• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stolberg

Do you think Babcock will ever win the Jack Adams Award?

Rate this topic

Guest Stolberg

Babcock-headshot2.gif

Or will the voters continue with the "greatest improvement from the year prior" theme? Measuring a coach's contributions to a team seems pretty tricky to me.

I think there is an assumption that the Red Wings will continue winning no matter who the coach is. Do you think that is fair/justified?

For reference

nope

seems whatever he does won't be good enough

the Wings still managed the 5th seed last year even with all those injuries and he wasn't even a nominee let alone a winner

Edited by ricky0034

The Wings could win the presidents trophy and the cup for 3 years in a row and Babs wouldnt win it. The trophy is given to the coach of the team that improved most from the previous year. Even though Babs might be a better coach than the Jack Adams winner, the Wings were never bottom feeders. As sad as it all sounds, its true.

Babcock wouldn't win it if he coached the wings to a presidents trophy and a cup, even if they finished with a record year, and swept every single team.

In order to get the coach of the year award you have to have a team that otherwise, sucks.

By the time the Redwings suck, chances are good Babcock will be retired.

A more valid debate is....will Babcock make the HOF?

Guest Stolberg
A more valid debate is....will Babcock make the HOF?

he has won pretty much everything, but still has a long way to go.

guys like bowman and irvin coached 20+ seasons and 500+ wins

He'll never win it because the Wings will always be a good team under him. I think he'll be happy with his Stanley Cups and Gold Medals :)

He definately deserves to win it. The jack Adams Award should be named :"Best Comeback Player of the year...errrr....team of the year.... errrrrr.... best coach award"

Guest Hatethedrake!

No. The Jack Adams award should be called the MY TEAM SUCKS AND I STILL GOT THEM INTO THE PLAYOFFS AWARD. Babs has no chance because the Wings are expected to make the playoffs every year. It's meaningless anyways. I compare it to Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl. Does it make him better than Dan Fouts or Dan Marino who didn't win a Super Bowl? Hardly. I don't think anyone would say that Ted Nolan is a better coach than Babs.

I didn't even realize that until I saw this post. I just assumed he had already. I mean, he IS the best coach in hockey. There is no question in my mind about that. Maybe I'm biased or maybe I'm looking at the fact that he took the freakin Ducks to the Finals in 2003, won the Presidents trophy in 2006, won back to back Campbell Conference trophies and a Stanley Cup. Oh yeah and a gold medal. He's the best, that award is a joke.

The Jack Adams is one of the most meaningless (or veiled meaning at least) awards. Consider for a moment that Bowman only won it twice. Just think about that for a second.

Yep, I've pointed this out before. Bowman won in twice his entire career. To put that in perspective Jacques Lemaire, Pat Quinn + Jacques Demers all won it twice and Pat Burns won it 3 times. Those 4 between them won a grand total of 3 cups. To win it Bowman had to produce the '77 Canadiens and the '96 Redwings (132 + 131 points respectively).

Babcock couldn't even win it with the 2008 machine (1st in points, shots, shots against, goals against, 2nd in goals despite playing an entire month with Lebda-Lilja as our top pairing). He's going to have to produce a 60 win season, and even then its liable to be stolen by a coach who leads a team on a hot streak at the end of season to get in the playoffs.

Sucks for Uncle Mike for sure, pretty much the only thing missing off his resume. The HOF is a certainty in a few years.

Turning the Detroit Red Wings into Cup contenders isn't exactly going to blow the minds of hockey writers. They're looking for more of a rags to riches story than riches to riches.

no.

but he will make the hall of fame so ill take the trade off

It's pretty early to say that so confidently. If Eric Lindros taught us anything it's that you can't count your chickens before they hatch.

The guy is the best coach in the league.

Exactly - As so many others have already touched on in this thread, it's incredibly unlikely, because it usually only goes to coaches that take bottom dwellers and make them competitive, so unless he leaves the Wings, he'll probably never get the recognition he deserves... I personally hope he sets a record for tenure with a club(modern era) and coaches here until he's ready to retire or move to the front office - I'd much rather him walk away with 0 Jack Adams awards and multiple Stanley Cup rings when all is said and done, if that's the trade off we have to take...

Thats right, the team is only good because of Holland, and Holland is only good cos he got lucky with Datsyuk & Zetterberg, and Datsyuk and zetterberg are only good because they play with Lidstrom, and Lidstrom is only good because of Howards goaltending, and Howard is only good because of the system Babcock has in place, and Babcock is only good because of the team Holland assembled.......

Or at least, thats what NHL journalists seem to think.