• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zombi

Bert: (One of) the most hated athletes.

Rate this topic

This. Agree 100%.

While I understand your analogy, what Bert did was nowhere near as despicable as what Vick did, please don't compare the two. What Bert did happens (happened) in hockey a lot, you mess with a team's star you have to expect some sort of retaliation. Did Bert go on the ice that night intending to end Moore's career? Probably not, but when the passion of the moment takes over accidents happen. Vick knowingly ran a dog fighting ring, and tortured and killed innocent and helpless dogs. Not the same!!!

Find me 3 instances where a player broke another players neck. That does not happen "a lot". And I am very very very torn on which is worst. Killing animals in the most inhumane ways possible, or nearly killing someone. The animal lover in me says "how could kill all those defenseless animals" and the other side of me says "When it comes down to it, a human life is worth a billion times more than any animals life and the fact remains the same that Bert almost killed a man."

I guess my point is, it's not all black and white. But I guess if I had to rank which athlete I hate more, it'd be Vick because there is no way he should have been allowed back into sports after what that sick sick sick man did. And the sad part is, his jersey sales are in the top 25 of league.

Edited by Konnan511

Guest scottj

I think he was trying to say that people get cheapshotted all the time, not that people get their necks broken all the time... I could be wrong though, I'm not a pediatrician

I think his point was that it is a very intentional outcome vs a very unintentional outcome

My one friend thinks there's nothing wrong with vick... "He didn't actually kill any of them!"... That's just a retarded excuse. "Its in his culture!"... Yeah slavery was in ours til we evolved out of it. I don't know if he's just a fanboy cause he's good or because he's on his fantasy team but its reallll ******* annoying

Find me 3 instances where a player broke another players neck. That does not happen "a lot". And I am very very very torn on which is worst. Killing animals in the most inhumane ways possible, or nearly killing someone. The animal lover in me says "how could kill all those defenseless animals" and the other side of me says "When it comes down to it, a human life is worth a billion times more than any animals life and the fact remains the same that Bert almost killed a man."

I guess my point is, it's not all black and white. But I guess if I had to rank which athlete I hate more, it'd be Vick because there is no way he should have been allowed back into sports after what that sick sick sick man did. And the sad part is, his jersey sales are in the top 25 of league.

What I meant was that in hockey, people retaliate when another team's player wrongs your team (see McCarty clobbering Lemieux above). None of these retaliations has the intention of breaking anyone's neck, which is why I said that Bert didn't go after Moore intending to do so.

You wouldn't think it, but Ovechkin has a pretty big hate following too. I noticed this when watching videos on Youtube. I'm pretty sure though that most of the Ovechkin haters, are actually just Crosby fans.

Was watching Datsyuk videos, and found he had a few haters too. I wasn't even mad. It actually made me smile :)

I don't know if it's just me or not, but I freaking LOVE when people hate on the Wings. It's the same feeling I get when an ex-girlfriend tries to get back with me. That feeling of "OH yeah, you know you love it."

As far as Bert, I can see why he was hated during his stint with Vancouver, but lets be honest. That dude has completely reinvented himself, especially this year. Bertuzzi v2010, is not even close to the same man he use to be. Thankfully, his v2010 is pretty good in it's own way :)

You must be lost. Let me point you in the right direction.

http://www.sidneycrosbyfans.info/

Ovechkin has a hate following because he is a brash, cocky, person who puts up big stats but chokes when the pressure is on...if you have a "look at me" personality then it behooves you to win titles and big games to validate the fact that you act like an a**hole....Look at Michael Jordan and Lebron James, they're equally selfish but MJ has the rings...and thus a much smaller "anti-" following

Joey Barton - Newcastle United: Hated by many for his off-field conduct, which includes once sticking a cigar in the eye of an opposing player, resulting in permanent eye damage.

Wow talk about a DB

What I meant was that in hockey, people retaliate when another team's player wrongs your team (see McCarty clobbering Lemieux above). None of these retaliations has the intention of breaking anyone's neck, which is why I said that Bert didn't go after Moore intending to do so.

I agree.

And I disregard this poll starting with the way it is framed: It is impliying that it's a given that said athlete is hated, it's just up to the pollster to say how much. The casual sports fan is to click on a picture of an athlete and say how much they hate them with the scale already based at 5; the pollster either has to lower or raise the cursor.

The casual sports fan who knows less about hockey than they do womens tennis is going to look at a picture of Bertuzzi not knowing anything of what his teammates think of him, not knowing anything about what his coaches have thought of him, or his peers throughout the league think of him, they are just going to remember ESPN showing the clip over and over again of him jumping Moore and the tragic result and they are going to think "oh yeah, I remember that Bertuzzi hit on that guy, he was scum!".

That was a very bad thing he did, (and as already stated in an above post, he didn't go looking to break Moore's neck and end his career like Vick went looking to electrocute dogs and watch them die as he took pleasure in killing them with his bare hands). Point is, it was a one time, stupid, unfortunate thing that happenned as Bertuzzi felt the weight of his team on his shoulders to be the guy that evenned the score trying to get retribution for a cheap hit on his friend and Captian, as is the "code" in hockey. He went about it wrongly, and the results were horrible.

McCarty could have easily turned and caught Lemiuex in the adam's apple by mistake with that first punch he thruogh that Lemiuex was not ready for. Yeah, he could have killed him with that punch. Thank God it didn't and we all got to rejoice in McCarty getting evenning the score for Drapes.

I challenge anybody to cite a 2nd and 3rd dirty hit ever by Todd Bertuzzi.

Edited by T.Low

I find it werid that Bert is on that list. Sure he was the most hated when he sucker punched. It is strange when I was in Vancouver last month for the Wings game, the Canuck fans were booing him more than when Chelios played there

Guest Stolberg

Yeah, Kobe's on it. I also don't get how if they have Bert there, why isn't Heatley on there as well?

why would heatley be on there?

I dunno Konnan. I feel like theres a lot of people who wouldn't care if Matt Cooke;s career got ended right now. I see people say it a lot on here actually. Moore was just as bad as Cooke.

The thing about the whole broken neck thing is that Bert didnt grab his chin and twist navy seal style to try and kill him. Bert got sick of Cookes dirty play, even when he had taken Naslund out, next game he came out chirping and playing dirty.

He wouldn't face Bert like a man which is what you gotta do sometimes. And I am still a firm believer that the pile up broke his neck, not Bert.

A dirty player who made plays that could've ended other players careers had his ended. He received compensation and is fine making a living. He is also not a cripple at all. I hold nothing against Bert for what he did

Guest Stolberg

Because he got a teammate killed from drunk driving during his Atlanta years, and people still hold a grudge against that and don't believe he should be playing.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1635216

difference: one was during a game and intentional (to an extent), the other wasn't

not that those fans would care anyway, i guess.

Edited by Stolberg

Not surprised about the Bert hate, most people have no knowledge of what actually happened in that incident and overreact.

I forgave Bert before he ever came to the Wings. He made a bad decision with unfortunate and flukey results, and he paid big time for it.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1635216

difference: one was during a game and intentional (to an extent), the other wasn't

not that those fans would care anyway, i guess.

Well still, if they include other people on the list with off-field issues that got people to hate them, same should be applied with Heatley. After all, even though it says he was under the legal limit of alcohol, he was still driving carelessly, got a teammate killed, and was charged with vehicular homicide and others.

Guest Stolberg

Well still, if they include other people on the list with off-field issues that got people to hate them, same should be applied with Heatley. After all, even though it says he was under the legal limit of alcohol, he was still driving carelessly, got a teammate killed, and was charged with vehicular homicide and others.

yeah i guess so

next game he came out chirping and playing dirty.

He wouldn't face Bert like a man which is what you gotta do sometimes.

A dirty player who made plays that could've ended other players careers had his ended. He received compensation and is fine making a living. He is also not a cripple at all. I hold nothing against Bert for what he did

You, sir, have some very good insights.

I do think his neck broke at the precise moment of head impacting the ice from Bert's one handed strength driving him into it, an instant before the pile piled on. Purely speculative, though.

Can you imagine a coach or another player walking into Moore's hospital room and saying what half the people wanted to say; "Dude wtf was your problem? Why didn't you punch the guy when you had the chance instead or turning and skating away like a *****?"

Not surprised about the Bert hate, most people have no knowledge of what actually happened in that incident and overreact.

I forgave Bert before he ever came to the Wings. He made a bad decision with unfortunate and flukey results, and he paid big time for it.

Well put.

Absolutely cannot be compared to Vick and should never be on any list Vick is on.

Qoute from (Pit Bulls get a ) BAD RAP blog by Donna, a pit bull owner that the feds needed as an expert witness:

"Everyone we worked with was deeply affected by the case. The details that got to me then and stay with me today involve the swimming pool that was used to kill some of the dogs. Jumper cables were clipped onto the ears of underperforming dogs, then, just like with a car, the cables were connected to the terminals of car batteries before lifting and tossing the shamed dogs into the water. Most of Vick's dogs were small - 40lbs or so - so tossing them in would've been fast and easy work for thick athlete arms. We don't know how many suffered this premeditated murder, but the damage to the pool walls tells a story. It seems that while they were scrambling to escape, they scratched and clawed at the pool liner and bit at the dented aluminum sides like a hungry dog on a tin can."

http://badrap-blog.blogspot.com/2009/05/op-eds-on-vick-news.html

Bertuzzi is a big strong guy trying to carry out the code and made one bad decision that came with very unexpected results, and as it stands today, the victim is alright. Vick ran this dog fighting ring for 6 years ; he is a sick person.

Edited by T.Low

Bertuzzi is a good player and I can deal with him being on the Wings. I still don't like him.

What many of you have forgotten about the Moore incident is that Bertuzzi ignored his coach and stayed on the ice when he was supposed to have left for a line change, so that he could be on the ice with Moore. He then followed Moore around the ice trying to instigate a fight, while Moore ignored him and tried to stay with the play. Bertuzzi got frustrated, punched Moore in the back of the head, and drove him face first into the ice.

None of that involves anyone other than Bertuzzi. It's not "the code" unless that changed from having to face fists if you threw a dirty hit to actually having to get injured; Moore had already fought in retaliation for the Naslund hit.

Even given all of this, Heatley deserves more hate. He was driving intoxicated, through a residential area, and was going 50 mph over the speed limit. He was going so fast that his car hit an iron gate and SPLIT IN HALF. Dan Snyder, his teammate and passenger, was ejected from the car; he fell into a coma and later died. Heatley served three years probation as part of a plea bargain in which he plead guilty to second-degree vehicular homicide, driving too fast for condition, failure to maintain a lane and speeding. He is technically a convicted murderer, and rightfully so.