• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

I know many people have wondered how many goals the Red Wings have given up during the final 2:00 minutes of a period. I was a bit bored, so I broke down the statistics. I charted the goals scored for and against during the final 2:00 minutes of a period during regulation (last 1:00 minute of OT). The stats are pretty close, for and against.

Enjoy!

Posted Image

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

The differential is only -3.

#3 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

the wings have had their fare share of late period goals. remember last year when they had like 2 games out west in a row where they tied/won in final seconds?

#4 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

Did you exclude empty netters from that list?
"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#5 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

EV-EN

#6 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

Nice job! I've definitely wondered where we stood on that this year, I just didn't have the time to research it out.

Much less put it together in a spreadsheet that makes sense...

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#7 truebladearmy

truebladearmy

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

22% of the goals scored against us came in the final 2 minutes of a period.

Considering, the final two minutes of each period, accounts for only 10% of the game but 22% of the goals against us, we are over twice as likely to be scored on in the final 2 minutes of a period, than in any other given 2 minute span of the game.

13 goals scored against in the final 2 minutes of each period, or 6 minutes.
46 total goals scored against in the other 54 minutes.

We still gotta tighten up those final 2 minutes :)

Conversely, we've scored 12% of our goals in the final 2 minutes.

It means offensively, we don't really score more in the final two minutes than we do during the rest of the game. 12% of our goals in the final 10% of each period, versus 22% of our opponents goals in that same span.

Edited by truebladearmy, 02 December 2010 - 10:50 PM.

#8 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

22% of the goals scored against us came in the final 2 minutes of a period.

Considering, the final two minutes of each period, accounts for only 10% of the game but 22% of the goals against us, we are over twice as likely to be scored on in the final 2 minutes of a period, than in any other given 2 minute span of the game.

13 goals scored against in the final 2 minutes of each period, or 6 minutes.
46 total goals scored against in the other 54 minutes.

We still gotta tighten up those final 2 minutes :)

Conversely, we've scored 12% of our goals in the final 2 minutes.

It means offensively, we don't really score more in the final two minutes than we do during the rest of the game. 12% of our goals in the final 10% of each period, versus 22% of our opponents goals in that same span.

You're forgetting that the Wings score considerably more goals then do their opponents. At present, the Wings have given up only 75% as many goals as they've scored.

Edited by Crymson, 03 December 2010 - 11:23 AM.

#9 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

But -4 at even strength, which I feel is a more telling stat. Obviously it's not a big difference, but it's be nice to be closer to zero or in the black.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#10 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the info, well broken down and charted. :clap: :clap:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#11 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

The stat that really jumped out at me while compiling the data was the difference between the first and second periods. We are -6 in the first period, and a +3 in the second period. 7 out of the 22 games (32%) we have given up a goal in the final 2:00 minutes of the first period. Obviously I don't have the data compiled to compare to the other 29 teams, but that seems pretty high. Other than that, the stats are pretty even.