• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ricky0034

massive lead for Detroit now

Rate this topic

So osgood has been away almost a month with what originally was "just felt tight in the groin in practice, take a couple of days off and see how it goes" basically...can't be easy being 38.

Ha yeah too true! Although for a goaltender you wouldn't risk it if it was a groin of all things. Also makes me fear for Modano, with his injury. Ken and Mickey were talking last night and Mickey thinks that Mo might take it as his last game?! Hope he recovers well even at 40!

Ha yeah too true! Although for a goaltender you wouldn't risk it if it was a groin of all things. Also makes me fear for Modano, with his injury. Ken and Mickey were talking last night and Mickey thinks that Mo might take it as his last game?! Hope he recovers well even at 40!

hypothetically...if Modano did end up retiring because of this injury, what would happen to his cap hit? would the wings be able to take his salary off the books?

Which brings up another question...say a guy signs a 2-year deal at age 36, then suffers a career ending injury during the first year of the contract and is forced to retire. Does the team still have to keep his cap hit for the next season?

considering that that is a bigger lead over #2 than #2 has over #13 yes it is....

Our lead over Dallas is about .3. Dallas's lead over #13 is about .2.

Again, that's not massive. All it takes is a short losing streak and we're in the middle of the conference, not leading it. A massive lead would be something along the order of 2.3 v. 1.3.

Guest mindfly

Agreed :ph34r: with the exception of maybe WSH

And philly and pittsburgh and boston..............

1.5 v. 1.2 = massive?

Our lead over Dallas is about .3. Dallas's lead over #13 is about .2.

Again, that's not massive. All it takes is a short losing streak and we're in the middle of the conference, not leading it. A massive lead would be something along the order of 2.3 v. 1.3.

It is massive if it is projected out over the course of an 82 game season. If all of the paces hold where they are (unlikely but that is what the difference is supposed to show) it would be 24 pts / 12 wins over second place in the conference which yes would be massive. I agree that 2.3 v. 1.3 would be more massive but is not even in the realm of possibility that would have the Wings with a 189 point season and second place with a 106 point season. While that is massive it is not possible to get 2.3 points per game which would require more than 94 wins in a season (and would be 41 wins more than the 1.3 team). I know you weren't stating that this would be possible, I'm merely pointing out that within the confines of what is actually achievable getting .3 more points per game than your nearest opponent is indeed massive.

And philly and pittsburgh and boston..............

Not Boston, unless they start scoring, along with Montreal. Their record will begin to suffer. Washington has a lot of trouble on the road. basically only Philly and Pittsburgh are legit in the East and out of those two teams, Pittsburgh is the only one with a winning record against the West.

Guest mindfly

Not Boston, unless they start scoring, along with Montreal. Their record will begin to suffer. Washington has a lot of trouble on the road. basically only Philly and Pittsburgh are legit in the East and out of those two teams, Pittsburgh is the only one with a winning record against the West.

They will start scoring once savard etc gets back, they have one of the best defences, best goalie duo, and solid top and bottom lines and plays a hard tough game.

hypothetically...if Modano did end up retiring because of this injury, what would happen to his cap hit? would the wings be able to take his salary off the books?

Which brings up another question...say a guy signs a 2-year deal at age 36, then suffers a career ending injury during the first year of the contract and is forced to retire. Does the team still have to keep his cap hit for the next season?

I'm not sure what the ruling is. There is some rule in affect whereby a cap hit is taken off the books for a career ending injury, but I don't know if its only for players signing under/over a certain age, or if its got something to do with the length of the contract. I'd say being 40 and being forced to retire would mean that we still take his hit, as there's a far greater risk of retirement and injury anyway (compared to a 30 year old who signs a 10 year contract and then is forced to retire a year later). Not too sure though but that's my take on it.