109 replies to this topic

#41 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for your time here Mike. :clap:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#42 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yea, the most dangerous thing on the ice is by far the skate. While you can break a bone by getting hit or falling, the skates can nearly kill someone. It's mostly lucky that it was his hand, because, at least that's not likely to be fatal, just VERY painful.

This happened at a bad time too, he was just starting to pick up the pace of the Wings' style of game.

Get Well Soon Mo!

#43 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for your time here Mike. :clap:

Haha sneaky GMR :cool:

Imagine if they put the money on Asham or similar player :hehe:

It's not the best player on the team that got injured but as one said earlier, abdelkaders faceoffs are a bit weak for him to center the third line

#44 truebladearmy

truebladearmy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

I guess that means Hudler, Miller and Eaves are all in. Good thing we didn't dump Huds like some people on here wanted to do yesterday....

Are you serious? You can't dump Hud's in a single night.

I wouldn't say good thing we didn't dump Hudler. I will say he's one lucky Mofo now, since this buys him a few weeks/months to get his s*** together.

This is bad for Modano. It's good for Hudler, but if he doesn't step up now that he's got a spot in the lineup, his career in Detroit will come to an end this year.

One man's injury is another man's opportunity in the NHL. I just hope Hudler starts producing. With Modano out he might even see some PP time, and that may be what he needs to kick it up. Guess we'll see. I'm not one of the people who advocates trading Hudler, but I have advocated considering it if he hasn't picked up pace by the Trade Deadline.

Seriously, this is probably Hudlers last shot, pending we don't get all banged up *Knock on wood*.

Hope MO recovers fast.

#45 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:56 PM

Well Draper returns next week-ish, so bringing up iFlip would just throw us into a deeper rotation. For the time being, the Modano injury actually gives Helm, Abby, and Hudler chances to play full time.

Still, it sucks ridiculously bad to see Modo suffer an injury like this.

Fixed it for yah ;)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#46 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Just based on abdelkaders poor faceoff ability or something else?

I played before as well but unfortunately i quit right before the game was getting faster and physical and more interesting in juniors, and when i played no one were cut or exposed to that ever and i never thought about it either..

Not just his poor faceoff ability (which is an important reason why he shouldn't be third line center, as faceoffs are the key to the style of offense the wings use), with out Modono on the third line the line loses some of its offensive and defensive punch, Flip would be the best fit of all the centers on the roster.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#47 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

Oh yeah modano out also leaves a point man spot open on the 2nd pp-unit, stuart sure made a nice pass to flip on the pp the other night... GWG too.

Edited by mindfly, 27 November 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#48 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

Oh yeah modano out also leaves a point man spot open on the 2nd pp-unit, stuart sure made a nice pass to flip on the pp the other night... GWG too.

It'd be nice to see Ericsson on the point with his 100 MPH shot, but he severely lacks the Weber/Souray killer instinct when it comes to shooting from the point.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#49 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

It'd be nice to see Ericsson on the point with his 100 MPH shot, but he severely lacks the Weber/Souray killer instinct when it comes to shooting from the point.

Ericsson is like kronwall (although kronwall got other great qualities on the point) with horrible accuracy in the slapshot, stuart is the better choice for now, experience, better passer and can hit the net atleast.

#50 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Modano's contract bonuses:

150K for 40 games played

100K for 55 games played

125K for Round 1 playoff win

125K for Round 2 playoff win

So if he comes back in time for the playoffs he could still get 250K in bonuses, which probably will be deferred to next year's cap the way the cap is going this year.

The Hudler-Abby-Cleary line will be a good one..... let's hope.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#51 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Fixed it for yah ;)

Haha, thanks! In all honesty, my first post should say Miller, Eaves, and Hudler. I have no idea why I said Abby and Helm.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#52 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Probably six months at a minimum.

What exactly is that based on? Just your pessimism? The doctors aren't saying but you must have some inside information that you can share with us.
Do or do not. There is no try

#53 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

Ericsson is like kronwall (although kronwall got other great qualities on the point) with horrible accuracy in the slapshot, stuart is the better choice for now, experience, better passer and can hit the net atleast.

I'd rather Stuart spend his TOI shutting down people though. He's a serviceable guy for the PP but not for more than a few games.

#54 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

Are you serious? You can't dump Hud's in a single night.

I wouldn't say good thing we didn't dump Hudler. I will say he's one lucky Mofo now, since this buys him a few weeks/months to get his s*** together.

This is bad for Modano. It's good for Hudler, but if he doesn't step up now that he's got a spot in the lineup, his career in Detroit will come to an end this year.

One man's injury is another man's opportunity in the NHL. I just hope Hudler starts producing. With Modano out he might even see some PP time, and that may be what he needs to kick it up. Guess we'll see. I'm not one of the people who advocates trading Hudler, but I have advocated considering it if he hasn't picked up pace by the Trade Deadline.

Seriously, this is probably Hudlers last shot, pending we don't get all banged up *Knock on wood*.

Hope MO recovers fast.

My point is that this is exactly why Kenny has no intention of trading Huds even at the trade deadline. Huds sitting on the bench is better than a couple prospects for GR. It's a long season, s*** happens. Fortunately Kenny knows this and fortunately all the people that wanted to run Huds out of town after he only played 15 games have no say in the matter.

If we had dumped Huds, Drapes would be playing full time and that would not be pretty so yes, it is a good thing that we still have Huds.

Last year, Kenny was dying to bring Abby up for the playoffs. Who is that guy this year? Exactly...nobody.
Do or do not. There is no try

#55 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

I'm calling it now. Abdelkader with 20+ points in 30-35 games with that line.

If I were forced to make a prediction here, its that Z and Dats will be separated and Flip will go down to center the third line

Hudler on the wing opposite Cleary with pretty much any center the Wings have except Modano is a better fit than Mo. So while this sucks for Mo, it's a great opportunity for Rex; he'll get more time and play with people he has better chemistry with. It's a twofer.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#56 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:12 PM

Eva to the rescue!

Why can't you see hudler is a fail signing and won't get any better, from game 1 through 20 he has sucked every single game

Edited by mindfly, 27 November 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#57 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

Last year, Kenny was dying to bring Abby up for the playoffs. Who is that guy this year? Exactly...nobody.

I can tell ya who Kenny wants to bring up if the Wings need an injury replacement;

Doug Janik or Derek Meech. Or Joey MacDonald.

Hmm...I see your point.

#58 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

Eva to the rescue!

Why can't you see hudler is a fail signing and won't get any better, from game 1 through 20 he has sucked every single game

He's sucked every game?

He's been named one of the three stars once or twice...how bad was the rest of the team those games then?

Hudler has not been as good as he is expected to be, or as good as he has the skill to be. He has been better than his numbers suggest. But a big part of his slow start is the fact that Modano is about the worst type of player for Hudler to play with. I have been over this before in other threads. Hudler has excellent chemistry with Filppula that has displayed itself since the two entered the league. Although they don't have the same skill level, they might even click better than Dats and Z - Flip and Huds were both in a slump until Babs put Huds on Flip's wing. Immediately that line took off because of the connection between those two.

I've been saying Flip and Huds should be paired together since the summer. It's a natural fit. Ignore it if you will, but it just plain works.

#59 Creasemonkey

Creasemonkey

Goaltender for Hire

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Every time we sign a washed up Michigan born player who also happens to be a former captain of the Stars, they end up with a multi-month injury. All both of them. Boo.

#60 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

i wouldn't mind filppula being dropped down to the 3rd
but then it would break up BFF :(