• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Doggy

All-Star Voting

Rate this topic

Just looking at the ballots so far for the All-Star Game and I just can't believe it. I mean, I realise it's not the first time the fans vote format has resulted in some dubious outcomes, but just how the f*** is Jonathan Toews the third vote-getter for forwards and fourth overall? Don't get me wrong, I've always respected JT a lot and I admire his game very much. I also have to admit, I haven't watched too much Blackhawks hockey this season, but come on... the guy is 87th in the NHL for points/game with 19 points in 26 games. I realise it's not all about points but the guy would need to be playing goalie, coaching the team and have a 100% face-off percentage to be worthy of 3rd for all forwards.

It's almost... almost Rory Fitzpatrick-esque.

Also, taking a look down at defense and you see Duncan Keith leading D-men. This also made me laugh. Again, I'm a huge fan of his -- never said a bad word about him last season, but it's been widely publicised that he's had a terrible start to the season by his standards. Yet he sits above guys like Nick.

It's become quite clear that Hawks fans are just running rampant on this vote, especially with Toews. We gotta get Dats, Hank and Lids up above this garbage.

http://vote.nhl.com/

It's almost as bad as the FSN-D Mcdonald's player of the game vote.

"Cleary with a 3 point night...our McDonald's player of the game is Henrik Zetterberg!"

Haha!

Well, just like Sprite used to say, "Image is Everything."

I'm sure Toews has quite the extensive fan base in Canada. They look upon him as the next Yzerman as in the complete two-way player who is good looking; has somewhat of a charm with the media and has enough composure on the ice that he doesn't look like a jackass during confrontational moments. Plus, a good playoff performance will always remain in people's minds and he was the Conn Smythe winner.

It's kind of like how Team Sweden last year called Zetterberg the best Swedish player around Olympic time. Mostly everybody around here on LGW.com thought, "What? They're kidding, right?" Because based on how he played the regular season a lot of us thought he was pretty far away from that kind of distinction. At least he had the humility to say, "They obviously haven't seen me play this year".

Who cares, the ASG is stupid anyway.

It's downright retarded that J-Ho didn't even have an official nomination while Niemi and Fleury did. Not that I'd expect him to play in the game but he sure deserves a better shot at it. Good to see so many write-in votes for him.

I hate to say it like this, but don't you think it's more a popularity contest than a quality contest? As was said above, it's about image. And who has been plastered across the TV since June? Toews and Keith, not to mention others who will remain nameless (but nothing changes in regards to that). I was miffed that Howie didn't get on the ballot seeing as he was a Calder finalist and everything, but I look at the same way as mentioned above--if our guys don't get in, at least that'll be energy saved for the finish towards April and beyond.

It's a media-driven event and hasn't featured the best players in a long time... who watches this anyway? :unsure: Too many blatant snubs and bias for me - the numbers don't lie, and players who should absolutely be there based on their performances are passed over for political and commercial reasons.

Not watching. Don't care. <_<

It's become quite clear that Hawks fans are just running rampant on this vote, especially with Toews. We gotta get Dats, Hank and Lids up above this garbage.

http://vote.nhl.com/

IMO, no we don't. All-Star voting is flawed anyway. You can vote over and over and over again if you want. Secondly, it's a popularity contest anyway. I don't even pay attention to the All-Star game.

I like the skills competition, but other than that, I'd be happy if NO Redwings even played in the All-Star game. Take the time off. This is a cup run year anyway.

With the way captains are picking teams this year, don't be shocked if Crosby and Ovechkin are selected as the captains by the NHL brass. With the whole East vs. West thing off their backs, they can do it now.

Also, it's a complete joke that Fleury was even nominated. He's mostly played like horses**t so far this year.

Edited by F2B&G

It's almost as bad as the FSN-D Mcdonald's player of the game vote.

"Cleary with a 3 point night...our McDonald's player of the game is Henrik Zetterberg!"

I believe the role of PotG stealer belongs to Filppula. I swear it's the teenage girls in the audience who vote for that sometimes. If Val gets 2pts one night someone else will need 5 to unseat him. :lol:

Also, it's a complete joke that Fleury was even nominated. He's mostly played like horses**t so far this year in his NHL career.

Fixed it for you.

Also, it's a complete joke that Fleury was even nominated. He's mostly played like horses**t so far this year.

I wouldn't call it a nomination, he's on the ballot, along with 100 or so other guys. The reason he is on there is simple, we won the cup 2 years ago (and had awesome numbers during those playoffs). Do I think he deserves to make the all star team this year....NO, do I think he will make the team this year....NO. I don't care if he's on the ballot or not, he won't make the team, so what's the big deal?

There is no question he has s*** the bed pretty big early in the season, but he is 8-0-1 in his last 9 games with a 1.64GAA and .944SV%.

This is why you have guys like Toews and Keith high up there in votes as well, bit of a spill over from the cup winning season last year....which again, I don't have a problem with. Why would you select an allstar team based on how guys do 20 games into a season? What about the 40+ games they played the year before after last year's all star game, shouldnt' that count for something?

In 2009, there weren't any Wings in the All Star Game.

Now that was funny.

But it wasn't because no Wings made the team.

With the way captains are picking teams this year, don't be shocked if Crosby and Ovechkin are selected as the captains by the NHL brass. With the whole East vs. West thing off their backs, they can do it now.

I'm still hoping that Staal gets picked as captain since it's in Raleigh. Hell, anybody but Crybaby 87 and Ovechkin.

I'm still hoping that Staal gets picked as captain since it's in Raleigh. Hell, anybody but Crybaby 87 and Ovechkin.

Staal's had a pretty impressive all-star game history so it'd definitely be cool to see him get that reward on his home ice.

All-Star games, no matter if it's the NHL, Major League Baseball, the NBA, the NFL Pro Bowl, or minor-league sports, have always been and will always be a popularity contest and will have die-hard fans from all teams stuffing the ballot boxes with their favorite players. It's lame but it's not really a brand new stunning discovery.