• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
F.Michael

Which #26 would you rather have?

Rate this topic

120 members have voted

1. 1. Of the those who donned #26 - who would you rather have today (if it were possible)?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

Even though it's been many years since Kocur, and Sheppard donned the Winged Wheel; if it were possible - who would you rather see today wearing the #26 for the Red Wings?

EDIT - screwed up while trying to add the poll :blush:

Edited by F.Michael

Crusher no doubt. While I have no problem with Huds, I do think that Joey is just the 26 I'd take as this is the topic of said post.

Given the option of having them all at Hudler's age?

That's pretty close. Kocur was good, but he was really just a third/fourth line puncher on a weak team when he was 26. He would definitely bring the enforcer element the Wings don't have as much as the fans want...but it's not really a need either. Sheppard was a natural sniper like Hudler, and slower than Hudler. He also didn't have the playmaking ability Hudler does. But he had possibly the best set of hands in the game in his prime. The big question is... would Sheppard be the big-time goal scorer he was in today's fast-paced game? And how would Hudler have fared in the early 90s?

Hudler over Sheppard based on wider arsenal. Kocur loses out in the competition because his biggest developments as a player came after the age of 30.

Ray Sheppard.

yikes, maybe the most one-dimensional player in the history of the NHL.

remember that goal in calgary he scored when he fell down, like, twice, and still managed to score a goal on a break-away? who the H was on defense for calgary in that game??

if kocur didnt win the cup with the wings in 97' and 98', i'd pick him.

but sheppard being another player we let go of right before the cup years, i'd have to go with him if i could throw him back in the mix.

i think he deserves a cup for sure.

he went all the way to the finals with the wings in 95 and got swept, the next season he went to san jose who then threw him to the panthers, and they went to the finals and also got swept.

ray sheppard for sure.

teebo likes this

Kocur because he is what this team needs. Would probably be the top heavyweight in the game right now in his prime and could play a regular third line shift.

Hudler is a third line player who does nothing so why anyone would vote him is beyond me (except eva and his irrational mancrush)

Kocur in his prime for sure. He could score and added a definite entertainment factor to the game, let alone sticking up for his teammates.

Hockeymom1960 likes this

yikes, maybe the most one-dimensional player in the history of the NHL.

remember that goal in calgary he scored when he fell down, like, twice, and still managed to score a goal on a break-away? who the H was on defense for calgary in that game??

He wasn't on a breakaway. Ray Sheppard was so slow, he could be cherry picking and get a pass at center ice with all opposing players behind the goal line, and it still wouldn't count as a breakaway because the defense would catch him before he made the offensive zone.

He wasn't on a breakaway. Ray Sheppard was so slow, he could be cherry picking and get a pass at center ice with all opposing players behind the goal line, and it still wouldn't count as a breakaway because the defense would catch him before he made the offensive zone.

it was a breakaway, and he fell, twice if i remember right, which makes it all the more ridiculous.

Ray Sheppard.

For me it's a toss up between Sheppard, and Kocur with Sheppard edging out Kocur by the slightest of margins.

Hudler wished he had Sheppard's hands, and knack for goal scoring.

I found this funny :

"Since the 2003-04 season, Jiri Hudler has worn 26 for the Red Wings. Ten other players have worn the jersey previous to Hudler, including current Tampa Bay Lightning head coach Barry Melrose and assistant coach Wes Walz. The other eight Wings were Doug Roberts, Al Cameron, Steve Short, Jim Korn, Ken Solheim, Larry Trader, Joe Kocur, and Ray Sheppard"

Some real big names there lol !

Obv the quote is a little old because hairdo Melrose doesnt coach the Lightning anymore !

Edited by puckbags

not even a discussion. Kocur around 30 or so would make us one of the scariest teams to play against.

against the ducks:

Teemu "they're cycling again,....I hate when they cycle,...parros, go goon it up"

Parros :looks at a smiling Joey who then winks his way: "F no! You do it!"

Scariest knockout power the nhl has ever seen. Probert was the best in my opinion, but no one and I mean NO ONE had that knockout ability like Kocur

That's a tough choice because the game is so different now. Hudler isn't fleet of foot by any means but he's far more suited to today's game than the other two. My first instinct was to pick Kocur since he'd be my all time favourite #26 to wear the winged wheel, but if we're talking about NHL hockey in 2010 I have to pick the guy who plays a style suited to winning in today's NHL.

That's a tough choice because the game is so different now. Hudler isn't fleet of foot by any means but he's far more suited to today's game than the other two. My first instinct was to pick Kocur since he'd be my all time favourite #26 to wear the winged wheel, but if we're talking about NHL hockey in 2010 I have to pick the guy who plays a style suited to winning in today's NHL.

How so?

IMHO Sheppard had unbelievable hands (at least when he was a Red Wing), and if he had better wheels he probably would've been a 45-50 goal guy year in - year out.

I know it's a challenge when comparing players from different eras - however I'm of the belief that Hudler takes a back seat to Sheppard in the offensive category.

You mean a soft euro who is overpaid, plays lazy along the boards, gets knocked off the puck and doesn't go to the net?

Yeah, Hudler is so good for our winning style. Where would we be without him? :thumbup:

not even a discussion. Kocur around 30 or so would make us one of the scariest teams to play against.

against the ducks:

Teemu "they're cycling again,....I hate when they cycle,...parros, go goon it up"

Parros :looks at a smiling Joey who then winks his way: "F no! You do it!"

Scariest knockout power the nhl has ever seen. Probert was the best in my opinion, but no one and I mean NO ONE had that knockout ability like Kocur

Exactly. Kocur in a heartbeat.

Kocur's right hand is worth the weight of two enforcers on your team. Plus in his prime he was a decent skater and grinder too, not just an enforcer.

Having him on this current Wings lineup would make them scarier for sure.