight). Every movement of the hand is directly related to the flexors, and with some nerve damage, that just increases the injury. He'll have to go through a lot of PT afterwards to break up scar tissue and regain full range of motion, let alone strength in that arm.

Good luck, Mike. Get better quickly!

Edited by Miss Wing Queen

I was wondering why I didn't see him out there in the 3rd at the game last night. Hopefully he'll be back sooner than later. Thankfully this team has great depth so I think they'll be fine without him for a while.

Edited by Wings_Toledo

Guest mindfly

Doing some research here, same injury happend to Donald Audette some years ago, he never regained the same mobility in his arms after that,

2002/03/30 Missed 49 games (deep laceration on left wrist).

2001/12/01 Deep laceration on left wrist, sidelined indefinitely.

Ouch... :ranting:

more huds!

get better modano!

i actually read that he was cut last night and i was like hmm no big deal just a cut. now hes out like 4 months!

draper going on the road trip too mhmh

Edited by brett

Guest mindfly

I'm surprised there aren't more injuries involving skates, but also thankful at the same time. We can be thankful that the skate caught his wrist, instead of anywhere near his face/neck as has happened in the past.

You really realise how sharp those things are, and you think you are protected everywhere but there are still places that aren't...i wish all players would wear some kind of wrist/forearm protection but then they would complain it doesnt feel comfortable, same thing with the throat protector that is mandatory here in sweden until 18 or something if i remember correctly.

You really realise how sharp those things are, and you think you are protected everywhere but there are still places that aren't...i wish all players would wear some kind of wrist/forearm protection but then they would complain it doesnt feel comfortable, same thing with the throat protector that is mandatory here in sweden until 18 or something if i remember correctly.

Having played hockey before, yes.

Speaking of throat protectors, I think they should be mandatory for all goaltenders to wear. A goalie's throat is far too exposed without one.

Guest mindfly

If I were forced to make a prediction here, its that Z and Dats will be separated and Flip will go down to center the third line

Just based on abdelkaders poor faceoff ability or something else?

Having played hockey before, yes.

Speaking of throat protectors, I think they should be mandatory for all goaltenders to wear. A goalie's throat is far too exposed without one.

I played before as well but unfortunately i quit right before the game was getting faster and physical and more interesting in juniors, and when i played no one were cut or exposed to that ever and i never thought about it either..

Yea, the most dangerous thing on the ice is by far the skate. While you can break a bone by getting hit or falling, the skates can nearly kill someone. It's mostly lucky that it was his hand, because, at least that's not likely to be fatal, just VERY painful.

This happened at a bad time too, he was just starting to pick up the pace of the Wings' style of game.

Get Well Soon Mo!

Guest mindfly

Thanks for your time here Mike. :clap:

Haha sneaky GMR :cool:

Imagine if they put the money on Asham or similar player :hehe:

It's not the best player on the team that got injured but as one said earlier, abdelkaders faceoffs are a bit weak for him to center the third line

I guess that means Hudler, Miller and Eaves are all in. Good thing we didn't dump Huds like some people on here wanted to do yesterday....

Are you serious? You can't dump Hud's in a single night.

I wouldn't say good thing we didn't dump Hudler. I will say he's one lucky Mofo now, since this buys him a few weeks/months to get his s*** together.

This is bad for Modano. It's good for Hudler, but if he doesn't step up now that he's got a spot in the lineup, his career in Detroit will come to an end this year.

One man's injury is another man's opportunity in the NHL. I just hope Hudler starts producing. With Modano out he might even see some PP time, and that may be what he needs to kick it up. Guess we'll see. I'm not one of the people who advocates trading Hudler, but I have advocated considering it if he hasn't picked up pace by the Trade Deadline.

Seriously, this is probably Hudlers last shot, pending we don't get all banged up *Knock on wood*.

Hope MO recovers fast.

Well Draper returns next week-ish, so bringing up iFlip would just throw us into a deeper rotation. For the time being, the Modano injury actually gives Helm, Abby, and Hudler chances to play full time.

Still, it sucks ridiculously bad to see Modo suffer an injury like this.

Fixed it for yah ;)

Just based on abdelkaders poor faceoff ability or something else?

I played before as well but unfortunately i quit right before the game was getting faster and physical and more interesting in juniors, and when i played no one were cut or exposed to that ever and i never thought about it either..

Not just his poor faceoff ability (which is an important reason why he shouldn't be third line center, as faceoffs are the key to the style of offense the wings use), with out Modono on the third line the line loses some of its offensive and defensive punch, Flip would be the best fit of all the centers on the roster.

Guest mindfly

Oh yeah modano out also leaves a point man spot open on the 2nd pp-unit, stuart sure made a nice pass to flip on the pp the other night... GWG too.

Edited by mindfly

Oh yeah modano out also leaves a point man spot open on the 2nd pp-unit, stuart sure made a nice pass to flip on the pp the other night... GWG too.

It'd be nice to see Ericsson on the point with his 100 MPH shot, but he severely lacks the Weber/Souray killer instinct when it comes to shooting from the point.

Guest mindfly

It'd be nice to see Ericsson on the point with his 100 MPH shot, but he severely lacks the Weber/Souray killer instinct when it comes to shooting from the point.

Ericsson is like kronwall (although kronwall got other great qualities on the point) with horrible accuracy in the slapshot, stuart is the better choice for now, experience, better passer and can hit the net atleast.

Modano's contract bonuses:

150K for 40 games played

100K for 55 games played

125K for Round 1 playoff win

125K for Round 2 playoff win

So if he comes back in time for the playoffs he could still get 250K in bonuses, which probably will be deferred to next year's cap the way the cap is going this year.

The Hudler-Abby-Cleary line will be a good one..... let's hope.