• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

ESPN: J-Ho no sophmore slump

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

A good goalie should have higher sv% than .913, simple as that. It's not reasonable to have 20shots against and osgood/dom in the net á 07/08, simply just too good to be true, that year was special.

Edited by mindfly

A good goalie should have higher sv% than .913, simple as that. It's not reasonable to have 20shots against and osgood/dom in the net á 07/08, simply just too good to be true, that year was special.

2007/2008 - Dominik Hasek: 0.902 SV%

You were saying?

Guest mindfly

Did i say hasek was good that year? no. The Defense that year was extremely good, thanks to mclellan, prime-lidstrom etc, allowing very few shots per game so that sv% didn't have to be as good.

Howie has done the deed this year so far. The play in front of him has been exceptional yes, but I definitely feel like he is going to continue getting stronger in the warmer months (ie. March, April ya know playoffs and such). Keep it up Jimmy. Knew you would come out determined just like the rest of the squad has this year.

Did i say hasek was good that year? no. The Defense that year was extremely good, thanks to mclellan, prime-lidstrom etc, allowing very few shots per game so that sv% didn't have to be as good.

So now you're blaming the defense? I thought it was Howard that was the problem. Make up your mind.

Sidenote: Aside from +/- Lids is on pace to best his 07/08 season. Keep in mind that number this year hasn't been what it normally is due to the shuffling of his partner quite often.

Guest mindfly

So now you're blaming the defense? I thought it was Howard that was the problem. Make up your mind.

Howard is a little problem now, minor problem, because the defense is not as good as in 07/08 (just compare the average shots against) the goaltenders were good enough in 07/08 (won jennings trophy as lowest GAA) because the defense was so good allowing so few shots and being so sound overall, if howard would have had a 92-94 sv% today the wings' would be that much better, just saying.

Edited by mindfly

Howard is a little problem now, minor problem, because the defense is not as good as in 07/08 (just compare the average shots against) the goaltenders were good enough in 07/08 (won jennings trophy as lowest GAA) because the defense was so good allowing so few shots and being so sound overall, if howard would have had a 92-94 sv% today the wings' would be that much better, just saying.

Typical mindly. You get a 4-caret diamond and complain that its not a 5.

The defense was banged up early in the year and there was tons shuffling going on. If they stay healthy the remainder of the season, you're going to continue to see the average shot total and GAA shrink. There's simply too much talent up and down this roster (and that includes Howard) for it to go any other way.

Lastly, I'm most certainly not saying one should be complacent when things are going well, but your M.O. has always been to nitpick at the one thing the Wings aren't doing perfectly, when the fact of the matter is that every other NHL team seems to have atleast 3-4. I'm fairly confident Babs is well aware of the teams' current GAA and SA totals and is working to correct them to a level near past years' squads.

Do you actually like the wings? Everything you post is so damn negative. Get real.

Do you actually like the wings? Everything you post is so damn negative. Get real.

He is extremely negative about Howard, and it gets fricken old. The dude expects perfection, out of the hardest position in the sport (maybe even sports). Howard wins games along with the team in front of him. When I watch games I don't see the team and think, "damn howard sure is lucky that team is in front of him or he'd be horrible." I think that Howard is an above average goaltender in a league full of mediocre goaltenders and very few amazing goaltenders. Mindfly seems to just need to complain or his head explodes from all the negative thoughts building up.

Guest mindfly

I love the wings, but i still like to discuss what they can improve, isn't this a discussion forum?

I love the wings, but i still like to discuss what they can improve, isn't this a discussion forum?

You bet it is. That's not the point.

The fact of the matter is you find these little areas that the Wings aren't leading the NHL in and then try to blow them up bigger than life as if they not only have zero shot at winning the Cup, but even winning a single game. It's annoying...and pathetic.

Guest mindfly

You bet it is. That's not the point.

The fact of the matter is you find these little areas that the Wings aren't leading the NHL in and then try to blow them up bigger than life as if they not only have zero shot at winning the Cup, but even winning a single game. It's annoying...and pathetic.

You are entitled to think like that, but i'm sure mike babcock would love to see jimmy step it up more because defense wins championships and howard must be better come playoff time.

Thats like saying "I love my wife but i like to nitpick her so she can improve upon herself", pretty sure that wouldn't last too long. Yea thats an extreme and a diff kind of love of the wings but everyone else here loves the wings too and they don't like hearing someone nitpick and spout crap about the team they love. Some of it may be warranted but no where near as much as you write.

You are entitled to think like that, but i'm sure mike babcock would love to see jimmy step it up more because defense wins championships and howard must be better come playoff time.

Of course he would. Who wouldn't want their goaltender to "step it up more" at any given time? The fact of the matter is that while 0.915% isn't 0.940%, its not as if its 0.890% (which is how you're coming off).

Just like any playoff run, typically every team defense engages and the shots against number goes down and teams fight harder to clear the crease. A fair amount of goalies follow suit with their level of play and we all hope Jimmmy will too. *At this point of the season* knocking his rookie playoff campaign where he still finished with a 0.915 SV% playing in front of a tired team, IMO is just stupid.

If the defense and Jimmy continue to allow 2.6+ GA consistently a month before the playoffs, then you'll have something *legitimate* to whine about.

Thats like saying "I love my wife but i like to nitpick her so she can improve upon herself", pretty sure that wouldn't last too long. Yea thats an extreme and a diff kind of love of the wings but everyone else here loves the wings too and they don't like hearing someone nitpick and spout crap about the team they love. Some of it may be warranted but no where near as much as you write.

:siren:

Guest mindfly

His GAA and SV% would be hire if his team didn't leave him out to dry in the garbage time of games.

Such a common opinion around here, get a reality check around the league, carey price got a much worse team still he has a lot better numbers than howard, a goalie is allowed to be good and win games even if they defense on that particular night is sub-par, you know?

Edited by mindfly

Guest scottj

Montreal's not even doing that bad good, "much worse team" is a lil bit of a stretch ya think?

Hey guys, I figured out a way to get mindfly out of here... just post this picture:

042109carey.jpg

and he'll go running to fap in the bathroom

It'll only last for about 2-10 minutes depending on how romantic he wants to get in his fantasies, but it's better than nothing!

Edited by scottj

So is it more about Howard or Price? I have seen you around always wanting Price and wishing we traded for him... i don't get this sentiment. I believe price is a damn good goaltender too but he plays in a completely different system. I don't really want to go into the difference in systems and the different types of saves a goalie has to make in the systems because it will fall on deaf ears but there is a large difference.

Such a common opinion around here, get a reality check around the league, carey price got a much worse team still he has a lot better numbers than howard, a goalie is allowed to be good and win games even if they defense on that particular night is sub-par, you know?

and boom goes the dynamite... you seriously need to let it go about Price...

Also, your logic is flawed - Montreal has played pretty well in front of him this year and he is actually facing less shots than Howard, averaged off of minutes played:

Jimmy also appears to be mentally stronger than Price (granted the jury is still out), but look at Price's down year and how he reacted to the media... Howard seems pretty damn good at letting things roll off his back thus far...

Howard:

Shots faced per minute: 2.08

GP / W / L / OT / Min. / GA / SA / GAA / PCT / SO / PIM / OTGA / OTW / SOS / SOG

18 / 14 / 2 / 2 / 1073 / 45 / 517 / 2.52 / .913 / 1 / 2 / 1 / 3 / 6 / 1

Price:

Shots faced per minute: 1.99

GP / W / L / OT / Min. / GA / SA / GAA / PCT / SO / PIM / OTGA / OTW / SOS / SOG

23 / 14 / 7 / 2 / 1383 / 47 / 696 / 2.04 / .932 / 4 / 0 / 2 / 1 / - / -

The fact of the matter is, I would rather have Howard in Detroit than Price and that is not to say he is a better goalie, but he damn well fits the city and the team better.

Guest mindfly

and boom goes the dynamite... you seriously need to let it go about Price...

Also, your logic is flawed - Montreal has played pretty well in front of him this year and he is actually facing less shots than Howard, averaged off of minutes played:

Jimmy also appears to be mentally stronger than Price (granted the jury is still out), but look at Price's down year and how he reacted to the media... Howard seems pretty damn good at letting things roll off his back thus far...

Howard:

Shots faced per minute: 2.08

18 / 14 / 2 / 2 / 1073 / 45 / 517 / 2.52 / .913 / 1 / 2 / 1 / 3 / 6 / 1

Price:

Shots faced per minute: 1.99

23 / 14 / 7 / 2 / 1383 / 47 / 696 / 2.04 / .932 / 4 / 0 / 2 / 1 / - / -

The fact of the matter is, I would rather have Howard in Detroit than Price and that is not to say he is a better goalie, but he damn well fits the city and the team better.

BS, it's not even fair comparing the montreal media and pressure compared to detroit... it's a totally different game. I'm sure Howard would have been eaten alive if they had switched howard with price, playing with the thought.

Edited by mindfly

BS, it's not even fair comparing the montreal media and pressure compared to detroit... it's a totally different game.

Coming from someone who doesn't live in Detroit and have you ever even been to Montreal?

I live in the metro Detroit area and have my whole life and I've spent a bit of time in Montreal for hockey tournaments and a senior trip for french class... and don't get me wrong, they are NOT easy on the Habs there, but if you HONESTLY think the Detroit media is ONE IOTA easier on the starting goalie here in Detroit, you have no idea what you're talking about... it's the oldest joke in the book here - the two best jobs in Detroit are the backup goalie for the Wings and the backup QB for the Lions...

EDIT - See CuJo.

I'm sure Howard would have been eaten alive if they had switched howard with price, playing with the thought.

To reply to your edit - to assume that is asinine.

Edited by stevkrause

Guest mindfly

The toughest job in pro sports is being the goalie for the habs, that's well known as far as i know.

Edited by mindfly

The toughest job in pro sports is being the goalie for the habs, that's well known as far as i know.

according to Montreal...

Ask a NY Yankee closing pitcher and their fans how they feel about that, or a Dallas Cowboys QB and their fans, or an LA Lakers PG and their fans...

The job, the scrutiny, the media, nor the pressure is any easier here in Detroit... ask Tim Cheveldae, Glen Hanlon, Bob Essensa, etc...

Such a common opinion around here, get a reality check around the league, carey price got a much worse team still he has a lot better numbers than howard

I realize everybody is clamouring for a sub 2.00 GAA and a .935 SV percentage but numbers like that are becoming rare over the course of a full season. Ultimately, all that matters are wins and as of right now Howard's wins per games started is 77.84 percent while Price sits at 60.90 percent.

Talk up Carey Price all you want, I'm content with Howard so far.