• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:09 AM

Just looking at the ballots so far for the All-Star Game and I just can't believe it. I mean, I realise it's not the first time the fans vote format has resulted in some dubious outcomes, but just how the f*** is Jonathan Toews the third vote-getter for forwards and fourth overall? Don't get me wrong, I've always respected JT a lot and I admire his game very much. I also have to admit, I haven't watched too much Blackhawks hockey this season, but come on... the guy is 87th in the NHL for points/game with 19 points in 26 games. I realise it's not all about points but the guy would need to be playing goalie, coaching the team and have a 100% face-off percentage to be worthy of 3rd for all forwards.

It's almost... almost Rory Fitzpatrick-esque.

Also, taking a look down at defense and you see Duncan Keith leading D-men. This also made me laugh. Again, I'm a huge fan of his -- never said a bad word about him last season, but it's been widely publicised that he's had a terrible start to the season by his standards. Yet he sits above guys like Nick.

It's become quite clear that Hawks fans are just running rampant on this vote, especially with Toews. We gotta get Dats, Hank and Lids up above this garbage.

http://vote.nhl.com/
Rough as guts.

#2 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:29 AM

It's almost as bad as the FSN-D Mcdonald's player of the game vote.

"Cleary with a 3 point night...our McDonald's player of the game is Henrik Zetterberg!"

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#3 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

"Cleary with a 3 point night...our McDonald's player of the game is Henrik Zetterberg!"

Haha!

Well, just like Sprite used to say, "Image is Everything."

I'm sure Toews has quite the extensive fan base in Canada. They look upon him as the next Yzerman as in the complete two-way player who is good looking; has somewhat of a charm with the media and has enough composure on the ice that he doesn't look like a jackass during confrontational moments. Plus, a good playoff performance will always remain in people's minds and he was the Conn Smythe winner.

It's kind of like how Team Sweden last year called Zetterberg the best Swedish player around Olympic time. Mostly everybody around here on LGW.com thought, "What? They're kidding, right?" Because based on how he played the regular season a lot of us thought he was pretty far away from that kind of distinction. At least he had the humility to say, "They obviously haven't seen me play this year".

#4 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:20 AM

Meh, let our guys sit out. Let the Hawks players exhaust themselves. I mean, they're probably going to miss the playoffs, let them have the day to 'play'

#5 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:21 AM

Who cares, the ASG is stupid anyway.

It's downright retarded that J-Ho didn't even have an official nomination while Niemi and Fleury did. Not that I'd expect him to play in the game but he sure deserves a better shot at it. Good to see so many write-in votes for him.

#6 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:33 AM

I hate to say it like this, but don't you think it's more a popularity contest than a quality contest? As was said above, it's about image. And who has been plastered across the TV since June? Toews and Keith, not to mention others who will remain nameless (but nothing changes in regards to that). I was miffed that Howie didn't get on the ballot seeing as he was a Calder finalist and everything, but I look at the same way as mentioned above--if our guys don't get in, at least that'll be energy saved for the finish towards April and beyond.

#7 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

It's a media-driven event and hasn't featured the best players in a long time... who watches this anyway? :unsure: Too many blatant snubs and bias for me - the numbers don't lie, and players who should absolutely be there based on their performances are passed over for political and commercial reasons.

Not watching. Don't care. <_<

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#8 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

Definitely a popularity contest. Would explain why certain players get ridiculous amounts of votes.

(Vote for BizNasty. :P)

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#9 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:18 AM

These are only the top starting 5... remember there will be two captains picking players to each team.

so i would be surprised if they dont pick pavs, z Liy and even Howeeyy
To whom much is given, much is expected

#10 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

Claude Giroux is ahead of all of our forwards and he's a write-in candidate. WTF?

Edited by skyphoenix, 30 November 2010 - 03:20 PM.

Posted Image

#11 truebladearmy

truebladearmy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

It's become quite clear that Hawks fans are just running rampant on this vote, especially with Toews. We gotta get Dats, Hank and Lids up above this garbage.

http://vote.nhl.com/

IMO, no we don't. All-Star voting is flawed anyway. You can vote over and over and over again if you want. Secondly, it's a popularity contest anyway. I don't even pay attention to the All-Star game.

I like the skills competition, but other than that, I'd be happy if NO Redwings even played in the All-Star game. Take the time off. This is a cup run year anyway.

#12 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

The only people that vote for the all-star game are Montreal fans lol
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

In 2009, there weren't any Wings in the All Star Game.

Now that was funny.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

Looking thru that list, just makes me laugh.

#15 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:52 AM

With the way captains are picking teams this year, don't be shocked if Crosby and Ovechkin are selected as the captains by the NHL brass. With the whole East vs. West thing off their backs, they can do it now.

Also, it's a complete joke that Fleury was even nominated. He's mostly played like horses**t so far this year.

Edited by F2B&G, 01 December 2010 - 02:55 AM.

#16 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:21 AM

I believe the role of PotG stealer belongs to Filppula. I swear it's the teenage girls in the audience who vote for that sometimes. If Val gets 2pts one night someone else will need 5 to unseat him. :lol:

Also, it's a complete joke that Fleury was even nominated. He's mostly played like horses**t so far this year in his NHL career.

Fixed it for you.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#17 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

The allstar game is af****** JOKE...fitting that the fan vote is worse...f*** the allstar game...hard.

#18 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

Also, it's a complete joke that Fleury was even nominated. He's mostly played like horses**t so far this year.

I wouldn't call it a nomination, he's on the ballot, along with 100 or so other guys. The reason he is on there is simple, we won the cup 2 years ago (and had awesome numbers during those playoffs). Do I think he deserves to make the all star team this year....NO, do I think he will make the team this year....NO. I don't care if he's on the ballot or not, he won't make the team, so what's the big deal?

There is no question he has s*** the bed pretty big early in the season, but he is 8-0-1 in his last 9 games with a 1.64GAA and .944SV%.

This is why you have guys like Toews and Keith high up there in votes as well, bit of a spill over from the cup winning season last year....which again, I don't have a problem with. Why would you select an allstar team based on how guys do 20 games into a season? What about the 40+ games they played the year before after last year's all star game, shouldnt' that count for something?

In 2009, there weren't any Wings in the All Star Game.

Now that was funny.

But it wasn't because no Wings made the team.

#19 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

With the way captains are picking teams this year, don't be shocked if Crosby and Ovechkin are selected as the captains by the NHL brass. With the whole East vs. West thing off their backs, they can do it now.

I'm still hoping that Staal gets picked as captain since it's in Raleigh. Hell, anybody but Crybaby 87 and Ovechkin.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#20 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

I'm still hoping that Staal gets picked as captain since it's in Raleigh. Hell, anybody but Crybaby 87 and Ovechkin.

Staal's had a pretty impressive all-star game history so it'd definitely be cool to see him get that reward on his home ice.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft