• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
thegerkin

Goals Scored During Final Minutes Of The Period

Rate this topic

I know many people have wondered how many goals the Red Wings have given up during the final 2:00 minutes of a period. I was a bit bored, so I broke down the statistics. I charted the goals scored for and against during the final 2:00 minutes of a period during regulation (last 1:00 minute of OT). The stats are pretty close, for and against.

Enjoy!

33cozn9.jpg

Nice job! I've definitely wondered where we stood on that this year, I just didn't have the time to research it out.

Much less put it together in a spreadsheet that makes sense...

22% of the goals scored against us came in the final 2 minutes of a period.

Considering, the final two minutes of each period, accounts for only 10% of the game but 22% of the goals against us, we are over twice as likely to be scored on in the final 2 minutes of a period, than in any other given 2 minute span of the game.

13 goals scored against in the final 2 minutes of each period, or 6 minutes.

46 total goals scored against in the other 54 minutes.

We still gotta tighten up those final 2 minutes :)

Conversely, we've scored 12% of our goals in the final 2 minutes.

It means offensively, we don't really score more in the final two minutes than we do during the rest of the game. 12% of our goals in the final 10% of each period, versus 22% of our opponents goals in that same span.

Edited by truebladearmy

Guest Crymson

22% of the goals scored against us came in the final 2 minutes of a period.

Considering, the final two minutes of each period, accounts for only 10% of the game but 22% of the goals against us, we are over twice as likely to be scored on in the final 2 minutes of a period, than in any other given 2 minute span of the game.

13 goals scored against in the final 2 minutes of each period, or 6 minutes.

46 total goals scored against in the other 54 minutes.

We still gotta tighten up those final 2 minutes :)

Conversely, we've scored 12% of our goals in the final 2 minutes.

It means offensively, we don't really score more in the final two minutes than we do during the rest of the game. 12% of our goals in the final 10% of each period, versus 22% of our opponents goals in that same span.

You're forgetting that the Wings score considerably more goals then do their opponents. At present, the Wings have given up only 75% as many goals as they've scored.

Edited by Crymson

The stat that really jumped out at me while compiling the data was the difference between the first and second periods. We are -6 in the first period, and a +3 in the second period. 7 out of the 22 games (32%) we have given up a goal in the final 2:00 minutes of the first period. Obviously I don't have the data compiled to compare to the other 29 teams, but that seems pretty high. Other than that, the stats are pretty even.