zombi

Bert: (One of) the most hated athletes.

Rate this topic

As far as the NHL goes, the guys that seem the most hated are guys like:

Sean Avery

Matt Cooke

Jarkko Ruutu

Sidney Crosby

PK Subban is a guy that seems to be getting some hatred, like with the Mike Richards episode. Bertuzzi doesn't seem to be anywhere as hated as he used to be right after the incident.

he deserves the hate he gets. im surprised cooke isnt on there too, seems like most people on the list are actually talented so that would explain him not being there.

I do hate Sean Avery. Not as much as Cooke but Avery is a pretty big scumbag as well. The whole Jason Blake thing was just low.

I do hate Pronger... At the same time, I wonder how much I really hate a player when I'd love to have them on my own team. Avery and Cooke are guys I don't ever want on my team. I can't say that about Pronger. In my eyes he and Nick on the same pair would be the ultimate dman combo in today's game.

I actually rarely hear Burtuzzi's name come up as a hated athlete. With his public apologies regarding "the incident" and severe suspension, I think most people who know about what happened (aka more than just the casual hockey fan) are willing to forgive him.

Bert is probably still hated in Colorado, but that's a given. We as Wings fans will forever hate Claude Lemieux, and he didn't end Draper's career.

he deserves the hate he gets. im surprised cooke isnt on there too, seems like most people on the list are actually talented so that would explain him not being there.

Zinggggg.

That list is pretty cruddy. A lot of those people are just tools, but not hated.

I actually rarely hear Burtuzzi's name come up as a hated athlete. With his public apologies regarding "the incident" and severe suspension, I think most people who know about what happened (aka more than just the casual hockey fan) are willing to forgive him.

Bert is probably still hated in Colorado, but that's a given. We as Wings fans will forever hate Claude Lemieux, and he didn't end Draper's career.

I don't hate Lemieux, he was a damn good player. I hated him maybe a decade ago, but not anymore, I have much respect for him.

Guest Stolberg
Forward Sean Avery, whom the Wings traded to Los Angeles last season, was asked before the game why he was wearing No. 19, the same number as Yzerman.

'It's the tribute to Mr. Yzerman's last year in the NHL, the swan song, the stick-collecting tour,' Avery said with a smirk.

When Yzerman heard that after the game, he smiled and said of Avery, 'He may lead the league in quotes this year.'

Yzerman burns are the best.

Zinggggg.

That list is pretty cruddy. A lot of those people are just tools, but not hated.

I don't hate Lemieux, he was a damn good player. I hated him maybe a decade ago, but not anymore, I have much respect for him.

A good player, but a dirty one. I have a hard time respecting him.

Guest Crymson

We as Wings fans will forever hate Claude Lemieux, and he didn't end Draper's career.

I don't hate Claude anymore. He got the snot beaten out of him, and his team later on got eliminated in the playoffs.

Funny thing to the Colorado situation.. depending on which fans you talk to, some are totally cool with Bert now. My mom's a diehard Avs fan and she's got absolutely no problem with Big Bert. He's done his penance, and that was enough. But she sees the incident differently than most Avs fans I think :P

As far as the NHL goes, the guys that seem the most hated are guys like:

Sean Avery

Matt Cooke

Jarkko Ruutu

Sidney Crosby

PK Subban is a guy that seems to be getting some hatred, like with the Mike Richards episode. Bertuzzi doesn't seem to be anywhere as hated as he used to be right after the incident.

You wouldn't think it, but Ovechkin has a pretty big hate following too. I noticed this when watching videos on Youtube. I'm pretty sure though that most of the Ovechkin haters, are actually just Crosby fans.

Was watching Datsyuk videos, and found he had a few haters too. I wasn't even mad. It actually made me smile :)

I don't know if it's just me or not, but I freaking LOVE when people hate on the Wings. It's the same feeling I get when an ex-girlfriend tries to get back with me. That feeling of "OH yeah, you know you love it."

As far as Bert, I can see why he was hated during his stint with Vancouver, but lets be honest. That dude has completely reinvented himself, especially this year. Bertuzzi v2010, is not even close to the same man he use to be. Thankfully, his v2010 is pretty good in it's own way :)

Hey I'm not going to lie, I hate Bert. I can't believe we let him wear the winged wheel. I didn't like him before he came, I didn't like him when he left, and I still don't like him now that he is back.

You must be lost. Let me point you in the right direction.

http://www.sidneycrosbyfans.info/

I guess it's understandable, but I had no idea the hatred for Bert was still that prevalent. I seems that most would cool off about it now.

Check it out: http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40118770

Funny that Avery and Pronger got nods.

I was very surprised to see that Crosby wasn't on there.

A lot of fans choose to remember what they want to or shape their opinions of athletes by limited actions. Bertuzzi, unfortuantely, will be largely remembered that night vs. the Canucks. It's stupid, not really all that fair, but some people just don't, or won't know any better for better/worse.

Obviously what Bertuzzi did was absolutely wrong, but he seems like he's basically done more than enough in trying to amend for it, continuosly trying to apologize to Steve Moore, finding closure, not really needing to talk about it anymore (but not dodging questions if asked about it), etc.

It's probably a past chapter in his life that he won't forget, but has probably learned a good life lesson from. People bringing it up or continuously being vigorously upset about it is just like pouring salt in an open wound. Have to just take him for his word there and thankfully he hasn't done anything else stupid.

Kinda like Michael Vick right now since he's hot news right now for pretty much all the good reasons. Did what he do was wrong being involved in the dispicable actions of dogs? Absolutely. Did he serve his time for doing wrong? Yes. Did he learn his lesson from being in prison and suspended from the NFL? Yes, I think so. Will he do something stupid again? Perhaps, but you can only go by his words actions/lack thereof right now in avoiding stupidity thankfully and it seems like he's turning a corner in his life. More power to him, like Bertuzzi, in getting some form of closure in these incidents and becoming better because of them.

I'll always recognize, understand, or say or whatever when people did something wrong, but I typically try not to be vengeful or continuously angry about things and try not to hold grudges in life just to hold them.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Hehe Avery is my kind of scumbag in all honesty. If only for calling Brodeur fat. Some of the time he gets insufferable, but then again I can always watch this when it happens :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxPwnB8U_cc

Almost adds to his character to me, in that he's willing to do it.

As far as Bert, I can see why he was hated during his stint with Vancouver, but lets be honest. That dude has completely reinvented himself, especially this year. Bertuzzi v2010, is not even close to the same man he use to be. Thankfully, his v2010 is pretty good in it's own way :)

This. Agree 100%.

A lot of fans choose to remember what they want to or shape their opinions of athletes by limited actions. Bertuzzi, unfortuantely, will be largely remembered that night vs. the Canucks. It's stupid, not really all that fair, but some people just don't, or won't know any better for better/worse.

Obviously what Bertuzzi did was absolutely wrong, but he seems like he's basically done more than enough in trying to amend for it, continuosly trying to apologize to Steve Moore, finding closure, not really needing to talk about it anymore (but not dodging questions if asked about it), etc.

It's probably a past chapter in his life that he won't forget, but has probably learned a good life lesson from. People bringing it up or continuously being vigorously upset about it is just like pouring salt in an open wound. Have to just take him for his word there and thankfully he hasn't done anything else stupid.

Kinda like Michael Vick right now since he's hot news right now for pretty much all the good reasons. Did what he do was wrong being involved in the dispicable actions of dogs? Absolutely. Did he serve his time for doing wrong? Yes. Did he learn his lesson from being in prison and suspended from the NFL? Yes, I think so. Will he do something stupid again? Perhaps, but you can only go by his words actions/lack thereof right now in avoiding stupidity thankfully and it seems like he's turning a corner in his life. More power to him, like Bertuzzi, in getting some form of closure in these incidents and becoming better because of them.

I'll always recognize, understand, or say or whatever when people did something wrong, but I typically try not to be vengeful or continuously angry about things and try not to hold grudges in life just to hold them.

While I understand your analogy, what Bert did was nowhere near as despicable as what Vick did, please don't compare the two. What Bert did happens (happened) in hockey a lot, you mess with a team's star you have to expect some sort of retaliation. Did Bert go on the ice that night intending to end Moore's career? Probably not, but when the passion of the moment takes over accidents happen. Vick knowingly ran a dog fighting ring, and tortured and killed innocent and helpless dogs. Not the same!!!

While I understand your analogy, what Bert did was nowhere near as despicable as what Vick did, please don't compare the two. What Bert did happens (happened) in hockey a lot, you mess with a team's star you have to expect some sort of retaliation. Did Bert go on the ice that night intending to end Moore's career? Probably not, but when the passion of the moment takes over accidents happen. Vick knowingly ran a dog fighting ring, and tortured and killed innocent and helpless dogs. Not the same!!!

You're detouring bigtime from the main point. Regardless of if you, I or anybody else thinks how one act is more/less heinous, both realized they made huge mistakes in their behavior and acts, both deservedly were suspended and/or did time for their actions, both men seemed to have learn from their actions and become better people and productive at what they do for a living once again. Recognize and never forget that what both these guys did was wrong, but be happy or give them credit for turning themselves around.